Favre v. Rodgers...

donbarzini

I understand that argument. I really do. They did the practical thing; move on. So, how critical is practicality in the alternate universe of pro football?

Again, I ONLY come at this from the standpoint of just how much fun it is to watch Brett Favre play football. The Green Bay Packers survived some of the deepest depths of pro sport failure imaginable, for ages, after Lombardi. So, things are a mess for a few years. :shrug: In exchange for that, a legend plays for them another year or two or even three? I call that good.

With the absolutely tragic way so many franchises are operated, not naming any names, what the hell is the loss of a few years?

:buddies:

You're coming from the romantic era of football yesteryear, when players like Hadl, Blanda, Brodie, Unitas, et al were allowed to "hang on" longer than they "should have" been. But in this era of 3yr(at the maximum) commitment to coaches and front office personnel(except for Danny/Vinnie), no coach or executive is gonna hang his ass out in the wind for anyone. Don't care if it's Montana or hell, even if it was Sammy friggen Baugh. "$hit or get off the pot mister. We're ready to move on.".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're coming from the romantic era of football yesteryear, when players like Hadl, Blanda, Brodie, Unitas, et al were allowed to "hang on" longer than they "should have" been. But in this era of 3yr(at the maximum) commitment to coaches and front office personnel(except for Danny/Vinnie), no coach or executive is gonna hang his ass out in the wind for anyone. Don't care if it's Montana or hell, even if it was Sammy friggen Baugh. "$hit or get off the pot mister. We're ready to move on.".

I understand that argument as well. However, the legendary examples you cite were truly past sell date. Brett is, as of right now, a leading candidate for MVP.

We are watching (still!) one of the absolute best, ever!!!

Otter

Nothing to see here
I understand that argument as well. However, the legendary examples you cite were truly past sell date. Brett is, as of right now, a leading candidate for MVP.

We are watching (still!) one of the absolute best, ever!!!

LOL..you are looking at this in hindsight, so very easy to say all that now..If he played for the Packers last year and this, he would not have stood up to the beating Rodgers has taken...and he was pretty ineffective last year with the jets after half the season.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
LOL..you are looking at this in hindsight, so very easy to say all that now..If he played for the Packers last year and this, he would not have stood up to the beating Rodgers has taken...and he was pretty ineffective last year with the jets after half the season.

Call it hindsight if you will yet you, of all people, know I've been singing the same song since this started.

He MAY not have stood up. He played half a good year last year. He IS playing at an all pro level now.

donbarzini

Call it hindsight if you will yet you, of all people, know I've been singing the same song since this started.

He MAY not have stood up. He played half a good year last year. He IS playing at an all pro level now.

With that offensive line, YOU OR I could have an all-pro year. I agree with the furry water living creature. Put the old man behind that Packer line and he's ALREADY on I.R.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
With that offensive line, YOU OR I could have an all-pro year. I agree with the furry water living creature. Put the old man behind that Packer line and he's ALREADY on I.R.

You people should be ashamed. Ashamed!

Now, let's all join hands and sing the Brett song, shall we?

B, r, e... :larry:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Look. Brett is an icon. Imagine had Sonny had a few good years left in him and wasn't quite sure and kinda jerked management around some. Had they forced the issue and run him off, DC woulda been burned to the ground.

I said some time back that Green Bay simply had to say the obvious; Brett Favre has a locker here FOREVER.

That puts the ball entirely in his hands. Along with all the pressure. He comes back, he's not motivated, looks bad, he decides. Good lord, they were in the NFC championship game his last year in GB.

The league devours players. Burns 'em up. Destroys them. Nature of the beast. What's wrong with a player having the upper hand once in awhile? Good lord. Look at him. His durability, his play, his record.
He was jerkin them around for years. He had them draft a QB in the 1st round. You don't just waste 1st round picks. If Rodgers sucked, they'd have probably let Favre jerk them around as long as possible...but when you end up with a GOOD 1st round QB backup then you need to think about the long-term future of the franchise and not about some egomaniac fuddy duddy crybaby. The Packers made the right decision for the franchise, icon or not.

BuddyLee

Football addict
To wit, I wasn't looking at it in hindsight. I called this from day one and took the beating.

I think Brett would take a beating but not as much of a beating Rodgers is taking. I've watched every Green Bay game this year. Rodgers is a play-maker but he holds onto the ball way too long when sometimes he could just tuck and run for the first. There were several occasions yesterday where he could have done so.

Brett just wins. I think he's had one or two losing seasons in his entire career.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
To wit, I wasn't looking at it in hindsight. I called this from day one and took the beating.

I think Brett would take a beating but not as much of a beating Rodgers is taking. I've watched every Green Bay game this year. Rodgers is a play-maker but he holds onto the ball way too long when sometimes he could just tuck and run for the first. There were several occasions yesterday where he could have done so.

Brett just wins. I think he's had one or two losing seasons in his entire career.

See? I keep telling these damn people you ain't stupid! :lol:

:buddies:

DuffMan

I agree with that! Rogers has been getting killed on the field this year, no way Favre could take that kind of pounding. Now he is the "Iron Man" of football and can take a hit like no other QB, but that old body of his this year if he played for GB, I don't think he would be able to take it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree with that! Rogers has been getting killed on the field this year, no way Favre could take that kind of pounding. Now he is the "Iron Man" of football and can take a hit like no other QB, but that old body of his this year if he played for GB, I don't think he would be able to take it.

You don't think Mr. Rodgers holds the ball too long?

BuddyLee

Football addict
We'll never know.

That's the same as saying, "If Jason Campbell had the best line in football he'd be a pro-bowl player".

DuffMan

Agree! You don't know how many times yesterday I was screaming at the TV "Run Rogers Run"!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Agree! You don't know how many times yesterday I was screaming at the TV "Run Rogers Run"!
Me too brotha'. There were plenty of 3rd and shorts where he could have run for 5 or 10.

He's still a young stud though. The few things he doesn't get now he'll get very soon.

DuffMan

We'll never know.

That's the same as saying, "If Jason Campbell had the best line in football he'd be a pro-bowl player".

I think Campbell and Rogers both wake up on Monday wishing they played Golf or any other sport! I know Rogers has a sprained Toe and reaggravated the injury he had last week.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I think Campbell and Rogers both wake up on Monday wishing they played Golf or any other sport! I know Rogers has a sprained Toe and reaggravated the injury he had last week.
You gotta' be tough to play in Lambeau. Comes with the territory.

I've always loved watching Green Bay football.

DuffMan

Me too brotha'. There were plenty of 3rd and shorts where he could have run for 5 or 10.

He's still a young stud though. The few things he doesn't get now he'll get very soon.

It will come to him, He had a real good run towards the end of the game, If he would of done that in the first half he could have avoided some of those sacks.

I'm not a big fan of Ted Tompson but Rogers in the QB of the future and he needed to prove what he could do and I think he has done that so far. He will learn more and more as he plays. GB has some tough games the rest of the way, minus TB, at least I hope!