Finally here, Starship rocket launch tomorrow AM.,

glhs837

Power with Control
Subject to scrubs for reasons, as are all rocket launches. Barring those, this candles gonna get lit. 0715 EST is feed start time, with 08 veing the launch window that runs til 9am.

This the largest and more powerful rocket in the history of the world. There's a good chance some or all of it ends in a massive fireball. But given the whole program starting from first metal is less than 4 years old, its still an amazing accomplishment.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Didn't think it was bigger than the Saturn V, but it is....

Comparison​

SpaceX StarshipSaturn V
Height394 feet363 feet
Diameter30 feet33 feet
Dry Weight330 tons207 tons
Payload110 to 165 tons48 to 118 tons
Maximum Passengers1003 (on Apollo modules)
Engine Thrust16.9 million pounds9 million pounds
Rocket FuelLiquid MethaneKerosene, Liquid Hydrogen, Liquid Oxygen
Hull MaterialStainless SteelAluminum, Titanium, Asbestos Panels
DesignerSpaceXNASA

glhs837

Power with Control
Big rockets.jpeg

nervous big bang theory GIF

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I am assuming they off-loaded all that fuel back to the tank farm. Do they loose fuel in the process?
Yep, a lot of that vapor you see is venting. So that stuffs lost.

Guy tweeted this morning at 830am regarding tankers that he had counted. I assume an LN2 purge will be required before refuelling.

"26 x LN2 11 x LOX 3 x CH4"

glhs837

Power with Control
Is that a space shuttle of some sort on the end?

If you mean the far right side, nope. Thats Starship. Comprised of Super Heavy, the first stage, and Starship, the second stage, when stacked, they are the Starship System. Fully reusable like the shuttle. But a bit different in execution. The Shuttle wasted a lot of mass on flight surfaces. This one has a different return profile. For this test, both stages will land at sea, but eventually, I think within a year you will see both rockets return to the launch site to be caught by the launch tower.

While the booster will pretty much act like a giant Falcon 9 first stage, the Starship will reenter sort of like the Shuttle, but then enter a minutes long free fall like a skydiver. Those huge flaps are not wings, there's no glide like the shuttle. Its a straight vertical fall at terminal velocity. At the end og which it will ignite two or three engines and flip to a hover. There was another flight after this one that sucedded, but this one had the best onvoard views of one of those tests.

Kinnakeet

If you mean the far right side, nope. Thats Starship. Comprised of Super Heavy, the first stage, and Starship, the second stage, when stacked, they are the Starship System. Fully reusable like the shuttle. But a bit different in execution. The Shuttle wasted a lot of mass on flight surfaces. This one has a different return profile. For this test, both stages will land at sea, but eventually, I think within a year you will see both rockets return to the launch site to be caught by the launch tower.

While the booster will pretty much act like a giant Falcon 9 first stage, the Starship will reenter sort of like the Shuttle, but then enter a minutes long free fall like a skydiver. Those huge flaps are not wings, there's no glide like the shuttle. Its a straight vertical fall at terminal velocity. At the end og which it will ignite two or three engines and flip to a hover. There was another flight after this one that sucedded, but this one had the best onvoard views of one of those tests.

Is the video real or animation? pretty dam awesome

glhs837

Power with Control
Is the video real or animation? pretty dam awesome

Every bit of it is real. Nice thing about this taking place at Boca Chica is that everyone can see it all. Its such a small place. These guys run a 24/7 live feed, and stand up multiple cameras with hosts when flights or static fires happen. They are fans who found a way to monetize this. Scroll through thier list of videos. I cant keep up, but ther documenting every single aspect. The build site a mile or so down the raod where the rockects are built. Arrival of new parts and materials. These rockets are being built in fabric tents and giant open bay hangers right there in Texas. Engines built in Hawthorne, CA.

This is the video they streamed for that same test.

Recommend watching one of these Starbase updates just to get a feel for the level of scrutiny these rocket fans have this place under. I know I dont watch them all. Not enough free time, but its handy to go back to see things.

One last thing. This entire place was pretty much a dirt lot four years ago........ I dont think Old Space could draw up the site plans in less than four years.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I remember these excitement with those NSF guys last year when SN15 successfully stuck the landing. Not quite an Apollo 11 moment, but it was up there.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Interesting. I just heard on NSF that even though they are filling the header tank (used for landing), they will not be using it on for this test splash down. I just assumed they try to drop the rocket into the water gently for recovery.