Florida Welfare Drug Testing

SD1492

This is a great idea. I know several people that need these types of services and every single one of them do not use drugs. Some smoke and some drink (not heavy, a beer here and there). But none of them use drugs. I saw this a few days ago and talked asked there opinions and believe it or not NONE of them said it was a bad idea. All of them work full time but do to this economy they're all having problems. They don't like getting the help, but they understand that they need it and if some people abuse a good thing for too long it will be removed for all, and that is not fair to those that truly need it and don't abuse it.
JMO...

Midnight

Imaginary
1 state down..49 to go.. We can only hope the rest of the country will follow! And for those that are saying its unconstitutional save it.. I have to test for my job and so does my husband. If you are not a crack momma you should have no problem taking the test.. JMO!

This is a great idea. I know several people that need these types of services and every single one of them do not use drugs. Some smoke and some drink (not heavy, a beer here and there). But none of them use drugs. I saw this a few days ago and talked asked there opinions and believe it or not NONE of them said it was a bad idea. All of them work full time but do to this economy they're all having problems. They don't like getting the help, but they understand that they need it and if some people abuse a good thing for too long it will be removed for all, and that is not fair to those that truly need it and don't abuse it.
JMO...

I completely agree. I don't understand why people are saying he's stereotyping. I want to look further into the conflict of interest allegations but as far as the naked idea goes i don't see a problem with it. A lot of people do though!

alex

I really like this law. However, my main concern is if they can't get the $$ for drugs from welfare then crime is going to go up.

Vince

1 state down..49 to go.. We can only hope the rest of the country will follow! And for those that are saying its unconstitutional save it.. I have to test for my job and so does my husband. If you are not a crack momma you should have no problem taking the test.. JMO!
:yay: Great idea! Should have been done a long time ago.

puggymom

This was someone's I know FB status. I did not repost (sorry I usually do not unless it is a zombie apocalypse or other humorous one but I do agree.
Florida is the first state that is now going to require drug testing for welfare! Some people are crying this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional but it's completely legal that every other working person had to pass a drug test in order to support those on welfare? Re-post if you agree!!! Let's get Welfare back to the one's who NEED it, not those that just WANT it!

Midnight

Imaginary
I really like this law. However, my main concern is if they can't get the $$ for drugs from welfare then crime is going to go up.

This is why i'm trying to track down more info on the consequences of failing one of these mandated drug tests. I feel like if they are charged with something then it may reduce crime levels. Although...i doubt that people who know they will fail will even bother trying to qualify.

Vince

They start committing crimes to get money for drugs, they get shot by police and go to the morgue. Either way, problem solved.

Or they could get help. :shocked: What a novel idea. Get help and get off the drugs and be a productive member of society and not need welfare.

Midnight

Imaginary
They start committing crimes to get money for drugs, they get shot by police and go to the morgue. Either way, problem solved.

Or they could get help. :shocked: What a novel idea. Get help and get off the drugs and be a productive member of society and not need welfare.

Maaaaybe if they fail the drug test they can still be considered if they go through rehab or something? Maybe that would give them incentive to get clean?

Last edited:

Mongo53

Off hand, I can't see a legitimate argument about it violating privacy, I could be wrong and worry enough to consider the arguments.

Pee in a cup before you get your free money and food stamps, really is NOT that unreasonable.

But, can you imagine how much food stamps you could get for clean urine? A whole cottage industry will crop up to provide services for those looking to beat the test and still get their benefits.

Look at ACORN, don't tell me people won't try to help people get around this, and their won't be people willing to turn a blind eye and let them get away with it. There won't be ACLU lawyers that won't sue and get policies changed so that its a joke of a program, you just have to have you kids pee in a bottle before you collect your welfare check, and hand over the bottle to get the check. Any other system with more rigor and observation to prevent cheating will be struck down as an undue burden and a violation of privacy and a person's right to basic human dignity. The ACLU will argue its positiviley NAZI like to force someone to pee in front of another person to make sure they are NOT giving them someone else's urine they snuck into the test.
Only if the prison population stays the same.

I'm NOT a fan of paying people so they won't commit crimes against me, isn't that the same as extortion?

I'm no fan of big prison population either, but if you commit the crime, you need to do the time. The problem isn't that we have big prison populations, the problem is we have a social policies that create population centers that breed crime and live off others people money. If we hadn't pursued those short sighted and bad policies and continued them for years, we wouldn't be faced with the choose between having big prison populations to combat it or just ignore it and congradulate ourselves in smaller prison populations as more crime goes on that we just ignore.

Last edited:

Midnight

Imaginary
Find out about the awesome loophole in this law then post how you feel.

What loophole? Other than the obvious risk of false samples.

I started a thread on this last week. Don't see the point in this if the person fails the test and can appoint someone else to get the money.

http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/228231-welfare-drug-testing.html

This is why i want to know what the consequences of a failed test are. I'm getting mixed answers. Also, even if they just get to it some other way, it's still taking a stand against people who unfortunately abuse and pervert a system that is in place to help the needy. The idea being planted is an important step, in my opinion.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What loophole? Other than the obvious risk of false samples.

This is why i want to know what the consequences of a failed test are. I'm getting mixed answers. Also, even if they just get to it some other way, it's still taking a stand against people who unfortunately abuse and pervert a system that is in place to help the needy. The idea being planted is an important step, in my opinion.

other family members can take the test to get bennies for the children if the bio parents fail.

Mongo53

other family members can take the test to get bennies for the children if the bio parents fail.
But the drug using parents still keep the children? Seems to me the guardian of the children, and the children live with the guardian, has to pass the test, they fail, time for a new guardian.

Yea, failing once for marijuana, maybe NOT lose your kids, but fail it habitually, that's a problem.