Flat paint in the bathroom

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
mainman said:
Bluetape, you can do this pix, still be careful because paint will get behind that tape....

I should let you know that I suck at painting. I don't have the patience to paint much of anything except my nails. Clear would be easy peasy.... This is all making me sad. :bawl:

fddog

Bow wow
pixiegirl said:
I should let you know that I suck at painting. I don't have the patience to paint much of anything except my nails. Clear would be easy peasy.... This is all making me sad. :bawl:
you could have a painting party :yay:

mainman

Set Trippin
pixiegirl said:
Who do I look like Sleuth? :buttkick: I'm too much a control freak to trust other people to paint my house; especially my friends. :lmao:
But we could come in and paint with mops....So we won't miss any spots...:whistle:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
pixiegirl said:

I would try the Satin Clear coat. Just get a small pint of it and do a small spot and see if it works ok and doesnt bleed.

To explain if Im correct. She has a nicely painted bathroom in flat paint. But since its flat it gets stained easily and since its flat it cannot be cleaned easily so her choices at this point is to put a Clear satin finish over the painting so to be able to clean it up easily or to tile up to a certain point on the wall to help with little grubby hands.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
I'd just go with the clear to see how that works. If it ends up yellowing in a few years, you can always muster up the nerve to make a project out of repainting it. :shrug:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
FastCarsSpeed said:
I would try the Satin Clear coat. Just get a small pint of it and do a small spot and see if it works ok and doesnt bleed.

To explain if Im correct. She has a nicely painted bathroom in flat paint. But since its flat it gets stained easily and since its flat it cannot be cleaned easily so her choices at this point is to put a Clear satin finish over the painting so to be able to clean it up easily or to tile up to a certain point on the wall to help with little grubby hands.

:yay: I can do the clear coat, tile or redo the whole thing. I'm going for the path of least resistance! :lmao:

Jameo

What?!
fddog said:
i couldn't remember the name of the material it is made of, but they have a thin board type of material safe for bathrooms, you can adhere it to the wall and grout and tile on the board. :yay:

Green board maybe :shrug:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
pixiegirl said:
My kids bathroom was painted already when we bought our house. Luckily for me it was done in blue/green with a fish boarder and just so happened to go really well with the fish shower curtain I already had for them. Unfortunately, it was painted with flat paint. I bought ceramic tiles and was going to tile up the walls to about 3 1/2 feet. A lot of work and I've never done anything like that before. Is there some kind of sealer or protectant that I can "paint" on over top of the existing paint to protect it rather then trying to tile the walls and possibly make a huge mess?
My guess is that because it's matte, you're worried about the walls, no? I painted the downstairs bathroom a matte seafoam gray. It didn't matter that it was matte because the bathroom doesn't get a lot of use, children won't be scribbling on it, I don't have to worry about furniture marks, etc. Now, had it been any other room in the house, I would have gone w/at least a semi. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I could never figure out the purpose of flat paint anyway. Where would you use this? I repainted everything in Satin and Semi-gloss because the flat paint is a magnet for fingerprints and smudges.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
I could never figure out the purpose of flat paint anyway. Where would you use this? I repainted everything in Satin and Semi-gloss because the flat paint is a magnet for fingerprints and smudges.
The builders painted all the walls in our house with a flat paint. :banghead: It's a real pretty color, but gets smudges on it very easily. We repainted both bathrooms and 2 of the bedrooms with satin (different colors), I dread having to do the rest of the house. :ohwell:

mainman

Set Trippin
vraiblonde said:
Ceilings and low traffic areas..............and for walls that are banged up, flat hides imperfections...:yay:

Pandora

Nickel said:
The builders painted all the walls in our house with a flat paint. :banghead: It's a real pretty color, but gets smudges on it very easily. We repainted both bathrooms and 2 of the bedrooms with satin (different colors), I dread having to do the rest of the house. :ohwell:

Satin :yay:

It isn't a shinny as semi-gloss, doesn't show flaws, but it does give you the ability to wipe it down when needed.

I have even used Satin on ceilings.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:

I was so pleased with the apperance of the house that I was beside myself. I'm finding out that #1 these people were cheap and #2 they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

My first project was G's bedroom. Take down the existing wallpaper and border and paint. They used vinyl wallpaper and must have used extra glue/paste. It took me an entire day to get it all down. Once down and looking at the walls... Ugh there are a million coats of paint on them and they are fairy lumpy from old patches and such. Wallpaper was the easy way around fixing these problems.

I sent Brent in to do the kids bathroom floor which always smelled musty to me and the linoleum was old and ugly and cut poorly around the bottom of the pot. He gets to taking up the linoleum only to find that underneath it is a piece of plywood that was completely soaked around the base of the pot. There's my musty smell. The plywood was nailed ontop of the original hardwood. :faint:

We got an HMS warranty and I need to look through the paperwork to see if this is covered.

Our bathroom is also done in flat paint so that is next after G's room.

N's bedroom has 2 walls of painted panneling. I suspect there's drywall underneath that's in bad shape.

I got my fixer upper I suppose.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
I was so pleased with the apperance of the house that I was beside myself. I'm finding out that #1 these people were cheap and #2 they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

My first project was G's bedroom. Take down the existing wallpaper and border and paint. They used vinyl wallpaper and must have used extra glue/paste. It took me an entire day to get it all down. Once down and looking at the walls... Ugh there are a million coats of paint on them and they are fairy lumpy from old patches and such. Wallpaper was the easy way around fixing these problems.

I sent Brent in to do the kids bathroom floor which always smelled musty to me and the linoleum was old and ugly and cut poorly around the bottom of the pot. He gets to taking up the linoleum only to find that underneath it is a piece of plywood that was completely soaked around the base of the pot. There's my musty smell. The plywood was nailed ontop of the original hardwood. :faint:

We got an HMS warranty and I need to look through the paperwork to see if this is covered.

Our bathroom is also done in flat paint so that is next after G's room.

N's bedroom has 2 walls of painted panneling. I suspect there's drywall underneath that's in bad shape.

I got my fixer upper I suppose.
You should just move again.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
What the hell - paint's cheap and easy. :shrug: I'd rather paint than knock out walls, that's for sure :lol:

Did ya not see the part about the bathroom floor?

Resurfacing G's walls is going to take a lot of work as well.

It's not "major" work but there's a good amount of it and it's going to take a lot of time and effort on our part.

We have a great room and the kitchen portion of the floor is raised about 1/2 inch above the living and dining room floors and trimed. I thought this was done for "effect" since it has tile and the rest is hardwood. After taking up the floor in the bathroom I'd bet that under the tile is the same plywood nailed to the original hardwood.

Pandora

DoWhat said:
You should just move again.

She is the only forum member that I know that has lived in every county in the tri-county area. There was Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert.

:lmao: