Food, Inc. - warning may ruin your dinner!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've never seen a cow eat another animal on it's own.

Maybe you just don't know the right cows.

On that note, mmmmm! I just had the most delicious steak. Medium rare. I don't know if it's the animal byproduct or the HGH or what, but my! that was a tasty cow! :yum:

Shawn

the agencies that handle food and pharmaceuitical drugs in the U.S. are among the worst and most corrupt agencies that there are or ever have been

itsbob

I bowl overhand
My take on the movie is that it wasn't so much about how the actual food was grown, but more about how the same large corporations are controlling everything. We can thank McDonald's for controlling the way beef, pork, potatoes, and several other things are grown. The head of the FDA was the CEO of one of the largest food corporations. Many of the politicians in the USDA or FDA were in big with food corporations.

It's perfectly legal in this country to "clean" meat filler with ammonia, and many slaughter houses that are repeat offenders for unsanitary conditions are immune to any repercussions, yet it's illegal for a perfectly clean dairy to sell raw milk in many states. What's wrong with this picture?

The grain industry (corn, soybeans, what) is SO subsidized that it is more affordable for the average American to eat food that is horrible for you than it is to eat healthy food. Why are we saving money on the food we eat only to pay more costs to doctors to keep us healthy?

The movie wasn't so much made to make everyone afraid to eat, it was made to make people aware of the food industry and how it's controlled. I never felt like it demonized the American farmer. I actually think it did the opposite. Farmers are just trying to make money, but they're pretty much controlled by the huge corporations that dictate their business.

Interesting.. I thought the Mormon church owned one of, if not the biggest cattle ranches (beef) and grain, wheat, barley and corn farms and storage facilities..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've seen a cow eat a chicken :shrug:

How often do you go to KFC at Lunch Time??

I find it really HOT when they get the chicken grease all the way up to their elbows, and dripping off of the chins.. and going in for the next bite when their mouth is still full of Mashed Potatos and Gravy..

:sexyhot:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Has anyone read "In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan? I've been trying to get my hands on them but they're always checked out at the library.

I haven't seen Food Inc yet because I'm afraid there will be some images that will scar me for life. :lol: I can't even watch Gordon Ramsay's The F Word (and I LOVE Gordon) because every time I turn it on he's slaughtering a pig or something. :roflmao:

Cowgirl

Has anyone read "In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan? I've been trying to get my hands on them but they're always checked out at the library.

I know!!! I've been on the wait list for O.D. for WEEKS and I'm still not up yet. :mad:

I haven't seen Food Inc yet because I'm afraid there will be some images that will scar me for life. :lol: I can't even watch Gordon Ramsay's The F Word (and I LOVE Gordon) because every time I turn it on he's slaughtering a pig or something. :roflmao:

I'm trying to remember, but I can't think of much that was too graphic. They do show some nasty beef filler that will make you never want to eat any fast food or pre-formed hamburger patties. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I know!!! I've been on the wait list for O.D. for WEEKS and I'm still not up yet. :mad:
I just noticed that Amazon has them for $7 and $8 so I might just buy them and pass them around the family when I'm done. For the past six months I've felt like making some major changes in the food I eat, but it seems a little daunting. I need a kick in the pants. :lol:
I'm trying to remember, but I can't think of much that was too graphic. They do show some nasty beef filler that will make you never want to eat any fast food or pre-formed hamburger patties. :lol:
Gross. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Okay, I watched it. Some of it I took with a grain of salt, but overall very informative. I really liked the farmer with suspenders :lol: - he and his family really seemed to enjoy what they were doing and it was paying off for them.

Cowgirl

Okay, I watched it. Some of it I took with a grain of salt, but overall very informative. I really liked the farmer with suspenders :lol: - he and his family really seemed to enjoy what they were doing and it was paying off for them.

Joel. Yeah, he's very enthusiastic. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I saw a special on Discovery where they were in a Perdue chicken factory. MASSIVE factory, clean rooms, seperations between rooms, and they were VERY careful about contamination from one room to another.

What got me the most was the UNENDING testing by lab workers that come through and swab work surfaces, carcasses, and people to look for e-coli and a multitude of other bacteria and contaminants. (Personally I think there is bigger chance of contamination from dirty humans than dirty poultry).

EVERY night they tear down all their equipment clean it, and re-inspect every piece before they put it back together for the morning shift.

Did Food Inc show any of that?
In regards to the chickens, the main issue they raised was the treatment of the birds before they got to the factory (they're raised in the dark and never see daylight) and the genetic engineering of the birds that are being raised for the major food corporations. And that doesn't bother some people, which is fine. To each his own.

Cowgirl

In regards to the chickens, the main issue they raised was the treatment of the birds before they got to the factory (they're raised in the dark and never see daylight) and the genetic engineering of the birds that are being raised for the major food corporations. And that doesn't bother some people, which is fine. To each his own.

I raised broilers last year, but I didn't raise nearly enough. I do buy chicken, but I hate that I have to. This summer I plan on raising enough to last until next summer.

I understand that chicken houses are probably necessary, but they're so disgusting. When you walk into them the stench almost knocks you over. :dead: Farmers have to wear respirators to do their daily walk-throughs. It's no wonder why chickens have to be fed antibiotics daily just so they can survive the 6-8 weeks before they're slaughtered.