Ferrier reccomendations??

HorseQueen

Richard Victor is awesome. He is great with my big guy (17'1 Shire). We've been using him for the past 5 years and have zero complaints. Message me if you would like his contact information.

nutz

Richard Victor is awesome. He is great with my big guy (17'1 Shire). We've been using him for the past 5 years and have zero complaints. Message me if you would like his contact information.

What's the trick to keeping him on schedule? I know he's busy but sometimes a return phone call would be nice

HorseQueen

What's the trick to keeping him on schedule? I know he's busy but sometimes a return phone call would be nice

I'm not sure about your situation (how many horses you have, etc.), but with us just having one horse it's really easy. When Richard comes out we automatically schedule again so he is constantly coming out every six weeks. If you mean on schedule as in on time, then we try to get the earlier appointments. He comes out to trim my horse before he heads over to another barn with more horses. When we would get an appointment later in the day he would sometimes be a little bit later (about 30 minutes), but it's always been the days he goes to the larger barns first. He's always been pretty good about answering calls. You can always try texting him too.. We call and text back and forth.

Hoover

Tina Entizan is very good - I think she is called Healthy Hoof.

Mark Wolcot he is in Waldorf and does it on a part-time basis for the last 25 or so years.

Angus Whyte isnt taking any new customers - if he was he would take us as we are next door to him.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Pat Riffle, Crossroads Forge 301-769-3503

Excellent work, always on time, following appt made before he leaves your job.

ravenhorse

Pat Riffle, Crossroads Forge 301-769-3503

Excellent work, always on time, following appt made before he leaves your job.

Yes, I highly recommend Pat. Very very nice guy, wonderful with the horses, tries to earn their trust instead of forcing them to comply. Really knows his stuff too. I have two horses with feet issues, and he's helped them tremendously!

quailridge

I also recommend Pat Riffle. He has done my horses for the past 5 years. He is patient, thorough and trustworthy. Always on time for me. Prices are very reasonable too.

wonchance

Really??? Interesting. I had some major issues with him. So have others I've talked with.
Any farrier that refuses to return phone calls, show up on time, and overcharges for doing so I cannot recommend.
I guess you have had better luck with him than I did.
On the plus side. My horse has been sound sound sound for years since I stopped using him.

Duckz

Really??? Interesting. I had some major issues with him. So have others I've talked with.
Any farrier that refuses to return phone calls, show up on time, and overcharges for doing so I cannot recommend.
On the plus side. My horse has been sound sound sound for years since I stopped using him.

My barn has been using Richard Victor for years. He does great work on my eventer as well as my friend's show hunter (who goes in pads, special shoes, etc). His prices are right in line with other farriers.

ETA: to be fair, if any farrier says they'll be there by 11 and they show up sometime before 12, I consider them "on time" :whistle:

Last edited:

SugarNSpikes

Farriers are interesting creatures! I'm always a stickler for "on time" meaning.. if someone says 11, they better be there at 11... but farriers and horse vets.. if we agree on 11, I know that probably means I should be there at 11 and they can be there anytime from 10:45-12.

I've had issues with one farrier who made my horse go dead lame (when he pulled the shoe/nails out, we could see the abcess) and it was so many years ago, I don't even remember his name.

I use Patrick Quinn and he's phenomenal. Always on time (within 10 minutes) and if there's an issue, he texts me. My only "complaint" is that he's pricey, but considering the drive he makes just to come to my barn for one horse and he's always done a fantastic job, I don't mind paying. He also does the little things that make all the difference - texting me to remind me when my horse is due (sometimes I'm forgetful) and putting Tuff Stuff on my horses hooves at the end of the appointment.

nutz

My experience with him was similar to this. I would schedule the next appt. and no show, no call. Glad he's got work somewhere else.

on time I kind of take with a grain of salt. Give or take 30 -45 mins, no biggie.

Last edited:

wonchance

My experience with him was similar to this. I would schedule the next appt. and no show, no call. Glad he's got work somewhere else.

on time I kind of take with a grain of salt. Give or take 30 -45 mins, no biggie.

I'm kinda like you. I understand things come up , but if you don't show up or call within an hour of your appointment time, I assume you aren't showing up.
I love my current farrier, so I couldn't be happier with how things turned out.

Duckz

I always call a few days to a week before my appointment to verify day, time, etc. Then I might text to see how "on time" the vet or farrier is that day. I guess farriers have trained me well over the years :lmao: And honestly it's a lot easier being at a big barn where the farrier schedules several horses for the same day.

fredsaid2

Everyone's mileage varies, but in the 12 years Pat Riffle had been my farrier, I can remember him cancelling an appt maybe twice due to unforeseen circumstances. Late? maybe 5 times (talking 15 mins and under). Typically he arrives early and I've never had to confirm the appointment. His punctuality is much appreciated when you have limited time in your schedule. :smile:

Dealt with Richard Victor...started not showing up when scheduled without a phone call.... I would reschedule he would agree to be there and then not show up....became totally unreliable. Pat Quinn, the best, very reliable and on time:)