Esperanza Lanes

PeoplesElbow

what he is going to do is screw civilians and contractors over when access to the drill hall is made military (and retirees) only.

I know people who have held parties on base after work that he probably would not have accommodated.

That will also screw military over because there is not enough military to keep the place (bowling alley) open.

homedepot20

I remember going there every Thursday night back in the late 60's with my grand pop . He bowled in a duck pin league representing Public works from Pax River . Esperanza was so clean back then and a gem ! Can't believe the place went to to crap . Had a aunt whom worked there for over 20 years also .

Midnightrider

Like I said I didn't know how true it is, I can't find anything in the St Marys Co laws about titty bars either but it is a commonly held belief that they are not allowed in St Marys county. Is that wrong?
That would have to be a pretty recent rule so it shouldn't be too hard to find if it exists....

BernieP

Resident PIA
Like I said I didn't know how true it is, I can't find anything in the St Marys Co laws about titty bars either but it is a commonly held belief that they are not allowed in St Marys county. Is that wrong?

The people, or at least the people with the power, don't want any "titty" bars. I doubt you will find any regulation that does not allow them, just that they will step up enforcement on any such place because it's believed it's what the community wants. Probably the most corrupt organization in the county is the LCB. We all know stores and bars that routinely violate the rules but nothing seems to happen to them. Yet other places, like Chefs, get run out of business over some ticky tacky rules violation. They just have to catch one mistake, one misstep by an employee and they can suspend the license.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The people, or at least the people with the power, don't want any "titty" bars. I doubt you will find any regulation that does not allow them, just that they will step up enforcement on any such place because it's believed it's what the community wants. Probably the most corrupt organization in the county is the LCB. We all know stores and bars that routinely violate the rules but nothing seems to happen to them. Yet other places, like Chefs, get run out of business over some ticky tacky rules violation. They just have to catch one mistake, one misstep by an employee and they can suspend the license.

What is/was Chefs?

BernieP

Resident PIA
What is/was Chefs?

It was a pretty nice restaurant in the corner of San Souci next to the bridal shop. Same side as the liquor store. Someone wanted his license pulled so they kept testing the bar until they found something. Food was pretty good and interesting. Also had an area where you could watch them cook.

The point being, the county doesn't have to have a law on the books to block or disallow a competitor. All it takes is someone, or a group, with the influence to get some agency of the county to do the dirty work.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Check under "Bawdy House".

BernieP

Resident PIA
Any place that sells alcohol can be shut down easily if you have the right people on your side.
Demand the sheriff's department investigate "alleged" criminal activity at said establishment.
Demand the state's attorney prosecute said criminal activity.
Human nature is what it is, given enough visits and maybe the right temptation you can get the evidence to fine and get a temporary closure of the facility.
Then there is the LCB. File complaints, noise, selling to a minor, etc. Again, it might be days, or weeks, but something will pop and the LCB can punish the place as well.

Two things at work, if you look hard enough you will find evidence of a violation on just about everyone.
With enough political pressure, you can use the system to make you opponents suffer.

sockgirl77

Did anything ever become of this complaint? I cannot find anything about it on MD Judiciary Casesearch. I do know that their prices are beyond ridiculous and we have not been able to bowl one single game in a few years without having to reset the pins several times. They insist it is because our children do not bowl the ball hard enough to trigger the sensor. I insist that they fix their ####ing sensors. The place is just a complete dump. Oh and Dave is a complete jackhole. I have always been able to bowl with a 6 pound ball. I have the arms of a T-Rex and carpal tunnel. The past 2 times that we went he refused to let me bowl with the 6 pound ball. He stated that only children can use it and that is why they keep them behind the counter. I stand all of 5'1". :rolleyes: We refuse to go back there. We will take our business elsewhere.

Restitution

We refuse to go back there. We will take our business elsewhere.

The perks of being the only game in town (for those that do not have base access of course...) they can do as they please and you can either deal with it OR go way out of your way to enjoy.

Only competition will change things or force them to close down. (ex. Lex Park Theater)

3CATSAILOR

I thought there was a Federal law about a government product competing against the same product in the private sector when they offer the same thing. The government of course has endless funds, thus there is no comparison to a private company.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I thought there was a Federal law about a government product competing against the same product in the private sector when they offer the same thing. The government of course has endless funds, thus there is no comparison to a private company.

B fning S

The government does not have endless funds, we have what we call laws, people go to jail for spending funds not appropriated by congress.
People go to jail for miss using appropriated funds.
If you have been paying attention, capital funds for O&M have been even more scarce than RDT&E dollars. So MWR, which is charged with the operation of the base bowling alley, has very limited resources which they make the most of.
There has been a long standing policy on access to MWR facilities by both government and contract support who work on the base, as well as the faculty and staff of St. Mary's College of MD.
My gut says there was no law suit, just some whining because the idiot can't run a business.
If people choose to not use your business, you might want to find out why and ADDRESS the REASONS for the lost business, don't spout off some lame ass excuse that can be propagated by ill-informed butt holes.