FBI Raiding Mar-a-Lago/Trump

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
there is no doubt in my mind an ex-president would still have an active clearance
Presidents never have/had a security clearance (same for VPs, Congress members, and Justices), the President is the authority for what is classified and can declassify anything they think is appropriate. Former Presidents are typically provided briefings/information on classified matters all the time as a courtesy (except under this administration).

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

Cuomo isn't defending him, he's pissed that his own people are killing their chances to hang Trump for 1/6.
Or he's concerned HE could be next.

And he's right - as near as I can tell, just about EVERYONE who leaves the White House is likely to be holding classified information of minimal value - happened before with Hillary and I'm betting they can pull this stunt with ANYONE if they desire.

It's clearly a fishing expedition, and the FBI should never have the right to just rifle through the house to find what they want, especially if the residents are cooperating. If they can do this when Biden is in office, they can do it when a Republican is there.

Everyone should be on alert when someone else's freedoms can be squashed, especially for political reasons, because when the political winds shift, it could easily be YOUR ass on the chopping block.

Clem72

Presidents never have/had a security clearance (same for VPs, Congress members, and Justices), the President is the authority for what is classified and can declassify anything they think is appropriate. Former Presidents are typically provided briefings/information on classified matters all the time as a courtesy (except under this administration).
Might be the case, I am very knowleagable on the normal process but not the political one.

That said, some quick searching pulled up the following about post-term access:
Whether or not former officials keep their eligibility and access to classified information is another issue more grounded in tradition than policy. It is common for outgoing presidents and officials to be ‘read in’ on issues and topics where their prior position and expertise are useful. This is at the discretion of the current sitting president. That means that any access to classified information a former president or government official obtains has to be granted – they can’t just walk into the CIA and say ‘brief me.’

SamSpade

I've never had a security clearance, but my job means I am likely to view personal data which I am sworn to never disclose - ever. Even after I leave my job.

Are security clearances like that? I assume they are.

PJay

I'm just gonna leave this here

View attachment 165496

Screenshot_20220809-105201~2.png

stgislander

PREMO Member
Even if guilty of having documents that the Archives wants, they'd never find a federal prosecutor to prosecute right... right?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
If only Trump had a reputation for people to suspiciously commit suicide.
He's certainly got the money to make it happen.

Just lacks the contacts in the underworld. Democrats still have that one locked up with the mob.

WingsOfGold

Who is Sandy Burger and Bubbas whore for a thousand Alex.
The shiit on the left are proving themselves to be the NAZIS I knew they were. Question is when the cupro nickle starts to fly will the military intercede or have their own war within?
50 were shot in Chicago last weekend only 5 died. The crap obviously knows little about center mass or vitals. Me, IDGAF we're over populated anyway.

Bushy23

What if DeSantis deliberately didn't warn them about the raid? Maybe Mitch McConnell and Chris Wray cooked this up to keep Donny out of the election? But wasn't Chris Wray appointed by Trump? He surely had to have known about it.

Republican feeble minded outrage:

"We don't have any idea what was found, we don't know what the probable cause was to get the warrant, we don't know if a crime was committed, we really don't know anything, but we know the FBI is wrong."

• Haha

WingsOfGold

That is only partially a true statement.

You are "held to it forever" in the sense that one is never able to disclose anything. I had a TS for a very short period of time, and I understand the responsibilities precisely. You don't "have it forever". Clearances go inactive, expire, etc. If that were true, I could apply for a job that requires a TS. But I can't, because I don't. That doesn't change because president.
Not exactly true, Trump pulled clearances on former high ranking figures who still had access and were regulars on MSDNC and they were miffed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just a reality check:

All these Dembots keening about unprecedented :faint: and unwarranted :drama: - they will be onboard with the talking points within 24 hours. These people only pretend to have integrity; they don't really and will be banging with the gang momentarily.

Hijinx

Democrats are cheering this because TrUmP!!! but if they are doing this to a former president what do you think those 87,000 new IRS agents are going to do you? I have a tolerance for almost everybody and their opinions, but if you, in any way, shape or form condone this raid and support the Green New Deal/Build Back Better/Inflation Reduction (creation) Act, then you Have sheit for brains and should have your right to vote permanently revoked.

I hold this entire administration, the DNC and their media lackeys responsible for the downward spiral we are witnessing.
FIFY