FDR Boulevard Extension Set To Open

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just wait until the very first accident at 7am on 235 from M-F. Lets see how "local use only" holds up :yay:

You can interpret that as DEAD END. FDR stops and you aren't cutting through to another development. If they are dumb enough to ignore the signs, they will soon enough learn the only exit is the way they came in.
You also assume people are fully aware of the opening.
What yu will probably see is more people making a left at Old Rolling Rd (NB 235) in the PM. Right now they cut through First Colony. to get to Rt 4.

Besodes. if there is an accident, that's why they put FDR in, to give an alternate route when there is a problem.

PeoplesElbow

I have seen roads labeled "Local Use Only" that actually were through roads, they were obviously just designed for low traffic flow as one side always had cars parked on it.

They really need to put up "No Outlet" or 'Dead End" signs or people are going to go down it and try to get through. Hell they tried to drive down the sidewalk from Chancellors Run to Walmart before.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have seen roads labeled "Local Use Only" that actually were through roads, they were obviously just designed for low traffic flow as one side always had cars parked on it.

They really need to put up "No Outlet" or 'Dead End" signs or people are going to go down it and try to get through. Hell they tried to drive down the sidewalk from Chancellors Run to Walmart before.

Never underestimate the stupidity. It amazes me how people can be so stupid and have a license.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Never underestimate the stupidity. It amazes me how people can be so stupid and have a license.

I was thinking that today when 2 folks in the go straight lane at Chancellor's made a right turn and almost side swiped a car in the right turn lane.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was thinking that today when 2 folks in the go straight lane at Chancellor's made a right turn and almost side swiped a car in the right turn lane.

They probably felt they had a legitmate reason to do so, do you have a problem with that? :lol

I was thinking about this thread this moring as I was driving and can see a few accidents wating to happen.

#1 - people coming from RT 4 on FDR at Colony Dr / Blvd. Will they remember that the right lane is to go straight or will they turn left as they are use to doing?

I don't recall if FDR has a stop sign on the NB side at First Colony, hopefully it does or those makeing a left and those who don't stop for the right hand turn at the stop sign will be in for a rude surprise.

Given the oblivious nature of a good many drivers I see some nice crashes in our future. See, the traffic circle, round-a-bout isn't such a bad idea when you consider people who don't yield the right of way

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Given the oblivious nature of a good many drivers I see some nice crashes in our future. See, the traffic circle, round-a-bout isn't such a bad idea when you consider people who don't yield the right of way

I don't understand why so many people have such heartburn IRT traffic circles. It really isn't that difficult!

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't understand why so many people have such heartburn IRT traffic circles. It really isn't that difficult!
They actuallyt work better than a 4 way stop sign - or for that matter a stop sign because some people don't stop.
The problme is it might require two hands on the wheel, while one hand is holding the cigarette and the other the phone, it's tough to negotiate that turn.

glhs837

Power with Control

I love me a good rotary intersection. Most folks from New England do. Up there they operate like a high speed traffic pump. Down here, not so much. Like the divided highway passthroughs, people simply refuse to learn how they work and so screw them up.

Grumpy

Agreed, not difficult for most, but there's always someone that enters the circle thinking they have the right-of-way

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They actuallyt work better than a 4 way stop sign - or for that matter a stop sign because some people don't stop.
The problme is it might require two hands on the wheel, while one hand is holding the cigarette and the other the phone, it's tough to negotiate that turn.

I love me a good rotary intersection. Most folks from New England do. Up there they operate like a high speed traffic pump. Down here, not so much. Like the divided highway passthroughs, people simply refuse to learn how they work and so screw them up.

Agreed, not difficult for most, but there's always someone that enters the circle thinking they have the right-of-way

Agree with all of the above. I'd much rather have a traffic circle that a 4 way stop. Common sense folks! And Yield is your friend.

glhs837

Power with Control
Agree with all of the above. I'd much rather have a traffic circle that a 4 way stop. Common sense folks! And Yield is your friend.

I'm forever dancing with someone at the one heading towards Gate 3. Either they jump in ahead of me, or worse they yield the right of way while they are in the circle. Certainly can't trust them then, so they get annoyed when you dont take advantage of their kindness...... "No, YOU go!!!!!"

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
[video=youtube;uFz_2TNNCeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFz_2TNNCeA[/video]

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm forever dancing with someone at the one heading towards Gate 3. Either they jump in ahead of me, or worse they yield the right of way while they are in the circle. Certainly can't trust them then, so they get annoyed when you dont take advantage of their kindness...... "No, YOU go!!!!!"

Yield while IN the roundabout? What a maroon! :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
[video=youtube;uFz_2TNNCeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFz_2TNNCeA[/video]

Makes me laugh every time. :lol:

Sadly, it does remind me of the truck driver that blew through the circle in Clements and crashed into the house.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I think if you asked people what YIELD meant you might be surprised on how some thought it was supposed to operate.

Good place to watch that YIELD in practice is at a few of the right turns onto 235, particular RT CR Rd and coming out of First Colony.
What it seems to mean for some is they come around the turn a full speed and then try to merge over into the right lane, beliving it's the responsibility of the vehicle on 235 to give way.
Which works, particularly by Wa Wa and Sheetz. SB 235 vehicles come to a stop on 235 to allow the party with the YIELD sign the right of way.

I've actually seen it posted at one or more circles that you should yield to the traffic IN the circle, but as noted above it doesn't stop some from trying to get in front of that vehicle in the circle.
I think that comes from the belief that if you hit me, you are at fault. Which unfortunately typically works because it becomes a he said / he said case and the police typically don't want to get involved in insurance cases, not unless laws were clearly broken.
They aren't there to witness the collision so they can't tell of the party with the YIELD failed to give the rigfht of way or the other driver was simply negligent and hit them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think if you asked people what YIELD meant you might be surprised on how some thought it was supposed to operate.

Good place to watch that YIELD in practice is at a few of the right turns onto 235, particular RT CR Rd and coming out of First Colony.
What it seems to mean for some is they come around the turn a full speed and then try to merge over into the right lane, beliving it's the responsibility of the vehicle on 235 to give way.
Which works, particularly by Wa Wa and Sheetz. SB 235 vehicles come to a stop on 235 to allow the party with the YIELD sign the right of way.

I've actually seen it posted at one or more circles that you should yield to the traffic IN the circle, but as noted above it doesn't stop some from trying to get in front of that vehicle in the circle.
I think that comes from the belief that if you hit me, you are at fault. Which unfortunately typically works because it becomes a he said / he said case and the police typically don't want to get involved in insurance cases, not unless laws were clearly broken.
They aren't there to witness the collision so they can't tell of the party with the YIELD failed to give the rigfht of way or the other driver was simply negligent and hit them.

Again, I agree. Many treat it as a mere suggestion.

glhs837

Power with Control

Dashcams, your friend. If you drive right, that is.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Dashcams, your friend. If you drive right, that is.

Which means defensively, so you let the azzhat go, maybe raise the finger in salute of their ignorance, but as I have been reminded, two wrongs don't make a right.
Unless you have the police cite the other individual as 100% at fault, insurance companies will subrogate and you will pay for eternity.
Wife was hit once by a driver who 'thought" they had a left turn signal. The officer that responded didn't bother to check and said that since they had not witnessed the collision, they would not write a ticket.
[the over vehcile actually hit the front wheel of the vehicle my wife was driving so you would think there wouldn't be a question]

LE friends later told me that the cop just didn't want to get dragged into court and he was letting the insurance company settle it.

It wasn't until the supervisory adjustor went to the body shop that the case was resolved. The body shop was close to the intersection and they pointed out to the adjuster there was no left turn signal. Which he could clearly see by stepping out of the office.

They settled real quick after that. REAL QUICK. Body shop people told me the adjuster was afraid we would sue AND win. So he was generous in the settlement.

But short of that, insurance companies don't care, easier for them to subrogate and each driver gets to take a hit (loss).

glhs837

Power with Control
Which means defensively, so you let the azzhat go, maybe raise the finger in salute of their ignorance, but as I have been reminded, two wrongs don't make a right.
Unless you have the police cite the other individual as 100% at fault, insurance companies will subrogate and you will pay for eternity.
Wife was hit once by a driver who 'thought" they had a left turn signal. The officer that responded didn't bother to check and said that since they had not witnessed the collision, they would not write a ticket.
[the over vehcile actually hit the front wheel of the vehicle my wife was driving so you would think there wouldn't be a question]

LE friends later told me that the cop just didn't want to get dragged into court and he was letting the insurance company settle it.

It wasn't until the supervisory adjustor went to the body shop that the case was resolved. The body shop was close to the intersection and they pointed out to the adjuster there was no left turn signal. Which he could clearly see by stepping out of the office.

They settled real quick after that. REAL QUICK. Body shop people told me the adjuster was afraid we would sue AND win. So he was generous in the settlement.

But short of that, insurance companies don't care, easier for them to subrogate and each driver gets to take a hit (loss).

Most times I do just that, let things go. Occasionally I raise up my Massachusetts M####### Driver aspect and give'em the business, but thats pretty rare :) One reason I dont really push getting on in the family vehicles is that we stay out of confrontations. But I do think I am going to mount one on the motorcycle.