Erasing history...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
An interesting question. Given those opposition numbers, you would certainly think so. But people have such short political memories...

I would suspect some suspect editing. It's a great topic for conversation. Shouldn't we ought to want to know more of the why now? Who? This isn't BLM in charge down there.

Midnightrider

What about Malcolm X? Should he be washed away? Robert Byrd? LBJ was a notorious bigot. Some credit him with helping blacks finally attain full civil rights. Don't we WANT history as a teacher, warts and all?

Jefferson Davis, in many respects, was one of the most pure public servants one could ever wish for. Hos vote was not for sale and he would not make back scratching deals. He wanted any proposal to rise or fall on it's own merits. He was a man of enormous integrity and dignity and respect for others. Yet he was a white supremacist who believed, firmly, blacks were genetically inferior.
no one is being washed away, they are taking down a monument that glorified white supremacy. we still have the history. none of that changed
I don't. My kids kids might. I oppose ALL censorship. This doesn't mean the klan deserves their own monument on the mall in DC but they ought to be part of any decent curriculum, including it's founder, Nathan Bedford Forrest, and the man who disbanded it as an evil.

Nathan Bedford Forrest.

And you dont need a monumnet saying NBF was great because of his racism to learn about it :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

PsyOps

Pixelated
This was a monument to white supremacy. no one said removing it will end racism. It will just remove a monument to an ideal that does not represent the people of NO any longer. it is their right to do so.

read the history of the liberty place monument. it has been at issue since it was erected. If a majority in our country want to change the flag, that's what we should do. But that's not the case

Wow, you have no sense of tradition. You seem only able to yield to every person that gets offended by something. You don't believe there is anything to fight for in this country.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I really don't care about these monuments anymore. If the people of these districts are that offended by this sort of thing, by all means remove it; be damned the consequences of attempting to erase history. While that may appear to be a good thing in trying to erase the memory of this blight on our history, you know what happens when we try to forget history.

This whole thing is rooted in what offends folks. We've become a weak-minded people, allowing things we see, hear, and read affect our entire being; seemingly unable to control our emotions. It's embarrassingly pathetic.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
OK..then YOU explain it.

I think a bunch of hard heads who SHOULD have long supported removing the liberty monument in exchange for statements of acceptance of the other ones, especially PT, dug their heals in and lost all. History repeats itself.
I think there has been a long ongoing debate about it and the impossible-ists won another battle and lost another war.
I think anything to do with BLM is parade jumping Al Sharpton crap whereby locals have done all the work and out of towners are trying to swoop in and take credit.

I think the inflexibility and short sightedness of Southern pride, once again, breaks in the storm it helps create rather than bend in the wind it could help subside.

That's my explanation.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Engraved on the monument: UNITED STATES TROOPS TOOK OVER THE STATE AND REINSTATED THE USURPERS. BUT THE NATIONAL ELECTION NOVEMBER 1876 RECOGNIZED WHITE SUPREMACY IN THE SOUTH AND GAVE US OUR STATE.
So how did Rutherford B. Hayes getting elected recognize white supremacy? And when was this carved into the monument? Was the term "white supremacy" even really used back then?

Midnightrider

Forrest and Davis were both great men in their way as was Malcolm and it wasn't because of bigotry or racism. That is not the sum total of any of them. :buddies:

Exactly, and none of them should have a monument to their racism. A monument for their other accomplishments maybe, but not one to their racism.
That's exactly what the liberty place monument was. It was rightly taken down, and as you indicated in your later posts, the others may have been spared had it not been for idiots blindly defending a monument to white supremacy

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Exactly, and none of them should have a monument to their racism.

And who determines if someone was a racist? George Washington was a great man with many great accomplishments, but he also owned slaves. Does that make him a racist? As did Thomas Jefferson and many other founders. Were they racist? By 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. Were they racist? One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade. Was he racist as well? From The Root:

"Perhaps the most insidious or desperate attempt to defend the right of black people to own slaves was the statement made on the eve of the Civil War by a group of free people of color in New Orleans, offering their services to the Confederacy, in part because they were fearful for their own enslavement: "The free colored population [native] of Louisiana … own slaves, and they are dearly attached to their native land … and they are ready to shed their blood for her defense. They have no sympathy for abolitionism; no love for the North, but they have plenty for Louisiana … They will fight for her in 1861 as they fought [to defend New Orleans from the British] in 1814-1815."

Racism is in the eye of the beholder. Those, and all, monuments, should stand as a constant reminder of where we have been. They create conversation and dialog, something they can't do when they are destroyed.

Restitution

If I may ...

And who determines if someone was a racist? George Washington was a great man with many great accomplishments, but he also owned slaves. Does that make him a racist? As did Thomas Jefferson and many other founders. Were they racist? By 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. Were they racist? One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade. Was he racist as well? From The Root:

"Perhaps the most insidious or desperate attempt to defend the right of black people to own slaves was the statement made on the eve of the Civil War by a group of free people of color in New Orleans, offering their services to the Confederacy, in part because they were fearful for their own enslavement: "The free colored population [native] of Louisiana … own slaves, and they are dearly attached to their native land … and they are ready to shed their blood for her defense. They have no sympathy for abolitionism; no love for the North, but they have plenty for Louisiana … They will fight for her in 1861 as they fought [to defend New Orleans from the British] in 1814-1815."

Racism is in the eye of the beholder. Those, and all, monuments, should stand as a constant reminder of where we have been. They create conversation and dialog, something they can't do when they are destroyed.

Shhhhhhhh.....

Remember that part a few pages ago where TJ said that history can be changed? I think this is a good example.

This narrative does not help with the argument so it needs to be "changed" (a.k.a forgotten about or just plain ignored) :yay:

Somebody call Dave Chapelle so he can reprise his role of the Blind Black White Supremecist