First Hangun ...

C

czygvtwkr

Well I am considering buying my first handgun. After doing some research I have decided that I don't want a total hand cannon but I want something with some stopping power. I have narrowed my choices down to a .357 revolver or a .45 autoloader. I am a large man so I dont think I would have problems with a larger model. I do have a few hunting rifles so I wouldn't be a total chuck.

Does anyone have any recomendations about what to buy, is the Tacklebox a decent place to buy it from?

Is there a safty course around here, and finally is there a public range where I could get familiar with it.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
czygvtwkr said:
Well I am considering buying my first handgun. After doing some research I have decided that I don't want a total hand cannon but I want something with some stopping power. I have narrowed my choices down to a .357 revolver or a .45 autoloader. I am a large man so I dont think I would have problems with a larger model. I do have a few hunting rifles so I wouldn't be a total chuck.

Does anyone have any recomendations about what to buy, is the Tacklebox a decent place to buy it from?

Is there a safty course around here, and finally is there a public range where I could get familiar with it.
The Tackle Box is a little on the high side for price but they have a great selection. A .45 has a lot of stopping power and is mainly for close range. A revolver is a good first handgun depending on the application. If you have experience with a handgun and are looking to plink a .357 is good so you can shoot cheaper .38 throught it. For home protection go with the .45. No public ranges that I know of. Sanner's Lake is membership and close but you need two member signatures to get in. From what I hear they are not taking any new members at the moment. Good luck.

edinsomd

I'm assuming you want a handgun for home defense and plinking (don't get me started on CCW in Maryland), so I second Dutch6's recommdation on a wheel gun in size .357. I have a S&W 686 that I'm very happy with, but Ruger and Tauras also make fine ones. Tackle Box just sold a friend a S&W1911 (.45 semi-auto) for $200 below msrp, competition with "D's" in Callaway is a good thing. Be sure to stop at both and compare prices. Try and get some range time with the models you're interested in, with an experienced gunner. You'll get some good safety pointers and a better idea of what "fits".
Welcome to the world of firearms,
Ed

bobbyb

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/myrtlegrove.asp

Myrtle Grove Park near LaPlata has a public eight-station firearm shooting range, trap range, and three-station archery range are open for public use by permit. Rifle, shotgun and pistol target shooting are permitted. The range is closed during deer firearms season.
Range permits vary in cost and can be obtained from Myrtle Grove WMA, Hallowing Point Regional Service Center in Prince Frederick, or the Tawes State Office Building in Annapolis. Also check in Walmart in LaPlata for permits. Last time I got a permit it was $15 per year, but that was a while ago.

Cletus_Vandam

IMHO stay away from Tackle Box. I had a run in with them some two years ago with paint ball supplies.

They are expensive. If you know people with handguns, talk to them see what they like, see what they have and ask them to take you shooting so that you can try them first hand.

Fir a first, so with the revolver. They are easier to maintain, easier to clean, they don't jam, reloads are easy, etc.

For home protection a 4" barrel is fine, but if you plan to go concealed carry go with a 2.5" barrel. You won't be shooting long range so that shouldn't be a problem.

dustin

UAIOE
I suggest finding a range that rents out handguns for you to try out (some of them even have safety courses), along with finding some gun buddies that will let you try their's out, before you purchase...

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I also say stay away from the tackle box, too high, if you can get some where and rent a few guns get the one that feels the best in your hand and you can shoot the best, that is most important and then pick the caliber based on that. With today's bullet designs caliber is less important than it has ever been when you are talking about the typical self-defense handgun calibers.

That said my newest hand-gun is the Spingfield XD-45, I suggest you atleast check it out for consideration. If you have any specific questions about it or any Sigs that you maybe considering I can pretty much answer them for you.

The Sig P220 is a sweet shooter too.

ETA- Also some say that a .357 mag is not the best for HD due to the huge muzzle flash and how loud they are, especially indoors.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Word of caution...

czygvtwkr said:

...larger semi automatics REQUIRE a firm grip. The mechanics of the weapon use the energy from the fired round to cycle the slide which allows the spent casing to be ejected and a fresh round to be stripped from the magazine and loaded into the breech. A weaker or tentative grip, referred to as 'limp wristing', can cause too much of the energy to be lost by not providing firm resistance for all this to take place against resulting in a malfunction, usually the spent casing not being ejected fully which causes a jam that must be cleared before you can fire again.

A wheel gun, a revolver, is much more fool proof and is, in my opinion, the best choice for 'non' gun people.

Having said that, I love 1911's but I shoot frequently. Having said that, I still limp it once in awhile.

So, if this is not you self defense weapon, get a .45 auto loader and you'll get used to it pretty quick. If it is to be your defense weapon, I'd seriously think about that .357

If you go auto, check this out for sure;

http://www.hk-usa.com/usp_general.html

That'll be my next one.

If you want spend a fortune, look at Wilsons.

Springfield makes a good one but I'd never trust one right out of the box.

limblips

PREMO Member
The absolute best handgun for personal protection is the one that you can shoot accurately!!!! He is just as dead with a properly placed .22 as he is with a .45! Over gunning is a common thing.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
limblips said:
The absolute best handgun for personal protection is the one that you can shoot accurately!!!! He is just as dead with a properly placed .22 as he is with a .45! Over gunning is a common thing.

I agree with your sentiment, but noone in there right mind would select a .22 as a personal defense weapon unless it was the only thing available. 9mm and .45ACP are not hand cannons and anyone with any level of training can learn to shoot these calibers accuratley. Hole size is important in handgun shootings unless the CNS is struck.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
limblips said:
The .22 is one of the most dangerous rounds made. It's small and very fast. This being the case, when fired you never know where it will stop/end up. .45 is slow and has more stopping power. I would not want a .22 for home protection. Now if I have a hitman business that would be a different story.

Last edited:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I have heard there is supposed to be a real nice indoor shooting range in Upper Marlboro. Maybe they have rental guns there.

I have a .45 My first handgun. Always shot rifles and shotguns growing up. I have no problem shooting it but the one time I took it out I couldn't hit a thing. At 25 yards I was 2 foot low.... my Dad was pickin off beer cans with no problem. :lmao: It appears that when I pull the trigger I am dropping the barrel down. I only shot a few clips and was starting to bring it up a little bit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here we go!

limblips said:

...the old caliber battle.

If it's just home defense, in my home, 3 am, I want a pump shotgun. I don't have to aim much, I'll scare most off when I load a shell and, if nothing else, I can beat you with it and/or keep you at arms length. And, as someone said, you gotta worry where any .22 on up round is gonna go. Not so much with buck shot.

Having said that, ANY gun is better than NO gun but I'd rather 6 or 8 or 15 rounds of .32 over .22 and .38 over .32 and .357 over .38 and .40 over .357 and .45 over .40, .50 over .45, 20 mm over .50, 40mm over 20mm and 16" battleship turret if I can get my hands on one.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Larry Gude said:

If it's just home defense, in my home, 3 am, I want a pump shotgun. I don't have to aim much, I'll scare most off when I load a shell and, if nothing else, I can beat you with it and/or keep you at arms length. And, as someone said, you gotta worry where any .22 on up round is gonna go. Not so much with buck shot.

Having said that, ANY gun is better than NO gun but I'd rather 6 or 8 or 15 rounds of .32 over .22 and .38 over .32 and .357 over .38 and .40 over .357 and .45 over .40, .50 over .45, 20 mm over .50, 40mm over 20mm and 16" battleship turret if I can get my hands on one.
I keep 2 shotguns loaded. One next to my bed the other on the other side of the house.... You never know when or where your going to need a gun :lmao: I keep a clip of HP in my .45 but that would be the last stand gun. The shotgun beside my bed has a folding stock, heat shield, short barrel, and a tactical light on the side of it. :yay:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
AK-74me said:
With in this link you'll find lots of info. and other links to even more info. if you want to learn about ballistics, bullet expansion, wound channels ect... lots of reading for those intrested in educating themselves on this topic.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237
Did you ever see that website that had webcams of guns that you could control and shoot over the internet? :lmao: I never tried it but it looked neat

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Larry

Larry Gude said:

While true that typical HD shotgun loads don't penetrate as well as some of the other mentioned calibers it still penetrates pleanty to cause concerns for over penetration in HD situations.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

But as the tester notes, it takes a certain about of penetration to be an effective man stopper so it seems like a good trade off.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Now just how...

Magnum said:
I keep 2 shotguns loaded. One next to my bed the other on the other side of the house.... You never know when or where your going to need a gun :lmao: I keep a clip of HP in my .45 but that would be the last stand gun. The shotgun beside my bed has a folding stock, heat shield, short barrel, and a tactical light on the side of it. :yay:

...is a burglar supposed to work in such a hostile environment?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

AK-74me said:
While true that typical HD shotgun loads don't penetrate as well as some of the other mentioned calibers it still penetrates pleanty to cause concerns for over penetration in HD situations.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

...I've never tested how many sheets of drywall #8 will go through. Probably more than I think. Still, I do know a .45 fmj will go through SEVERAL sheets of plywood!