Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Are you against this

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I don't like the idea of killing any domesticated animal and reducing it's chance for being found or adopted.

That being said, California has financial troubles. Hard decisions and cuts need to be made, and this is certainly one that will impact the fewest people but save a lot of money.

Maybe after they get their budget under control, they can extend the time again.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by cattitude
Tell me, Dems. are all your pets spayed or neutered?

Lucky One's down the street does this cheap and I've even caught the strays and toms around my house and had them spayed -- I have no interest in spaying the chickens and I have three nanny goats... no need to spay them either.

Are ALL your pets spayed and neutered?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
Lucky One's down the street does this cheap and I've even caught the strays and toms around my house and had them spayed -- I have no interest in spaying the chickens and I have three nanny goats... no need to spay them either.

Are ALL your pets spayed and neutered?

Yes. Mine are with the exception of the newest one. I was referring to your ad on the classifeds here about a month ago giving away long-haired kittens.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by cattitude
Yes. Mine are with the exception of the newest one. I was referring to your ad on the classifeds giving away long-haired kittens.

those have been gone .. the mothers had to wait until the kittens were gone so they wouldn't tear up their stitches nursing ... I took care of this... tyvm. :smile:

SamSpade

Hunt deer, because without predators to keep the population down, many will starve due to overpopulation. Kill cows, chickens and pigs, so we can have burgers, wings and bacon.

But let cats and dogs breed indefinitely and use tax dollars to keep them alive for several months (even though most of them get euthanized ANYWAY) because they're cute and fuzzy.

I feel bad that this happens. But the people to blame are not the bureacrats, and not the humane shelter owners. The ones to blame are the people NOT neutering their animals, and the ones abandoning them.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by SamSpade
Hunt deer, because without predators to keep the population down, many will starve due to overpopulation. Kill cows, chickens and pigs, so we can have burgers, wings and bacon.

But let cats and dogs breed indefinitely and use tax dollars to keep them alive for several months (even though most of them get euthanized ANYWAY) because they're cute and fuzzy.

I feel bad that this happens. But the people to blame are not the bureacrats, and not the humane shelter owners. The ones to blame are the people NOT neutering their animals, and the ones abandoning them.

I dont know if I'd ever eat a dog or a cat as you would do with deer, swine, or cow meat.:shrug:

I thought the article said that they were moving the 6 day euthanization to 3 days and not several months.

K

Kizzy

Shelter workers can tell if an animal is feral or a pet. Just think, Milo gets out and they have a fat Jack Russell sitting in a cage that has been neutered. They can just look at him and tell he is a pet, well taken care of, well feed, they should hold those animals. But if 3 days has passed and a person hasn't called all over God's creation for his/her pet, then they are not very caring owners.

The time Milo got out and was missing for several hours, I had already call the police, the shelters, etc. etc. Of course I had to call them back and let them know he just took a trip around the block.

CA is already financially strapped, they already pay high taxes there, so if I was a resident, I would be concerned that overcrowding and building more shelters, hiring more workers, was money best spent elsewhere. Believe me, I love animals. But maybe they outta encourage the population to get pets chipped.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by IM4Change
Shelter workers can tell if an animal is feral or a pet. Just think, Milo gets out and they have a fat Jack Russell sitting in a cage that has been neutered. They can just look at him and tell he is a pet, well taken care of, well feed, they should hold those animals. But if 3 days has passed and a person hasn't called all over God's creation for his/her pet, then they are not very caring owners.

The time Milo got out and was missing for several hours, I had already call the police, the shelters, etc. etc. Of course I had to call them back and let them know he just took a trip around the block.

CA is already financially strapped, they already pay high taxes there, so if I was a resident, I would be concerned that overcrowding and building more shelters, hiring more workers, was money best spent elsewhere. Believe me, I love animals. But maybe they outta encourage the population to get pets chipped.

Excellent input!!!! Thanks!!!:clap:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Originally posted by IM4Change

Getting pets chipped should be a requirement, just like rabies vaccines. Then when your animal gets away, they can contact you immediately, give a time frame to pick up your pet, and fine you if you don't pick it up in time, or at all.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by mAlice
Getting pets chipped should be a requirement, just like rabies vaccines. Then when your animal gets away, they can contact you immediately, give a time frame to pick up your pet, and fine you if you don't pick it up in time, or at all.

:clap: do you have pets?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by TIGGER6035
I agree. Those animals shouldn't die. It's not their falt they were born. The owners need to pay for it.:cussing:

Yep... I like the chip theory and the fine theory myself. :biggrin:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The guv...

...is addressing a problem.

If the shelters are backing up, that means, by definition, the animals are suffering. If animals are suffering, then something must be done. It is cruel to sit by.

Reducing to three days from six seems totally appropriate. You know in one day if your pet is gone. You're pet should not be gone anyway.

California is in the midst of a finacial recovery from serious disaster. Having all state agencies tighten up some is fair, reasonable and responsible.

Sorry Fi Fi. The guv'nor didn't call.