Expo

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Did you see the RMH or the KMSHA demo? All 3 Mountain horses in attendance are double registered.

The black horse was demo-ing for KMSHA the Chocolate horse was demo-ing for RMH. They were doing completely different gaits. One was doing an "acceptable" gait and one was doing the "preferred" gait.

My Buckskin was in both demos to show it's the same horse in both registries. He does the "preferred" gait, the saddle rack, and also cantering, after the announcer said "they can even canter."

Here are some videos with the President of KMSHA riding him in the outdoor ring at the Expo.

YouTube - Hondo-gaiting-2.AVI
and
YouTube - Hondo-gaiting.AVI

Hey sorry we did not head up that way..I was afraid I would spend too much money...did you sell anything..

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Hey sorry we did not head up that way..I was afraid I would spend too much money...did you sell anything..
:yay:
:biggrin:
RC was the one shopping this year, not me.

:gossip: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop in this thread...cause I know it will - because the horse was cantering, even though he was doing exactly what he was suppose to do.

Last edited:

Robin

Did you see the RMH or the KMSHA demo? All 3 Mountain horses in attendance are double registered.

The black horse was demo-ing for KMSHA the Chocolate horse was demo-ing for RMH. They were doing completely different gaits. One was doing an "acceptable" gait (the stepping pace) and one was doing the "preferred" gait (the saddle rack).

By request, my Buckskin was in both demos to show it's the same horse in both registries. He does the "preferred" gait, the saddle rack, and also cantering, after the announcer said "they can even canter."

Here are some videos with the President of KMSHA riding him in the outdoor ring at the Expo.

YouTube - Hondo-gaiting at the Expo Video 1
and
YouTube - Hondo-gaiting at the Expo Video 2

cool beans what gait was the president trying to get in the first video?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
cool beans what gait was the president trying to get in the first video?
He was going between the canter and a slow saddle rack he cantered at the end where i cut it off. That's when he decided he wanted me to do both gaits during the Demos. He liked the smooth transitions, and wants me to show him Western Pleasure.

NOT. RC said NO WAY are we getting into that mess :lol:

Hondo didn't care much for the "cowboy cavesson" he had put on him, I've never ridden him in a flash or cavesson before so this tight "thing" on his nose really ticked him off.

Last edited:

Robin

He was going between the canter and the saddle rack, that's when he decided he wanted me to do both gaits during the Demos. He liked the smooth transitions, and wants me to show him Western Pleasure.

western pleasure in the rocky shows? why not? You might get more wanting to line up for breeding at the breed shows with how quiet he is.

Robin

He was going between the canter and the saddle rack, that's when he decided he wanted me to do both gaits during the Demos. He liked the smooth transitions, and wants me to show him Western Pleasure.

Hondo didn't care much for the "cowboy cavesson" he had put on him, I've never ridden him in a flash or cavesson before so this tight "thing" on his nose really ticked him off.

but he accepted it right?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
western pleasure in the rocky shows? why not? You might get more wanting to line up for breeding at the breed shows with how quiet he is.
:lol: I don't care about people lining up to breed to him. It's 2 hours one way to Harris Paints for collections, and a whole field or section of the barn dedicated to outside mares. That's too much like WORK. He's already got a palomino foal in a big show barn and another foal coming in March 2010 from a buckskin show mare and that's quite enough for us.

Ahhh I didn't leave the thing on long enough for him to "accept" it. I have to practice with it at home, but RC doesn't like it. He doesn't want me to use it, i can get gait from him without it. So i'm on the fence about using it, and only did there because the Pres wanted me to use it for the Demos. It seems cruel to me. He can't munch on the trail with it on. :frown:

Last edited:

devinej

cool hondo looks fun. we canter the pasos too, don't we paso!

it sure was tight riding in that little arena. spooky too. gosh and then when we were done with out demo, they had some stallions lined up to go in for the parade of breeds and some lady was yelling at me "STALLION!! STALLION!!! GO THAT WAY STALLION!!"

i was like...uhhhh lady, if you are brining a stallion to the expo, they better darn well have some manners and be able to be near other horses.

btw, the STALLIONS were just standing there minding their own business. so bizzare some people. i think it was a gypsy horse and some other horse. not sure.

Robin

:lol: I don't care about people lining up to breed to him. It's 2 hours one way to Harris Paints for collections, and a whole field or section of the barn dedicated to outside mares. That's too much like WORK. He's already got a palomino foal in a big show barn and another foal coming in March 2010 from a buckskin show mare and that's quite enough for us.

Ahhh I didn't leave the thing on long enough for him to "accept" it. I have to practice with it at home, but RC doesn't like it. He doesn't want me to use it, i can get gait from him without it. So i'm on the fence about using it, and only did there because the Pres wanted me to use it for the Demos. It seems cruel to me. He can't munch on the trail with it on. :frown:

was it to get a constant or consistant gait on him? Does he train the Rockys?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!

it sure was tight riding in that little arena. spooky too. gosh and then when we were done with out demo, they had some stallions lined up to go in for the parade of breeds and some lady was yelling at me "STALLION!! STALLION!!! GO THAT WAY STALLION!!"

i was like...uhhhh lady, if you are brining a stallion to the expo, they better darn well have some manners and be able to be near other horses.

btw, the STALLIONS were just standing there minding their own business. so bizzare some people. i think it was a gypsy horse and some other horse. not sure.
The Gypsy Vanner was pretty good early in the week but as the week progressed, and the guy didn't let him get out of a stall, he got WOUND UP. By the last demo Sunday at 4 he was off the hook. He had shoes on, and was slipping and sliding and bucking and rearing all over the road outside the building! The guy handled him real well, but I was waiting for a wreck, and sweating bullets for the fellow. He went in right before us.

I'll say it was spooky. On Saturday somebody flashed a camera INSIDE the arena panel just as the music started during one stallion demo and poor Hondo Zigged so hard my saddle just slid sideways almost all the way over and me with it :lol: the whole audience went OHHHH.... poor RC heard that, and couldn't see what happened. He was a nervous wreck but Hondo and I pulled it off. Not sure how, but we did. Thank GOODNESS he's a nice boy, I take no credit for that one I just grabbed a handful of mane and held on tight till i could right myself.

:gossip: I think i stayed on because my new sports bra from the bra lady kept the 'ole boulders from shifting too far south and taking me with 'em! :lol:

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
was it to get a constant or consistant gait on him? Does he train the Rockys?
I assume you mean the cavesson? It's a "breed" thing and I hate it. Since I ride Western, he made me a "cowboy" cavesson, which looped through the end of the headstall where the bit attaches. They don't want them to be chomping at the bit and not paying attention to them when they're riding. It does nothing for gait.
The guy who was riding him is a founding member of the RMHA and then founded the KMSHA. He has something shy of 250 Mountain horses on their farm, so Yes, he trains, but now a days he pays a full time trainer to do it for him. He asked me if he could ride Hondo, and i said yes as long as I could video him.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I'll say it was spooky. On Saturday somebody flashed a camera INSIDE the arena panel just as the music started during one stallion demo and poor Hondo Zigged so hard my saddle just slid sideways almost all the way over and me with it :lol: the whole audience went OHHHH.... poor RC heard that,

I heard the OH..and saw Hondo. I didn't see what happened....

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

Like what kind of cavison? I like them with the WP horses too keeps them "with you" tell RC it could be worse...it could have been a wire clothes hanger..I have seen them used..

We run da tail off them :killingme funny when they have never been allowed to canter and we let them..they think they are doing something wrong...lol...and they crow hop and look like deer...

Robin

I assume you mean the cavesson? It's a "breed" thing and I hate it. Since I ride Western, he made me a "cowboy" cavesson, which looped through the end of the headstall where the bit attaches. They don't want them to be chomping at the bit and not paying attention to them when they're riding. It does nothing for gait.
The guy who was riding him is a founding member of the RMHA and then founded the KMSHA. He has something shy of 250 Mountain horses on their farm, so Yes, he trains, but now a days he pays a full time trainer to do it for him. He asked me if he could ride Hondo, and i said yes as long as I could video him.

Yeah the caveson/noseband. It has a purpose esp if a horse plays with a bit.
picture? leather, nylon or coated wire?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Yeah the caveson/noseband. It has a purpose esp if a horse plays with a bit.
picture? leather, nylon or coated wire?
He took the leather throat latch from one of my other bridles and ran it up and around Hondo's muzzle running it through the loops where the bit attaches to the headstall and buckled it on the left side. He punched 3 small holes as adjustments, snugged it up tight and RC trimmed the end rounded. I buy all my headstalls from Riceville, so they're all nice quality smooth black leather. It looked nice, but Hondo hated it. You can see it in the videos.

The canter has to be taught to most gaited horses, and some can never quite master it they end up doing the "rack-a-lope" that Paso talks about or if they do a stepping pace, it's sort of jiggity jig that beats you to death. :lol: The rack-a-lope is funny to watch, all 4 feet hop together up in the air in tandem.

That's why Dave was quite pleased to find his slow lope so perfect, it's very hard to find a gaited horse who has a nice slow canter for WP, thats why not too many compete in those classes. But RC says NO showing. :frown:

PASO do peeps REALLY use a wire coat hanger?? OMG! :faint:

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I heard the OH..and saw Hondo. I didn't see what happened....
So we must have done good if we managed to pull it off and you didn't see nuffin :lol:

I wanted to take a bow afterwards. I was completely on the his side, don't know how i even stayed on, but i felt like Spider Woman. I guess the best part was when the guys outside the ring told me..."Good Ride" after i was finished and was leaving the arena :shocking:

Some girl came running to our booth afterwards telling me she saw it...AND has it on video, which she showed me, then she said she was gonna post it to YouTube YIKES :cds:

Doesn't that ring look WAY bigger when you're inside?? Whew!

Last edited:

Duckz

The black horse was demo-ing for KMSHA the Chocolate horse was demo-ing for RMH. They were doing completely different gaits. One was doing an "acceptable" gait (the stepping pace) and one was doing the "preferred" gait (the saddle rack).

By request, my Buckskin was in both demos to show it's the same horse in both registries. He does the "preferred" gait, the saddle rack, and also cantering, after the announcer said "they can even canter."

YouTube - Hondo-gaiting at the Expo Video 1
and
YouTube - Hondo-gaiting at the Expo Video 2

Not sure which demo I saw, I was just wandering past early Friday afternoon. I'm not dropping shoes on nobody :otter: Just showing my ignorance about gaited horses :howdy: Glad to hear your stallion was a good boy at the expo.