FB Meta

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does anyone besides me think this is a terrible idea?

I can think of about a million negatives and things that would go wrong.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think Facehook is a terrible idea, so: yes. This is also very likely a terrible idea.

I use FB for its intended purpose: to keep up with friends and family without having to make 450 phone calls and send/receive 900 texts with pics of the fam/dog/kids/travel/etc. As we both know, many people do not use it for that purpose.

I would use Meta to have virtual lunch with a far away friend, or "visit" my folks - super cool! But, as we both know, many people would not use it for that purpose. You think online stalking is bad, wait until these weirdos can holograph themselves into your space.

And also MarkZ looks like a creepy android, right at home with his weird social isolation projects.

Loper

Animal Poor!
And also MarkZ looks like a creepy android, right at home with his weird social isolation projects.

1. I want to tie his hands to his sides and then see if he can talk.
  2. His eyes remind me of the soulless spheres of Michael Myers (Halloween)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They are going after your children!

No doubt, because it's young people who embrace new technology. Think about the last year - they've been weaned away from human contact. Now just give them a (whatever Zuck calls it) and they'll get sucked into a virtual reality for good.

HemiHauler

I use FB for its intended purpose: to keep up with friends and family without having to make 450 phone calls and send/receive 900 texts with pics of the fam/dog/kids/travel/etc. As we both know, many people do not use it for that purpose.

I would use Meta to have virtual lunch with a far away friend, or "visit" my folks - super cool! But, as we both know, many people would not use it for that purpose. You think online stalking is bad, wait until these weirdos can holograph themselves into your space.

I understand the intended purpose. I mange to do all of that without the assistance of a company whose sole purpose for existence is to invade my privacy and sell me to their customers.

gemma_rae

I understand the intended purpose. I mange to do all of that without the assistance of a company whose sole purpose for existence is to invade my privacy and sell me to their customers.
You mange? Has your fur fallen out?

How much are they asking for you, about tree fiddy?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I mange to do all of that without the assistance of a company whose sole purpose for existence is to invade my privacy and sell me to their customers.

No you don't, because you can't. Did you speak to all your cousins several times a week? Send your travel pics to everyone you know who would be interested? How about wish happy birthday to the kid you used to smoke dope with in high school? See pics of your step-niece's wedding? Admire a former co-worker's new grandchild? Find out that someone you knew decades ago died?

I get worn out with the oh so above it all :drama: who look down on social media. It doesn't make you look cool, it just makes you look like you've never had any friends and don't give a crap about your extended family.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I get worn out with the oh so above it all :drama: who look down on social media. It doesn't make you look cool, it just makes you look like you've never had any friends and don't give a crap about your extended family.
:howdy:

Last edited:

Bare-ya-cuda

No you don't, because you can't. Did you speak to all your cousins several times a week? Send your travel pics to everyone you know who would be interested? How about wish happy birthday to the kid you used to smoke dope with in high school? See pics of your step-niece's wedding? Admire a former co-worker's new grandchild? Find out that someone you knew decades ago died?

Hemi is married to his cousin

HemiHauler

Amazingly I somehow manage to keep in touch with everyone I want to as much as I need to. :sshrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Amazingly I somehow manage to keep in touch with everyone I want to as much as I need to. :sshrug:

Then why don't you just say you have no friends or family that you care to engage with instead of looking down your nose at people who do?

There was this kid I went to school with and we'd all be standing around talking about some TV show, and he'd be like, "Oh, I'm not one of those inside the idiot box people :drama: " He thought that made him seem cool but it really just made him seem like a douche.

Food for thought.

HemiHauler

Then why don't you just say you have no friends or family that you care to engage with instead of looking down your nose at people who do?

There was this kid I went to school with and we'd all be standing around talking about some TV show, and he'd be like, "Oh, I'm not one of those inside the idiot box people :drama: " He thought that made him seem cool but it really just made him seem like a douche.

Food for thought.

Because I have a giant family and plenty of friends, many in time zones far and wide and simply put: we keep in touch. We are close-knit but have zero need to be in touch "several times a week". Many of my family members are in fact on the FB and yet we manage. Never once have they said: It would be much better to receive your updates on life via FB vs. your e-mail. BTW, you know you can send a single e-mail to several people, yes? The model is exactly the same as FB. Write once, many can read/respond. You can even do a reply-all so everyone else can see it.

But I do get the draw. It's just that I'm not willing to give up my privacy to get it. Just as I'm drawn to the DNA testing kits, and nor am I willing to give up my privacy. We all have our limits. But don't try and tell me that FB is the only way you can keep up with these people. If they have a FB account, they have an e-mail. That's all you need.

I get equally worn out with those who willingly and knowing sign up for a privacy-invasive product. It's free to use, which means you are the product being sold. And then! Have the audacity to complain incessantly when OMG OMG OMG OMG FB is CENSORING!!!!! Oh the Hugh Manatee!!!!!!

It's free. You are a sucker for signing up KNOWING what their business model is. Suck it up and deal, or leave the platform.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Because I have a giant family and plenty of friends, many in time zones far and wide and simply put: we keep in touch. We are close-knit but have zero need to be in touch "several times a week". Many of my family members are in fact on the FB and yet we manage. Never once have they said: It would be much better to receive your updates on life via FB vs. your e-mail. BTW, you know you can send a single e-mail to several people, yes? The model is exactly the same as FB. Write once, many can read/respond. You can even do a reply-all so everyone else can see it.

But I do get the draw. It's just that I'm not willing to give up my privacy to get it. Just as I'm drawn to the DNA testing kits, and nor am I willing to give up my privacy. We all have our limits. But don't try and tell me that FB is the only way you can keep up with these people. If they have a FB account, they have an e-mail. That's all you need.

I get equally worn out with those who willingly and knowing sign up for a privacy-invasive product. It's free to use, which means you are the product being sold. And then! Have the audacity to complain incessantly when OMG OMG OMG OMG FB is CENSORING!!!!! Oh the Hugh Manatee!!!!!!

It's free. You are a sucker for signing up KNOWING what their business model is. Suck it up and deal, or leave the platform.

Well, git on wit yo bad self! :high5: