Votes: 9 60.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Kali said:
I just wouldnt. The kids over there have too many issues that I'm not interested in dealing with. I would adopt from Russia, if I couldnt get a child in the US. I also am not interested in having a multiracial family, but thats just me.
I once saw a news program about the Russian children that were available for adoption that had "issues" as well. Fetal alcohol syndrome, drug addiction, etc. Just because they are predominantly Caucasian doesn't mean they don't have their own problems.

K

Kali

A friend of mine, adopted a little boy from Russia, and he is wonderful. They adopted him young though. Another friend has parents who decided to adopt from Russia, after their daughters grew up and moved out. They adopted 2 boys and a girl. All of them were over the age of 10, and they are having a hell of a time. So, i guess it depends alot too on the age, but either way, I dont want a multiracial family, and am not planning to adopt anyway.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I guess all the little girls in China that need homes too are unsuitable, even though their skin is not brown.

K

Kali

It is my life, and I am free to do, what I want to do with it. If it makes me a bad person, then so be it. I will not be talked or pushed into something that I dont want to do. If you are trying to use guilt, you may save it because, like i said. I dont plan to adopt anyway.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I hope that if and when you have your "own" children, you won't teach them to look at people based upon their skin color. It's a shame that a brown baby is not as worthy as a white baby. JMHO

K

Kali

I never said that, all i said was that i dont want a multiracial family. I didnt say that i was better or they were worse. You have the right to your opinion, as does everyone else, its a shame that when someone doesnt share your opinion, you feel the need to try and guilt them into your belief. This of course, is just my opinion.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Kali said:
I never said that, all i said was that i dont want a multiracial family. I didnt say that i was better or they were worse. You have the right to your opinion, as does everyone else, its a shame that when someone doesnt share your opinion, you feel the need to try and guilt them into your belief. This of course, is just my opinion.

I wasn't trying to guilt you, you did that all on your own.

K

Kali

I'm sorry, maybe you didnt try to "guilt" me, but you did try to get me to see your POV, noted. And thank you.

SamSpade

Ken King said:
So by it being "easier" does it make it more right to adopt a foriegn child while leaving an American child parentless? :confused:
I take it you're not currently checking out adoption for yourself - as my wife and I are.

There are a lot of reasons for overseas adoptions - and "easier" is just simplified code for what it is.

For one thing, cheaper. Domestic adoptions can be outrageously expensive, especially if you want a *baby*. (There are ways around this, but it can be complicated).

But the biggest hassle, in addition to the *time* and commitment, as it can take up to two years to complete - domestic adoptions are 'risky' inasmuch as the whole deal can fall apart - you can go through an agency, go through the home-study, arrange to adopt a baby - and one of the parents or the mother just simply changes their mind - and you went through it all for nothing. Same thing even AFTER YOU'VE ADOPTED - you can LOSE the child you've grown attached to, because the laws favor the biological parents.

With overseas adoptions - this doesn't happen. The child gets here, they're yours - no one's going to give you a call one day and take 'em back.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
I take it you're not currently checking out adoption for yourself - as my wife and I are.

There are a lot of reasons for overseas adoptions - and "easier" is just simplified code for what it is.

For one thing, cheaper. Domestic adoptions can be outrageously expensive, especially if you want a *baby*. (There are ways around this, but it can be complicated).

But the biggest hassle, in addition to the *time* and commitment, as it can take up to two years to complete - domestic adoptions are 'risky' inasmuch as the whole deal can fall apart - you can go through an agency, go through the home-study, arrange to adopt a baby - and one of the parents or the mother just simply changes their mind - and you went through it all for nothing. Same thing even AFTER YOU'VE ADOPTED - you can LOSE the child you've grown attached to, because the laws favor the biological parents.

With overseas adoptions - this doesn't happen. The child gets here, they're yours - no one's going to give you a call one day and take 'em back.
No, I'm not in the market for raising anymore kids. I'll simply enjoy the grandkids and send them home when I am tired of them. :biggrin:

I have no idea as to the hardships of adopting an American child but one would think that there should be some measure of protection for the intended adoptee. I guess like with most things though, it is overly regulated to the point that it isn't benefitting anyone.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
The other half and I plan on adopting in a few years. Guess I should start researching now. I've not considered domestic versus overseas adoption yet. Luckily for us we don't want a "baby." I've had enough diapers and sleepless nights. I'd like a child between 2 and 4.

Pete

Repete
pixiegirl said:
The other half and I plan on adopting in a few years. Guess I should start researching now. I've not considered domestic versus overseas adoption yet. Luckily for us we don't want a "baby." I've had enough diapers and sleepless nights. I'd like a child between 2 and 40.
mama

Christy

b*tch rocket
pixiegirl said:
The other half and I plan on adopting in a few years. Guess I should start researching now. I've not considered domestic versus overseas adoption yet. Luckily for us we don't want a "baby." I've had enough diapers and sleepless nights. I'd like a child between 2 and 4.
:yikes: Hells Bells woman, just adopt a dog or a horse or something. :lmao:

Christy

b*tch rocket
pixiegirl said:
:lol: I've wanted to adopt a kid for a long as I can remember.
It's official, you have gone and lost your ever lovin mind. :twitch:

Are you gonna adopt an Ethiopian or a poor Appalachian child? :wink:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Christy said:
It's official, you have gone and lost your ever lovin mind. :twitch:

Are you gonna adopt an Ethiopian or a poor Appalachian child? :wink:

I haven't even started considering the "where" part yet. :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
pixiegirl said:
:lol: I've wanted to adopt a kid for a long as I can remember.
Same here, was going to ask BG about adopting.. Thinking 17 year old french or Italian girl..

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
itsbob said:
Same here, was going to ask BG about adopting.. Thinking 17 year old french or Italian girl..
Absolutely not. Unless it will be a 17 year old French or Italian BOY.

A friend adopted a baby boy last year from Russia. No telling what kind of life he would have experienced if he had stayed in his homeland, but the life that he has here is wonderful. He has a remarkable set of parents, loving extended family, a beautiful home, and as much love and nuturing as he could ever want. He is a delightful little man. I understand that she and her husband had quite a bit of difficulty in trying to adopt here in the US, but she seems quite satisfied with her decision to adopt a child outside of the US. I am so happy for my friend.