Flags Across Ridge

3CATSAILOR

@my-thyme Before we got all of the flags hung, these 2 flags had already been removed. We went to the homeowner to ask what the issue was, stating that we had permission from the utility companies to put the flags on the poles. He stated that he could not be associated with American flags on his property, something to the effect that he had problems with America right now. A couple of times he mentioned gay pride flags but not sure what his point was, unless he was trying to say that we would have a problem with gay pride flags like he has a problem with the American flag. The person with me nor myself never indicated we had any issue with other flags, just that we were trying to make Ridge feel like a small town with patriotism and that we were not making a political statement with these flags, keeping it neutral by only hanging the American flag. The heck of it is his wife came out to speak to us while we were putting up the flags in front of their house and she never indicated her objection to them.

Oh well I guess you can't please everyone, but it is obvious that the only flags missing are the 2 in front of his house. A couple of people sent texts to me Monday evening asking about these 2 poles without flags. We did get our flags back from him and will be placing them elsewhere.
From a legal standpoint, it sounds like a wonderfully interesting case. You have permission from the owner of the pole. You are hanging it from the pole. A nearby property owner objected because of whatever reason they may have, if any. You are hanging it from the pole. Not sticking it in the ground on his property. Other than the pole, I assume at no other location was it placed on his property. If the "pole" was placed on his property, it was likely with permission. Or, the Right of Way extends out from the road that far and therefore permission is not required so long as the pole is within the right of way if this is applicable. Assuming the pole has a legal presence, therefore by "extension" pardon the pun, I suspect the flag would be legal.

MD Transp Code § 8-606 (2013)
§8-606. (a) Each State highway constructed or maintained under this title shall have a right-of-way that is at least 40 feet wide.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
From a legal standpoint, it sounds like a wonderfully interesting case. You have permission from the owner of the pole. You are hanging it from the pole. A nearby property owner objected because of whatever reason they may have, if any. You are hanging it from the pole. Not sticking it in the ground on his property. Other than the pole, I assume at no other location was it placed on his property. If the "pole" was placed on his property, it was likely with permission. Or, the Right of Way extends out from the road that far and therefore permission is not required so long as the pole is within the right of way if this is applicable. Assuming the pole has a legal presence, therefore by "extension" pardon the pun, I suspect the flag would be legal.

MD Transp Code § 8-606 (2013)
§8-606. (a) Each State highway constructed or maintained under this title shall have a right-of-way that is at least 40 feet wide.
A right of way doesn't mean that the owner has given up rights to that property, only that it can be used for a specific purpose. What if someone gets permission to put up Mexican flags to make all of the weekenders feel welcome in Ridge?

3CATSAILOR

A right of way doesn't mean that the owner has given up rights to that property, only that it can be used for a specific purpose. What if someone gets permission to put up Mexican flags to make all of the weekenders feel welcome in Ridge?
You are correct if it is a Right of Way. However, if it is State property within the 40 feet, it is a different story.

3CATSAILOR

If it is State property within the 40 feet, why would there be a need for a Right of Way?
There wouldn't be. However, various records are recorded improperly more times than you think. In this case the "Right of Way", may be refering to the 40 feet the SHA has access to. It would be interesting to see if the 40 feet out from the road is documented as State property or simply a Right of Way as independent with no particular ownership. If I had to guess, I suspect it would be State property as per the State law previously mentioned.

A couple weeks ago I came up with another one of my crazy ideas - I wanted to put an American flag on every utility pole from the intersection in Ridge down to the hardware store - 40 flags total. I wanted them to hang from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. I went to the American Legion to see if they would help in this endeavor. I said I would put up $500. They agreed to match. A forum member here threw in $100 towards the cause. The Legion Ladies Auxiliary said they would make up the difference. One of the guys at the bar said he had a bucket truck that he would provide to hang the flags. Others at the bar thought it was a great idea and immediately started getting on the phone to make calls to SMECO and Verizon to get permission to put flags on their poles. Within a week we had all the permissions and the monies we needed. My daughter ordered the flags and and the solar lights to go on top of the flag poles. My employees at the store assembled all of the flags and lights. Today it all came together and we got the flags hung! My thanks to Bay Forrest Tree Service for his use of the bucket truck, to the Legion, Auxiliary, and forum member for donation of cash to help with costs, to my employees who prepared all of the flags, and to a local community member who helped me put the flags up today. I think Ridge looks like a nice small town you would be proud to live in or do business in!

I will have a full video on my Youtube channel in the next week or so. In the mean time here is a short clip.

View attachment 164303
View attachment 164304

This reminds me of a scene from the 1990 movie Green Card. Simply put, an American woman assists a Frenchman to stay in the United States. They are vastly different persons. She comes from a background of education, refined sensibilities and money. His background is poverty.

At one point the woman brags that she and her friends are going to plant 20 beautiful trees in a slum area of the city. She does not get the expected reaction of admiration from Georges. He says, "Well, fine, if it makes you happy, do it" She becomes angry. He shrugs and says, "I grew up in a slum. I didn't need a tree, I needed enough to eat"

Is there anyone in Maryland who isn't already aware that they live in the United States? Is this reminder of any real value?

Perhaps the flag only connotes good things to you. Therein lies the potential problem.

Patriotism can, and often does, slip over the line into jingoism. Patriotism is often used by demagogues to manipulate sincere, but simple-minded persons. Nationalism often leads to horrific crimes and outright war.

Let me offer an illustration.

Suppose a politician makes a speech, loudly bragging: "American apples are the BEST IN THE WORLD! They only have ONE worm per bite in them!"

The crowd breaks out into a cheer of "USA! USA! USA!"

Someone stands up and asks, "Why can't the apples have ZERO worms per bite in them?", and this person gets derided and attacked by the crowd.

Being "the best" is absolutely not synonymous with being "good".

No, I'm not saying you can't like America because it isn't perfect, I'm saying that displays of flags such as yours strongly imply a blind mindset. It's like insisting on wearing the team shirt of your favorite sports team after they got caught cheating; it's delusional.

The American flag has, factually, flown over some evil, cowardly, venal and shameful events. Maybe less pride, and more humility?

Many years ago I was in Prince Frederick with a friend, shopping for groceries.

President Obama was on the cover of a magazine on the checkout rack, and she made a disgusted noise. She said, "He went to other countries and said bad things about America!" in an outraged tone of voice.

I replied, "Well, you DO know that America has done bad things, don't you?" She got a sullen look and refused to answer.

I was not aware of what she was referring to, but checked. Yeah, Obama did a world tour, and made many speeches, apologizing for bad things America had done, while ALSO pointing out horrible things that those countries had done and were still doing. The message was not, "America is evil", it was, "Let's ALL quit being jerks".

But of course, my friend, once her emotions had been aroused, didn't want to hear facts.

For the record, I didn't vote for Obama. I disagreed with many of his policies. That's irrelevant.

"The good" is objective, not nationalist, not partisan.

George Washington was not a British Patriot, he was a rebel, a traitor and a domestic terrorist.

When things are bad, it's important to be free to say they are bad, and these flags are nothing but an attempt to silence dissent,
an attempt at intimidation, as I view them.

Maybe next time, put up something actually useful, such as bluebird boxes.

TPD

the poor dad
Maybe next time, put up something actually useful, such as bluebird boxes.
My friend already did that - probably has at least 20 up and down Rt 5 in Scotland & Ridge. So I figured USA flags went good with bluebirds. Guess I was wrong.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope

IMG_4530.PNG

Last edited:

3CATSAILOR

My friend already did that - probably has at least 20 up and down Rt 5 in Scotland & Ridge. So I figured USA flags went good with bluebirds. Guess I was wrong.
Now you need boxes to attract Cardinals. Then you have to attract an Albino Kingfisher for the red white and blue colors.

TPD

the poor dad
So did they change their minds or something? It looks like they're on both sides of the road now.
The flags are just on Verizon poles. I’ve been in contact with SMECO this week to get permission from them. I think I will get the ok but not sure it will happen for this year. Call or write to SMECO to voice your support.

NOTSMC

The flags are just on Verizon poles. I’ve been in contact with SMECO this week to get permission from them. I think I will get the ok but not sure it will happen for this year. Call or write to SMECO to voice your support.
Just curious. If they are Verizon poles why do you have to get SMECO permission? Or was it Verizon last time and I just don't remember correctly?

TPD

the poor dad
Just curious. If they are Verizon poles why do you have to get SMECO permission? Or was it Verizon last time and I just don't remember correctly?
I have permission from Verizon to put flags on their poles. I don’t yet have permission to put flags on SMECO poles, hence there are only flags on half of the utility poles this year.

NOTSMC

I have permission from Verizon to put flags on their poles. I don’t yet have permission to put flags on SMECO poles, hence there are only flags on half of the utility poles this year.
Oh so the flags that are up now are all Verizon then. Looks like they are more flags up than last year for some reason. Could be because I seldom go to Ridge anymore, first trip that way in weeks and the damn Dollar General store was closed at 5:00.

TPD

the poor dad
Oh so the flags that are up now are all Verizon then. Looks like they are more flags up than last year for some reason. Could be because I seldom go to Ridge anymore, first trip that way in weeks and the damn Dollar General store was closed at 5:00.
Yeah only 20 flags up instead of 40.
DG has been intermittently closing early because they are short staffed. Poor management.