Food trends

lovinmaryland

I've been thinking of trying it because I use coconut oil on my face anyways but haven't done it yet.

We've been using the coconut oil for dry skin and while it does moisturize it doesnt seem to make it stop being dry...if that makes sense.

MMDad

Lem Putt
It's supposed to remove the toxins from your body. There are all kinds of blogs/articles on it.

http://wellnessmama.com/17951/coconut-oil-pulling/

Remove toxins from your body by swishing oil in your mouth? How gullible are people??? Your body has a process to rid itself of toxins, and transporting them to your mouth to be swished away isn't part of it. You want to rid yourself of "toxins?" Drink a bunch of water and pee them out, then take a triple dose of laxative and get rid of the rest.

JeJeTe

Happiness
We've been using the coconut oil for dry skin and while it does moisturize it doesnt seem to make it stop being dry...if that makes sense.

It does. For some reason mine has been dry has heck too. Maybe double up lotions and this.

I keep saying I'm going to try it, too. Whichever one of us goes first, come back and report!

:lol: I just need to do it one day when I'm sitting around watching tv or doing my hair and make up.

Remove toxins from your body by swishing oil in your mouth? How gullible are people??? Your body has a process to rid itself of toxins, and transporting them to your mouth to be swished away isn't part of it. You want to rid yourself of "toxins?" Drink a bunch of water and pee them out, then take a triple dose of laxative and get rid of the rest.

:shrug: You can read the articles, try it out, etc. Why not give it a whirl? There are all kinds of things that would have never been figured out if someone didn't give it a try. I know some people who swear by it and I know some who it doesn't do anything for.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

It's fun granola hippie chit and doesn't hurt you, so why not?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I've started using grapeseed oil at night, along with rosehip oil. I really like both. Very hydrating and makes my skin feel great! The Good Earth Store in Leonardtown carries a bunch of oils.

MMDad

Lem Putt
:shrug: You can read the articles, try it out, etc. Why not give it a whirl? There are all kinds of things that would have never been figured out if someone didn't give it a try. I know some people who swear by it and I know some who it doesn't do anything for.

Because it makes absolutely zero sense. Your body just doesn't work that way. Even if oil could draw out toxins, there's no mechanism to transport them to the mouth to be drawn out. If anyone claims to feel any benefit of this at all it can only be a placebo effect.

JeJeTe

Happiness
I've started using grapeseed oil at night, along with rosehip oil. I really like both. Very hydrating and makes my skin feel great! The Good Earth Store in Leonardtown carries a bunch of oils.

I need to research these more as to what oil does what.

Because it makes absolutely zero sense. Your body just doesn't work that way. Even if oil could draw out toxins, there's no mechanism to transport them to the mouth to be drawn out. If anyone claims to feel any benefit of this at all it can only be a placebo effect.

Well if that's how you feel about it, then that's how you feel. :yay:

Thank you for typing what I've been wanted to type all afternoon but didn't think it would make a difference... :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Your body just doesn't work that way. Even if oil could draw out toxins, there's no mechanism to transport them to the mouth to be drawn out.
While you sleep, bacteria from your stomach travels to your mouth. Oil pulling is supposed to removed the bad stuff while boosting your immune system. I've never tried it so I can't say if it works or not. However, coconut oil is very much good for your skin and hair so I don't see how it can be harmful.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Thank you for typing what I've been wanted to type all afternoon but didn't think it would make a difference... :lol:

Well it appears that I did not make a difference, so you were right. It amazes me what people fall for.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well it appears that I did not make a difference, so you were right. It amazes me what people fall for.

You say "fall for" but none of us have tried it yet to fall for anything. :lol: That's why we try things - to see if they're all that or a waste of time.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You say "fall for" but none of us have tried it yet to fall for anything. :lol: That's why we try things - to see if they're all that or a waste of time.

Falling for something is believing it. It's pretty obvious that some think that this makes enough sense to try, so they fell for it. Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
While you sleep, bacteria from your stomach travels to your mouth. Oil pulling is supposed to removed the bad stuff while boosting your immune system. I've never tried it so I can't say if it works or not. However, coconut oil is very much good for your skin and hair so I don't see how it can be harmful.

I've been using that line for years "But, baby, it's good for your skin! And, even if it's not, what harm, could it do? Why risk NOT having those benefits?"

"Oh, well, in that case..."

:diva:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Falling for something is believing it. It's pretty obvious that some think that this makes enough sense to try, so they fell for it. Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

I'ma go do it right now just to make you mad. :razz:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And I just found this from WebMD, which I consider a legitimate site for medical information:

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/oil-pulling

Unlike some so-called natural home remedies, it's not a practice that's based on pseudo-science. Recent studies show that oil pulling helps against gingivitis, plaque, and microorganisms that cause bad breath. How? "Most microorganisms inhabiting the mouth consist of a single cell," Emery says. "Cells are covered with a lipid, or fatty, membrane, which is the cell's skin. When these cells come into contact with oil, a fat, they naturally adhere to each other."