Favorite pistolas...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Mattel had nothing to do with the production of any M16's nor any parts for M16's. It's all Urban legend. All of it.
Mattel did make a toy M16 called " The Marauder "
View attachment 116008

It's amazing how many people claim (like me) that they actually had one in their hands.. fired it, qualified on it..

Yet everyone claims they're wrong..

SLIGHT possibility I could be remembering wrong, but when at Ft Knox we were issued our M16s from Holder Complex, and I think everyone that every manufactured M16's were represented in that complex. One company I don't think I ever saw was Colt.. I'm positive to this day, that the one I drew out was a Mattel

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
What next? Sewing machine companies making 1911's???

I heard a rumor a few weeks ago in Anderson, IN. when I was talking to some retired GM workers that GM was going to put the M3 grease gun back in production along with GM Hydromatic division is also going to fire up the assembly line of M16A1's again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I heard a rumor a few weeks ago in Anderson, IN. when I was talking to some retired GM workers that GM was going to put the M3 grease gun back in production along with GM Hydromatic division is also going to fire up the assembly line of M16A1's again.

Why would GM make Grease Guns??

Who makes the cans for Coke and Pepsi?? ALCOA??

Now I can't remember who made them (GM?), but I did carry a Grease Gun as a personal Weapon 1986 - 90..

They were still being supported, and I would assume still being built by SOMEBody, as no way would I believe a Grease Gun could last 40 years in the rough and tumble world of the infantry..

Last edited:

Inkd

Lol.. in some circles yes and some circles no.
A Gold Cup is more like a A3 than a A1.. there is quite a few upgrades like that came about with the upgrades to the A1.
The pinnacle of Colts efforts were the Gold Cup National Match MKIV 70 series of handguns.
The GC's differed from a issue 1911a1 with a different trigger and hammer along with a trigger stop screw, target sights, a opened and lowered ejection port, slide serrations, and a match barrel and improved finger barrel bushing.
Full disclosure, I have been a gi issue 1911 pistol collector for better than 40 years myself. Way back to when they were 75 to 200 bucks. Not like today's prices, wooowe..

Now for a trivia question, what cartridge is the pistol below in ?
No Googling...
View attachment 115999

Is that the 38spl?

I've heard of them but never seen one in real life.

Inkd

Yes I own a few, you gotta remember that when I started collecting them, it was not a popular firearm to collect. And US&S built around 55 thou pistols. It's not like trying to find a Singer.

Man, you would probably have an easier time finding the Loch Ness monster out on a date with Sasquatch than finding a Singer!!! :lmao: I wonder how many are still in existence and if there is anyone out there that doesn't realize what they have?

black dog

Free America
It's amazing how many people claim (like me) that they actually had one in their hands.. fired it, qualified on it..

Yet everyone claims they're wrong..

SLIGHT possibility I could be remembering wrong, but when at Ft Knox we were issued our M16s from Holder Complex, and I think everyone that every manufactured M16's were represented in that complex. One company I don't think I ever saw was Colt.. I'm positive to this day, that the one I drew out was a Mattel

I'll say this Bob, in 35 years of buying and selling transferable firearms, I honestly have never seen a M16 of any variant with a lower receiver roll marked or engraved with Holder Complex on it. I'm not saying you are wrong Sir. But I have never seen one, and I have been in that game for a long time.
And I'm not going to argue with you Bob, but Mattel never manufactured any M16 nor any parts for M16's or any variant of it.
If they truly did the numbers that were manufactured just during the Viet Nam era they would be in sufficient numbers still around today and constantly on the market for sale.

Just like the other companies that manufactured M16's during that time period, and are regularly for sale today.
Like Colt, H & R, GM Hydromatic ..........
But Alis, you can't sell a myth or a urban legend.
Even as low production as 1911A1's were with Singer, they still come on the market every so often.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'll say this Bob, in 35 years of buying and selling transferable firearms, I honestly have never seen a M16 of any variant with a lower receiver roll marked or engraved with Holder Complex on it. I'm not saying you are wrong Sir. But I have never seen one, and I have been in that game for a long time.
And I'm not going to argue with you Bob, but Mattel never manufactured any M16 nor any parts for M16's or any variant of it.
If they truly did the numbers that were manufactured just during the Viet Nam era they would be in sufficient numbers still around today and constantly on the market for sale.

Just like the other companies that manufactured M16's during that time period, and are regularly for sale today.
Like Colt, H & R, GM Hydromatic ..........
But Alis, you can't sell a myth or a urban legend.
Even as low production as 1911A1's were with Singer, they still come on the market every so often.

Holder Complex wasn't a manufacturer.. it was the "arms room" for all of Ft Knox's Training Bn.. Massive complex that held thousands of M16's, 45's, M60's and M2... Not for certain, but if it wasn't it was one of the largest arms rooms in the US Army at the time (I'm not sure if Ft Benning had a similar complex, though I'd bet they did).

IF Mattel, or any other offhand manufacturer built M16's this would be the place you would more than likely find them.. I mean, training Battalions always got the runt of the litter.. The only upgrade the training BN's ever got was if the Army went to an A2 version, then MAYBE they'd get the latest M16A1s that were to be delivered to line units..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sounds like a love hate thing,. It is a good looking pistol, even more so when it's in polished stainless.

The real problem is I want to love my 1911 more but the simple fact is that I will have more problems with it be it a limp wrist or a stove pipe or mag that won't just fall free. I know is just needs little TLC from a pro but unless and until that happens, the Taurus loves me best. Plus the 1911's a pain in the ass to field strip. And I think 9mm simply runs better.

black dog

Free America
Why would GM make Grease Guns??

Who makes the cans for Coke and Pepsi?? ALCOA??

Now I can't remember who made them (GM?), but I did carry a Grease Gun as a personal Weapon 1986 - 90..

They were still being supported, and I would assume still being built by SOMEBody, as no way would I believe a Grease Gun could last 40 years in the rough and tumble world of the infantry..

GM in Anderson, IN manufactured the M3 for Uncle Sam.
GM stopped supporting it decades ago. Old new stock along with a few class 3 gunsmiths still support that firearm.
Alcoa manufacturers aluminum, can companies manufacturer aluminum cans for Pepsi and Coke.
And I gotta ask Sir, where did you carry a M3 during 86-90 please.

black dog

Free America
I've seen them (or should say heard them) in IPSC matches but I always assumed they were custom made.

I think you are thinking of 38 super Bob, the magazine in the pistol in question only holds 5 rounds. It's used for Bullseye shooting. More so 2700 Bullseye Matches.

black dog

Free America
Best I can find is that Mattel may have made some stocks, in low numbers and very early on.

Show me one in a museum that has the legendary Mattel stamp on the pistol grip.,, All parts unless to small have the National Part number, mold numbers, drawing numbers, manufacturer stamps, electro pencil and so on. Show me one.. .
It's just a name that GI's from that time period called there rifles. ( Mattie Mattel's )
And nothing more.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Show me one in a museum that has the legendary Mattel stamp on the pistol grip.,, All parts unless to small have the National Part number, mold numbers, drawing numbers, manufacturer stamps, electro pencil and so on. Show me one.. .
It's just a name that GI's from that time period called there rifles. ( Mattie Mattel's )
And nothing more.

I'm not arguing for it. Best I could find was what I mentioned and I added 'may'. I'm just as happy to defer to you as some Web site as I've no dog or opinion in this.