Finally here, Starship rocket launch tomorrow AM.,

Clem72

Didn't see anyone mention they were retrying today. 2 minutes to go.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Maybe National Marjuana Day wasn't the best day to launch.

airplane-ii-the-sequel-elaine-smokes-weed-joint-roach-julie-hagerty-review.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Interesting. I just heard on NSF that even though they are filling the header tank (used for landing), they will not be using it on for this test splash down. I just assumed they try to drop the rocket into the water gently for recovery.

Need to be mass representative, even if you are not.

In any case, it cleared the pad and made it through MaxQ. Looks like the stae sep went wrong. Given this is a whole new method of decoupling, makes sense, no way in the world to really test that.

Good thing Booster 8 and 9 are ready to go, as is Ship 25. I think less than a month or two before they go again, depending on what they learn from this one. The clamping/release mechaism is pretty simple, so modification should be also.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Need to be mass representative, even if you are not.

In any case, it cleared the pad and made it through MaxQ. Looks like the stae sep went wrong. Given this is a whole new method of decoupling, makes sense, no way in the world to really test that.

Good thing Booster 8 and 9 are ready to go, as is Ship 25. I think less than a month or two before they go again, depending on what they learn from this one. The clamping/release mechaism is pretty simple, so modification should be also.
The loss of 5-6 Raptors was a little concerning even though it still made it through Max-Q.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why are they cheering?
It blew up.
Probably because they only had 5 engine failures and they made it up high enough to do the separation.

So many unknowns and firsts, as noted above, clearing the pad alone, meaning getting the most and most powerful rockets known to man to all light and lift the rocket, success. Achieving controlled flight of the largest and heaviest rocket ever, using a rocket design that had only flown short hops, success. Making it through MaxQ with all aprts, and a whole new tile system. They damn thing are clipped onto metal pins. Sucess.

Clem72

The loss of 5-6 Raptors was a little concerning even though it still made it through Max-Q.
Is it? Maybe if it impacted the "spin" and cause the issue with separation. Otherwise, seems good to me since we know that even with 15% (5 of 33) of engines failing they can complete the mission. That means 28 of the engines worked correctly in the confined space with other engines/heat/whatever impacting them. That means they have proved the design is capable, now they just need to tweak things to keep that failure rate down.

And as we know, SpaceX doesn't "over engineer" their solutions, they try to get things pretty close and then iterate to the best solution.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It looked to me like the second stage never ignited to separate from the first stage.