Not really so much a torch anymore. More like a zippo. :whistle:

Besides... She just wanted me for my money and.... You know... :whistle:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
I guess like with most things though, it is overly regulated to the point that it isn't benefitting anyone.
Ding ding ding! You think it's tough to get a dog out of the shelter, try getting an American kid out of the adoption system. It's like they'd really rather have these kids sitting in some orphan home than have them living with a family that wants them. Sure, if you're Rosie O'Donnell or Tom Cruise and have unlimited money for lawyers and fees, but for normal people this just isn't feasible.

That's why it aggravates me when anti-abortion people insist on adoption as an alternative - they obviously have no idea what it's like.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
When lawyers make the rules, and determine how much or how many lawyers have to be involved you have a problem, they get to make their own work at the detriment of others. Most of the cost of adopting a child is in requisite legal fees. That parents don't get a dime, the foster home doesn't see any of it, it just lines lawyers pockets.

Why society feels you have to be a lawyer to be a Senator or a Congressman, or even a judge is beyond me, it just keeps making matters worse....

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
appyday said:
I just dont understand why it is so expensive...let some place like Social Services do it and get these kids placed make it so they can be adopted and not sitting and waiting to be bought like puppies..JMO

Many special needs children (here in the US) can be adopted and the parents still receive a monthly stipend from Social Services as well as medical assistance cards, etc. Many people just don't want to bother with a less than perfect child.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I also understand.. and I'm SURE someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that the military and gov't employees have access to an adoption reimbursement program. The government will cover or reimburse up to 10 or 20,000 for adoption? I believe it's a new program with in the last five years.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
appyday said:
FYI my friend went to Russia..and get this..Under 50 degrees in the orphanage..they do NOT use any diapers at all. no baby food..the kids have never had a "tub" bath. Never out on the earth to "run" This child had alot of adjusting to do just getting him for a bath was horrible at first..now he loves bathtime :lmao:

I have a friend who adopted from Russia. While the child is a beautiful little girl, she has deep emotional problems. She is making very good progress though.

Some of the blame certainly has to be placed on Russia (and the other countries). They are selling their children and not putting money back into their orphanages.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
That's why it aggravates me when anti-abortion people insist on adoption as an alternative - they obviously have no idea what it's like.
I'm not following your logic. Part of the outrageous cost of adoption is too many parents after too few adoptees - hence the search overseas. Fewer children being offered up for adoption forces this arrangement.

I don't imagine that *placing* a child up for adoption is anywhere NEAR the difficulty of actually doing the adopting.

Why would it be 'aggravating'? Adoption as an alternative would improve the situation.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:
I'm not following your logic. Part of the outrageous cost of adoption is too many parents after too few adoptees - hence the search overseas. Fewer children being offered up for adoption forces this arrangement.

I don't imagine that *placing* a child up for adoption is anywhere NEAR the difficulty of actually doing the adopting.

Why would it be 'aggravating'? Adoption as an alternative would improve the situation.
I disagree.. the cost is NOT a supply and demand issue.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
Part of the outrageous cost of adoption is too many parents after too few adoptees - hence the search overseas.
It's my understanding that, like Bob said, the cost is for the legal fees associated with the adoption, not mere supply and demand.

It would if it wasn't like pulling teeth to actually adopt an American baby. My friend tried three times to get an American child - and she wasn't even looking for an infant. Fell through all three times and PS, they never got any of their money back that they spent on these kids.

So finally she adopted an Indian toddler, piece of cake and all is well. :shrug:

Yet they'll let any vapid celebrity with mega-bucks go to the head of the baby line, even if they're drunks and druggies. Even if they're Scientology cult members. Even if they're not married or gay.

Go figure.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
itsbob said:
I disagree.. the cost is NOT a supply and demand issue.

:yeahthat: And there are PLENTY of kids stateside that are up for adoption, have no parent-strings attached. Most can be adopted for relatively little money.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
It's my understanding that, like Bob said, the cost is for the legal fees associated with the adoption, not mere supply and demand.
Hence my qualifier "PART of the outrageous cost...". Some of it is home-study. A lot is lawyer's fees. Depending on the host nation, some of it is the different fees THEY require. A good deal of overseas adoptions are travel costs - in addition to extensive time away from work, if you don't have the annual leave built up.

But there is absolutely NO question - the adoption pool WITHIN the United States is MUCH MUCH smaller than it used to be, and the number of couples wishing to adopt has skyrocketed. Many adoptions DO take a long time because of regulation, but also because they're conducting *searches* for candidates, domestically. There are many ways to adopt through the state government that are less expensive - and I have to believe that if there was a glut of adoptees, fees would have to drop - because you can't hold up an adoption until the kid is 18. It's just too damned expensive. The fees would have to drop, because there'd be too many options to avoid them.

vraiblonde said:
Yet they'll let any vapid celebrity with mega-bucks go to the head of the baby line, even if they're drunks and druggies. Even if they're Scientology cult members. Even if they're not married or gay.

Go figure.
I never quite figure this one out, especially when it's clear that these celebrities absolutely cannot devote their full attention to them - they get raised by high-priced nannies. I can't figure how the laws work this way - I have to guess that agencies prioritize based on dollars.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
There are plenty of children and sibling groups awaiting adoption here in the U.S. In fact, you can meet them here

The problem is there are more couples interested in adopting babies than children and/or sibling groups.