First time buyer

Blondie76

Since I'm a first time home buyer I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on programs for first time buyers. Any advice you could give would also be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Christy

b*tch rocket
I would recommend using North American Mortgage up in Waldorf. They really hooked us up and gave loads of different options.

I've heard disaster stories when it comes to "closing", but ours went off without a hitch. I've had other friends use them and have had the same experience.

Also, get pre-qualified before even looking.

Blondie76

I'm going through another mortgage company that my mom and grandparents used. I just got the papers yesterday to fill out so I will be doing that this weekend. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. :ohwell:

Ponytail

I bought my first house about 6 months ago. I used CountryWide Home Loans in Lusby. The dude invited me back to his house on a Saturday to go over the paperwork with me and go over the various loans available. He was VERY patient with me...I had ALOT of questions. And I was very happy and never felt pressured or like I was screwed at any time.

Look into the 80-20 "paperless" loan. That's what I did. VERY easy, and you save BIG $$$ especially if you are looking at the possibility of having to get either a VA loan, or an FHA.

Ray Gagner
Countrywide Home Loans
301-645-2187

HTH

And good luck with it. It's an experience.

After you choose a Mortgage company, it's time to find a realtor.
I really liked my realtor as well. Let me know if you want his info too.

Blondie76

Thanks Christy and PT.

PT - The guy I'm using for the loan seems pretty nice and my mom and grandma never complained so I think I will be ok there. My friend got her real estate license not too long ago so she is helping me out (I think I'm her first client).

I've never heard of an 80-20 paperless loan. I'm gonna look into every option possible.

ceo_pte

We used DeHannas

We used them as our realtor and their in house mortgage company. I am pretty sure it's a division of First National Mortgage. It was great. Our closing was like 20 days from the time we ratified the contract. Which is pretty fast, but they had all the proper documentation. I was a little worried about the closing costs being jacked-up at the table, but I actually got like $800 back at closing. The mortgage company used Foote Title in Waldorf, which was the only drawback. They processed all the paperwork very well and it was quick, but we had to wait like 1 1/2 hours. They were running late and it's kind of irritating when you are paying them for their services. But that's about it. I have the contact information if you would like to call them for a rate quote. They beat everyone else that I was talking to.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE CHAPMAN, BOWLING & SCOTT for ANYTHING!!!!!!! They handled our settlement when we bought March of '02. They were so bad, that their incompetence almost screwed up my refinancing this past summer!

ceo_pte

Most realtors will not take you out if you are not pre-qualified or pre-approved... This time our's did, but I've had others that really didn't want to. Also, if you are using a realtor try to get out of signing any agreement (exclusive) with them. We had a bad experience with one guy and were kind of stuck b/c we had signed an exclusive agreement w/ him. Sometimes they will slip it in on you when you are making the original offer. I would just tell them that you'll go find another realtor or that you will use the seller's realtor. But you gotta move fast in Waldorf, b/c the good houses will not last long.

Blondie76

Originally posted by ceo_pte
Most realtors will not take you out if you are not pre-qualified or pre-approved... This time our's did, but I've had others that really didn't want to. Also, if you are using a realtor try to get out of signing any agreement (exclusive) with them. We had a bad experience with one guy and were kind of stuck b/c we had signed an exclusive agreement w/ him. Sometimes they will slip it in on you when you are making the original offer. I would just tell them that you'll go find another realtor or that you will use the seller's realtor. But you gotta move fast in Waldorf, b/c the good houses will not last long.

Since my realtor is my friend I don't think she is going to make me sign anything. And she won't push anything on me, which is good. There are slim pickings in Waldorf right now. I'm more than likely going for a townhouse, hopefully an end unit. I figure it's my first home don't need a big house or anything.

ceo_pte

Originally posted by Blondie76
Since my realtor is my friend I don't think she is going to make me sign anything. And she won't push anything on me, which is good. There are slim pickings in Waldorf right now. I'm more than likely going for a townhouse, hopefully an end unit. I figure it's my first home don't need a big house or anything.

Good!
You are right! To me it's more important not to be house poor...

Blondie76

Good!
You are right! To me it's more important not to be house poor...

Definately, so I'm hoping I can find something in a decent neighborhood, for a decent price. (That's not going so well). Does anyone live in St. Mary's or Calvert Co. and work over in DC or VA? What is the drive like? Is it worth it?

ceo_pte

Originally posted by DoWhat
And what would be your definition of "House poor"?

UMMMM... You buy too much house (i.e. your mortgage is high), trying to impress someone you don't know, then you and your wife (if you have one) are always stressed over money, you can't afford to furnish the house b/c you can barely make your mortgage payment, then you are both unhappy and it doesn't matter how nice the house looks on the outside, it stinks on the inside...

Blondie76

UMMMM... You buy too much house (i.e. your mortgage is high), trying to impress someone you don't know, then you and your wife (if you have one) are always stressed over money, you can't afford to furnish the house b/c you can barely make your mortgage payment, then you are both unhappy and it doesn't matter how nice the house looks on the outside, it stinks on the inside...

...and you have to live off mac-&-cheese. I'm not a huge fan of mac-&-cheese. :biggrin:

ceo_pte

Originally posted by Blondie76
...and you have to live off mac-&-cheese. I'm not a huge fan of mac-&-cheese. :biggrin:

Mac & cheese... how about PB & J... That's all given you don't fall unemployed... Then you'd be selling that home... It's very serious though... I see so many of my friends & family make foolish mistakes, just to impress someone else. If you have been blessed and have enough money to go for that big house, GET IT! I'm not happy with the one I have, but at the right time I will take care of that...

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I always assumed “House Poor” meant putting down an excessive down payment. Then when you need money for something (car, kids braces, …) you have to borrow money from the equity from the house and pay interest to somebody else.

ceo_pte

HMMMMM

Originally posted by DoWhat
I always assumed “House Poor” meant putting down an excessive down payment. Then when you need money for something (car, kids braces, …) you have to borrow money from the equity from the house and pay interest to somebody else.

Well I guess it depends on who tells you then... I don't know if what I said was right or not, just what i've always been told.

But if you put alot of money down, your monthly payments go down, (in our case $1000 of mortgage = $6-7/month mortgage). But I somewhat agree with you that you can go too far in that direction too. I always say, CASH IS KING!!!