Fire Gruden, Keep RGIII?

PeoplesElbow

How many times does it have to be proven that you DO NOT need a top caliber... hell, even a decent QB to win!

Does anyone remember the 2000 Ravens with Dilfer?

Does anyone remember the 2007 New York Giants? (If ANYONE thinks that Eli is an elite QB...... :faint:)

Dilfer was the most underrated QB I have ever seen. The guy just won games and everyone hated him I never understood that.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Does anyone remember the 2007 New York Giants? (If ANYONE thinks that Eli is an elite QB...... :faint:)

The football giants were 2 plays away from being the Buffalo bills. Dave Tyree's catch & Wes Welker's dropped pass. The NY D was the MVP of the first of those 2 SBs.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The football giants were 2 plays away from being the Buffalo bills. Dave Tyree's catch & Wes Welker's dropped pass. The NY D was the MVP of the first of those 2 SBs.

Don't forget Scott Norwood. Giants would have lost that one to Buffalo. But, that was pre Eli.

Monello

PREMO Member
Don't forget Scott Norwood. Giants would have lost that one to Buffalo. But, that was pre Eli.

See if Norwood makes that field goal, Jim Kelly isn't the answer to some trivia question. Same with Manning Junior. Drop a catch, make a catch and Eli's a 2 time SB runner up.

Now how he ever got SB MVP is beyond me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
See if Norwood makes that field goal, Jim Kelly isn't the answer to some trivia question. Same with Manning Junior. Drop a catch, make a catch and Eli's a 2 time SB runner up.

Now how he ever got SB MVP is beyond me.

That's the game though, yeah? :shrug:

I mean, the game against the Pat's, man, who do you give it to if not him, the entire Defense?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
ABSO-FRICKIN-LOUTELY!

Are you going to say that Eli was responsible for stopping the Patriots and winning that SB?

No. Are you going to say the D line was responsible for standing in there, getting free and delivering THE pass PLUS the TD to Plaxico a few plays later?

QB's get too much credit and too much blame.

PeoplesElbow

I always liked him better than Schuler, who we took over Dilfer but, I never felt like he was much underrated. I mean, he was the 6th pick in the draft, a draft very lean on QB's.

Not so much underrated by his draft position but the way people talked about him and cast him aside after he managed games that won his team a superbowl.

I'm not sure I can remember a good QB drafted around that time frame, all I remember is the famed class of 1984 and then the late 90's picks like Brady and Manning.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not so much underrated by his draft position but the way people talked about him and cast him aside after he managed games that won his team a superbowl.

I'm not sure I can remember a good QB drafted around that time frame, all I remember is the famed class of 1984 and then the late 90's picks like Brady and Manning.

I remember him asked to just not turn the ball over. That Raven's team was stunning D wise. Every run seemed to be a fumble or nearly so. Every pass seemed to be tipped or knocked down. He was NOT putting up points leading into the playoffs. He was not the reason they got in. He did just enough and he didn't hurt them at really bad times. It was like 'Raven's field goal!!!' and the D was like "Game."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The year before, '93, was Bledsoe and Brunnell. '92 was total dud city. '91 was Favre. '90 was George and then awful. '95 was McNair, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins (who got killed in that 2000 Super bowl (Dilfer won) for the Giants) '96 was a dud year, '97 Plummer was the class of the draft, Peyton was '98 along with Leif(!!!) and '99 was fair with McNabb and Culpepper and Aaron Brooks.

It's TOUGH finding a QB who sticks for long. Joe Gibbs won with Theisman, Doug Williams and Rypien. Most everyone else gets their shots with one guy for a time and done. But, it is also hard to build a team like those Redskin teams.

SG_Player1974

When I think of an "Elite" quarterback, I think of one that, when transplanted to ANY team, automatically makes that team a contender.

Favre, Rodgers, P. Manning, Brady, possibly Rivers..... all of these guys could go to just about any team and one could say "Hey... we have a great shot this year!"

Eli Manning does NOT fit in this category IMHO.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
When I think of an "Elite" quarterback, I think of one that, when transplanted to ANY team, automatically makes that team a contender.

Favre, Rodgers, P. Manning, Brady, possibly Rivers..... all of these guys could go to just about any team and one could say "Hey... we have a great shot this year!"

Eli Manning does NOT fit in this category IMHO.
You forgot Tony.

SG_Player1974

You forgot Tony.

No I didn't!

Tony is a decent quarterback however, he is NOT the field general that the others listed are. I would put 'ole Tony on the same level as Roethlisberger and Wilson. Good SB winning QBs but....... not "Elite"

Maybe even Rivers should be with them... :shrug:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
No I didn't!

Tony is a decent quarterback however, he is NOT the field general that the others listed are. I would put 'ole Tony on the same level as Roethlisberger and Wilson. Good SB winning QBs but....... not "Elite"

Maybe even Rivers should be with them... :shrug:

:bawl:

Tony is my Buddy

Monello

PREMO Member
Depending on how Bob plays next week, Gruden may have to reconsider his QB options for next season.

Monello

PREMO Member
The team needs wins. Bob got them a win. If he wins next week that complicates things. Gruden clearly wants to go in a different direction. Washington should draft linemen next time around. Many of the recent high draft QBs haven't lit the league up. So far only Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson have had any success. With the luck the redskins have been having they end up with Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf or Vince Young and end up wasting a pick.