Fox hunting?

cmhurley1

i did a bit of looking through the regulations book, didn't really find what i was looking for so i'm hoping someone else can possibly fill me in. I dont have a pest problem concerning foxes, i simply want one for the pelt/meat and just to try something different.

the first question is a fairly obvious one,

1)is there even a legal season to hunt foxes in St. Mary's?
2)do i need a special license or permit? i only have the standard bow/muzzleloader/shotgun license.
3)what sort of firepower is allowed? i'd prefer the 22. myself

at the moment this is all i can think of, any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s for the sake of you not having to type up some long thing explaining this, just the page number(s) would be good enough, thanks again!

cmhurley1

cool so it sounds like as long as long as i have the fur bearer permit and am not having dogs chase the fox, i should be ok, i'll do a bit more reading into it. i tried to load the firearm/bow regulation page to see what i am permitted to use, the page wouldn't load for me, do you know if a 22. is permitted?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
i did a bit of looking through the regulations book, didn't really find what i was looking for so i'm hoping someone else can possibly fill me in. I dont have a pest problem concerning foxes, i simply want one for the pelt/meat and just to try something different.

I can understand the desire for a pelt, lovely color and all. However, you don't want to eat it unless you're seriously in need. Fox is gonna be very rank eating. There is a reason you don't find fox recipes floating about.

I can understand the desire for a pelt, lovely color and all. However, you don't want to eat it unless you're seriously in need. Fox is gonna be very rank eating. There is a reason you don't find fox recipes floating about.
WRONG! Fox makes excellent BBQ.

JoeMac

I've got one or several that keep going back and forth in front of me as I sit in the deer stand. One of these days I am taking the .22 mag with me.

I have been hunting in the same area for 15 years and have never seen foxes until this year. Skunks too. I believe that is one reason why the ground nesting bird populations have plummeted. I see very few quail afield and I rarely hear a whippoorwill anymore.

Last edited: