Flood Warnings/Watches

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
1.94” of rain in Dameron. No tidal flooding that I can see from my house. Could be a different story in Scotland.
Tide only got to 3.54'...that's a regular ocurrence and a minor nuisance, covering some stretches of the road a few inches deep. We use our pier and the lower yard area as a visual "tide gauge"...at 3.0' the water is dead level with the pier deck and just starting to cover the lowest parts of the yard.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My place in Callaway has a stream (Little John's Run) at the bottom that runs under the road. Big rains and local flooding sometimes wash the road out. Good thing SIL has a tractor and bucket for repairs. (There is a gravel pit on the north end of the property).
There are two distinctly different types/causes of flooding in SOMD. On St. Georges Island, we are only affected by tidal flooding (and fairly often too). Much of the rest of the county is only/mostly affected by flooding caused by heavy rains. Even the heaviest of rain storms has virtually no impact on our island...a couple temporary "ponds" created by a failing drain system excepted.

That's exactly why St. George's is often singled out for coastal tidal flood warnings (we even have our very own dedicated tide prediction station put in by NWS). And its why why the islanders can/do ignore the flood warnings that accompany heavy rains.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
(we even have our very own dedicated tide prediction station put in by NWS).
weather.jpg

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Like? Sure. Love? Uhhhhhh.......
The word love is thrown around far too much. And its gotten me in trouble before.

Back when i went to church, the pastor was always preaching about Love Thy Neighbor, but when I did, her husband got mad and chased me from the house.

TPD

the poor dad
My sarcastic comment was lost on all of you! What is the biggest news story this week - Submarine? Survive? Some days you guys are just too damn serious.... :kicksrocks:

On a non-sarcastic note - .53" of much needed AND APPRECIATED rain here in downtown Dameron!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My sarcastic comment was lost on all of you! What is the biggest news story this week - Submarine? Survive? Some days you guys are just too damn serious.... :kicksrocks:

On a non-sarcastic note - .53" of much needed AND APPRECIATED rain here in downtown Dameron!
We got it. Reverse sarcasm.

NextJen

Raisin cane
How high's the water, Momma?
It's starting to rise for sure. Still about 3 1/2 hours from high tide.
Going to need my knee high boots.