Firearms: What Have You Owned/Used/Fired?

D-35

All Those Emails to MD State Senators WORKED

(From an NRA-ILA 16 Feb email... Cool! heh-heh-heh)

Senate Bill 516- "Assault Weapons" Ban WITHDRAWN by Sponsor
Thanks to the massive opposition and outcry against this extreme anti-gun bill, the sponsor has elected to withdraw the legislation. Senate Bill 516 would have prohibited the possession, transfer or receipt of these firearms by law-abiding Maryland residents.

Specifically this bill would have.

- Prohibited most semi-automatic pistols. The bill defines any semi-automatic pistol as an "assault weapon," if it can be fitted with a threaded barrel. Virtually all modern semi-automatic pistols 9mm and above use barrels that are readily removable and replaceable, of course.

- Prohibited semi-automatic shotguns configured for home protection with a pistol grip and folding stock, regardless of barrel length or magazine capacity.

- Prohibited versions of the AR-15 that are currently legal in California by prohibiting any detachable magazine semi-automatic rifle that could be fitted with a pistol grip. California bans this kind of rifle only if it is fitted with a pistol grip.

- Prohibited anyone who lives outside Maryland from bringing an AR-15, M1A, or other such rifle into the state for lawful purposes, such as a training class or marksmanship competition.

This is a well deserved victory for Maryland's law-abiding gun owners but we still must remain vigilant to the threats posed by a multitude of anti-gun bills still making their way around the Maryland General Assembly.

:buddies:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
My arsenal

Attachments

• fat-straws.jpg
    fat-straws.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 32

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
(From an NRA-ILA 16 Feb email... Cool! heh-heh-heh)

Senate Bill 516- "Assault Weapons" Ban WITHDRAWN by Sponsor
Thanks to the massive opposition and outcry against this extreme anti-gun bill, the sponsor has elected to withdraw the legislation. Senate Bill 516 would have prohibited the possession, transfer or receipt of these firearms by law-abiding Maryland residents.

Specifically this bill would have.

- Prohibited most semi-automatic pistols. The bill defines any semi-automatic pistol as an "assault weapon," if it can be fitted with a threaded barrel. Virtually all modern semi-automatic pistols 9mm and above use barrels that are readily removable and replaceable, of course.

- Prohibited semi-automatic shotguns configured for home protection with a pistol grip and folding stock, regardless of barrel length or magazine capacity.

- Prohibited versions of the AR-15 that are currently legal in California by prohibiting any detachable magazine semi-automatic rifle that could be fitted with a pistol grip. California bans this kind of rifle only if it is fitted with a pistol grip.

- Prohibited anyone who lives outside Maryland from bringing an AR-15, M1A, or other such rifle into the state for lawful purposes, such as a training class or marksmanship competition.

This is a well deserved victory for Maryland's law-abiding gun owners but we still must remain vigilant to the threats posed by a multitude of anti-gun bills still making their way around the Maryland General Assembly.

:buddies:

Good Lord! If that had gone through and passed, the only firearm that I possess would have been tagged as illegal, simply because the barrel is threaded onto the receiver, and can be exchanged for what? maybe a longer one?(that is the only reason I would consider.)

Thanks for the info!:buddies:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What would be an excellent first weapon to own for a noob shooter?

Depends on how good a shot you want to be.

To get the basics down, breathing, stance, trigger control, follow through, you really need to put zero rounds down range AND a lot of rounds down range. AND if you don't take the time to learn the basics, you can send 10,000 rounds down range and still be a lousy shot.

To be able to afford to do both you want a small caliber gun.

All joking aside, an air rifle is a very good choice to learn with as you can usually practice at home, or at someones house with just a little property. No need to pack up and travel to a range to practice (generally you won't, you'll just convince yourself you're good enough and stop going).

But airguns can be more expensive than "real" guns depending on how serious you get. Anshutz makes air guns than run well over the $1000 mark.

If you're interested in shooting pistol, again, a great, cheap, way to learn is with an air pistol.

The amount of rounds it takes to shoot well can be costly.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Again, depending on how good a shot you want to be..

Practice Practice Practice..

Start at 25 feet. 3 position, Prone, Kneeling and Off-Hand (Standing) (competition usually includes a fourth position, Sitting) and practice until you can get 5 rounds under the size of a dime covering the "ten spot" in all positions.

Then move out to 50 feet..

Do the same, then start using guns that go bang!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Thanks for some tips. I've been thinking about acquiring a firearm recently. I figure to do a lot more homework before I go buying though.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Exactly! Lots of fun too, I might add; a great way to start.

DCM was my bestest friend when I was a teen..

$1 range fee, they supplied the guns, and all the ammo. Probably averaged 200 rounds a week at least..

Even bought my first rifle from DCM, at the age of 16 bought a Remington 540, I was the first and only person to shoot it, and at the end of the season I bought it for $80. Have to wonder where it is now.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Rifle? Ruger 10/22. Handguns are a bit more personal- I like my Ruger MkIII Target, but a High Standard or Browning Buckmark are all great .22LR semi-auto trainer / plinkers. Try out a bunch and see what "fits". And learn and abide by Col. Cooper's rules.
The Gun Zone -- "The Rules"

You know, a .22LR is one firearm/rifle, I never did have much experience with. I believe there was one, that I saw in the Calif. Wal*Mart display case, years back, it might have been the Browning you are speaking of. Sleek looking, is the best adjective I can recall. Expensive as hell, if I remember, but that Browning name would have something to do with that. That might be a player, in the near future, however. Something to "plink" at targets with?

edinsomd - is that what you've got?