Fire Gruden, Keep RGIII?

PeoplesElbow

:killingme

Lane Kiffin? Good one.

I'd consider an argument where a college all-star team could compete against the worst NFL team. You're talking 1st-round talent against an NFL team that's probably filled with a bunch of players that were low round picks, maybe a couple of stars here and there. Strength may be the biggest factor that would give the game to the NFL team, but times have changed. Every season you see a bunch of rookies that are able to really COMPETE with the NFL. Sometimes people argue they're new so teams need a year to learn them, but if you're talking a 1-time game then that's going to be the same case. So I see no reason why rookies (or college all-stars who are about to go pro) who come to the NFL and have great success would struggle against a lowly NFL team. 10+ years ago that's a good case, but TODAY, that's bogus.

That being said, parody reigns in the NFL and it's a QB driven league. You're right that RGIII probably isn't a top tier QB so the Skins probably need to move on. I'd give him until the end of his contract to prove it though, BUT I'd try to find another QB this offseason. I'd definitely give him this year since Cousins & McCoy aren't the answer either, so it makes the most sense to give the job to the guy who cost the most in assets. You HAVE to try to make it work considering the bounty the Rams got for RGIII (and then mocked the Skins with in their recent game).

The primary difference is the mount of practice that is allowed. College rules limit the amount of practice to 20 hrs/week, this is why you see so much blown coverage etc in college games even with very good teams.

PeoplesElbow

I don't see how RGIII is a 'good' quarterback. His fault, no ones fault, his rookie season was a fluke and NFL defenses are all too happy to see him run knowing he'll be out of the game before long. Other teams that feature the read option, Seattle, Wilson is MUCH better suited to it than Robert AND has a good O line and a great D. The 49'ers did not win the SB with Kaepernick and won't even make the playoffs this year with a good O line and great D. It's a gimmick offense especially if you get hurt most every time you take off. Wilson is the only guy making it work and he's on a great team.

I think Pittsburgh with Ben could make it work, he is really hard to take down, maybe the veer or flexbone.

PeoplesElbow

Ben is an extraordinary QB. Robert was and is not. Am I missing the point here???

I don't think the option style offenses should be dismissed so readily is all. I've never really considered Ben an elite QB, play maker yes. From his interviews he really doesn't consider himself an elite passer either.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't think the option style offenses should be dismissed so readily is all. .

Gimmick. Wilson won a Superbowl with it and he was on an elite team, top to bottom. ANY D coordinator relished the chance to get hits on QB's. Especially when all his db's are subject to arrest and deportation for even looking at a WR.

PeoplesElbow

Gimmick. Wilson won a Superbowl with it and he was on an elite team, top to bottom. ANY D coordinator relished the chance to get hits on QB's. Especially when all his db's are subject to arrest and deportation for even looking at a WR.

Without all of the rule changes that favor the wide receivers of the last 20 years I think NFL offences would be more varied or at least more run oriented. All of those rule changes to make the games more exciting pointed the NFL offenses in the direction they are in today.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Without all of the rule changes that favor the wide receivers of the last 20 years I think NFL offences would be more varied or at least more run oriented. All of those rule changes to make the games more exciting pointed the NFL offenses in the direction they are in today.

Oh, no doubt. It's really absurd. Dan Marino put up 2014 numbers 30 years ago. What would he do today, 6,000 yard seasons? 70 TD's? I remember one season he lit us up in the opener and threw, IIRC, 5 TD's and we were a good team but, helpless, really.

SG_Player1974

How many times does it have to be proven that you DO NOT need a top caliber... hell, even a decent QB to win!

Does anyone remember the 2000 Ravens with Dilfer?

Does anyone remember the 2007 New York Giants? (If ANYONE thinks that Eli is an elite QB...... :faint:)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How many times does it have to be proven that you DO NOT need a top caliber... hell, even a decent QB to win!

Does anyone remember the 2000 Ravens with Dilfer?

Does anyone remember the 2007 New York Giants? (If ANYONE thinks that Eli is an elite QB...... :faint:)

OK but, the 2000 Raven's probably would have won with ANYONE at QB. You can't build that dominant a D anymore, not with the new rules. And the Eli Giants also had fantastic D's and you can do a lot worse than Eli as your QB. The guy is durable, makes big plays at big times, and is a competitor.

You need a GOOD qb. I understand the interest in RGIII but, he was much longer on potential than real world pro style experience.

SG_Player1974

OK but, the 2000 Raven's probably would have won with ANYONE at QB. You can't build that dominant a D anymore, not with the new rules. And the Eli Giants also had fantastic D's and you can do a lot worse than Eli as your QB. The guy is durable, makes big plays at big times, and is a competitor.

You need a GOOD qb. I understand the interest in RGIII but, he was much longer on potential than real world pro style experience.

The guy is "durable" because he doesn't hang in the pocket like top tier QBs do. If he hears footsteps, he either throws it at the feet of the nearest back OR he heaves it out of bounds.

He doesn't make BIG plays.... unless you mean that he throws the ball in the air with the hopes that miracles will happen (i.e. the helmet catch in the SB) You can constantly see how he is heavily dependent on his receivers to pull his arse out of the fire.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The guy is "durable" because he doesn't hang in the pocket like top tier QBs do. If he hears footsteps, he either throws it at the feet of the nearest back OR he heaves it out of bounds.

He doesn't make BIG plays.... unless you mean that he throws the ball in the air with the hopes that miracles will happen (i.e. the helmet catch in the SB) You can constantly see how he is heavily dependent on his receivers to pull his arse out of the fire.

Is winning SB's the measure or no? Yes, it is. Now, if you'd like to argue they win those two with a lesser QB, be my guest. As a Skins fan, I've seen how good the guy can be. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
All you "Keep RGIII" guys said the same about Jason Campbell. Look how he prospered once he left.

Hank

my war
They were talking Cutler today on talk radio since he just got benched.

Last edited: