Fresh Venison

bulldog

Maryland Deer Management Plan. Turn to page 62. Read bullet point #4. Or, do a search of the document for "crop damage permit" and read the 4th item found. It states:

Personally I found it on page 64, 6th bullet, but huntr1's point is the same nevertheless. Deer killed with a crop damage permit should be butchered and eaten. I don't care if you eat it, give it to a friend or hunters for the hungry, as long as it gets used. If you kill it and leave it lay, you are a major piece of ####.

Pushrod

Patriot
Unless the regs have changed in the past 10 years, the deer is to be left laying were it falls???? This was the rule 10 years ago, this I know for a sure fact, but, I can stand to be corrected, but, please show me where it states the deer can be "possessed".

If I ever saw some one kill a deer and then just leave it lay, I would knock the crap out of them! What a waste!

bulldog

If I ever saw some one kill a deer and then just leave it lay, I would knock the crap out of them! What a waste!

I have never personally seen it happen either, but I know (believe strongly) that it does happen. There are farmers out there with crop damage permits that have a hard time getting people to hunt for them on that permit and they have to reduce the damage somehow.
I'm guilty of being on a permit that I don't use that often. Lets face it, most crop damage hunting takes place outside of normal season dates and a lot of hard core hunters use those off season months to catch up on chores or make up lost time with family and friends. I normally only crop damage hunt when my wife is out of town and I have nothing better to do. It's hot out, hunting can be down right miserable and processing a deer after a kill is even worse.

RatchetJaw

OK, I did my research and contacted some personal friends in the "know" including a few buds from DNR. Long story short, several years ago, the deer was not be possessed under the crop damage permit.

I am both right, and to be corrected, the reg now allows the Farmer / Land Owner to check the deer in as a kill with the requirement of a check in number.

Basically the regs changed at about the same time electronic check in came to be. I know for a fact myself, due to personal experience, that you could not possess the deer on a crop damage permit.

So, with all that said a big cudos to DNR for finally stopping good meat to be wasted.

bulldog

OK, I did my research and contacted some personal friends in the "know" including a few buds from DNR. Long story short, several years ago, the deer was not be possessed under the crop damage permit.

I am both right, and to be corrected, the reg now allows the Farmer / Land Owner to check the deer in as a kill with the requirement of a check in number.

Basically the regs changed at about the same time electronic check in came to be. I know for a fact myself, due to personal experience, that you could not possess the deer on a crop damage permit.

So, with all that said a big cudos to DNR for finally stopping good meat to be wasted.

Since we're trying to get this straight, lets make sure it is. You say, "the reg now allows the Farmer / Land owner to check the deer in as a kill", but I am neither the farmer or the land owner. Most of them have a permit with many, many authorized hunters assigned to it. The one I'm on has over 80 hunters on 1 permit. Any one of those authorized hunters can kill a deer on the permit, call and check it in with the permit number, receive a confirmation number which is then given to the permit owner (farmer/land owner) and they record that on their master sheet for the permit.

Since we're trying to get this straight, lets make sure it is. You say, "the reg now allows the Farmer / Land owner to check the deer in as a kill", but I am neither the farmer or the land owner. Most of them have a permit with many, many authorized hunters assigned to it. The one I'm on has over 80 hunters on 1 permit. Any one of those authorized hunters can kill a deer on the permit, call and check it in with the permit number, receive a confirmation number which is then given to the permit owner (farmer/land owner) and they record that on their master sheet for the permit.
Correct. That's exactly what happened here. Hunter called and gave me the confirmation number as well.

bulldog

First of all Pushrod, I'm with you on this and agree 100%. But just for the sake of doing so, lets look at it from another view...the farmers.

If I'm a livestock farmer and live in an area with yotes, wolves or other predators, I'm going to shoot those and leave them lay or pick them up and hang them from a fence post. Nobody I know eats yotes or wolves. Probably the same with the proverbial fox in the hen house around here. I'm going to kill the fox and dispose of it.
Why is the crop farmer who is losing his crops to deer any different? If there are ground hogs destroying an area of a bean field...and trust me, they can, I'm going to shoot it and toss it in the ditch. Why is the deer any different? What if the farmer has absolutely NO DESIRE to eat deer meat and/or does not have the time or want to call a family friend to come get a deer he shot due to crop damage? Why do we (me included) get all bent out of shape over a deer being shot and left, but we could not care less about another destructive animal?

What say you?

bulldog

Well, there would have been plenty-o-ass for you to kick back then, when it was a written regulation of the permit.

What is "back then"? I find it very difficult to believe that they have ever had a shoot it and let it lay policy within the last 30 years. If someone says they have, I'd like to see it in writing.

It's what's for dinner tomorrow.:yahoo:

Buddy of mine is filling crop damage permits. His freezer is full. Now he's starting on mine. Brought me a venison veal tonight. Fresh from the farmer's field. She's butchered and in the freezer (except for the roast we're eating tomorrow night). :yum:
2nd deer has been processed! :yahoo:

Doctor

Dr. Mat
What is "back then"? I find it very difficult to believe that they have ever had a shoot it and let it lay policy within the last 30 years. If someone says they have, I'd like to see it in writing.

About 12 years ago that is how it was, but DNR gave out very few if any crop permits

Why is the crop farmer who is losing his crops to deer any different? If there are ground hogs destroying an area of a bean field...and trust me, they can, I'm going to shoot it and toss it in the ditch. Why is the deer any different? What if the farmer has absolutely NO DESIRE to eat deer meat and/or does not have the time or want to call a family friend to come get a deer he shot due to crop damage? Why do we (me included) get all bent out of shape over a deer being shot and left, but we could not care less about another destructive animal?

What say you?

I know many farmers that shoot and let lay. I hate it but can not blame them. I try to do my part but I can't deal with 30 deer a summer and if I kill 30 they want me to kill 40 and so on.

Pushrod

Patriot
First of all Pushrod, I'm with you on this and agree 100%. But just for the sake of doing so, lets look at it from another view...the farmers.

If I'm a livestock farmer and live in an area with yotes, wolves or other predators, I'm going to shoot those and leave them lay or pick them up and hang them from a fence post. Nobody I know eats yotes or wolves. Probably the same with the proverbial fox in the hen house around here. I'm going to kill the fox and dispose of it.

What say you?

No, I'm talking about the hunter in season who would leave a deer instead of tracking it, or just shoots it to kill it, not for the meat. I can understand farmers and crop damage. I have a farm myself and suffer from bear, dear and other critters foraging where I don't want them to. Myself, if I had to take an animal off season to mitigate crop damage, I would have it processed (except bear, nasty meat), especially ground hog, love the meat.

bulldog

No, I'm talking about the hunter in season who would leave a deer instead of tracking it, or just shoots it to kill it, not for the meat.

Okay, I'm with you now and the person you describe above should be hung by the short hairs and left as ant bait.

You eat groud hog meat? Never heard of anyone doing that before.

Pushrod

Patriot
Okay, I'm with you now and the person you describe above should be hung by the short hairs and left as ant bait.

You eat groud hog meat? Never heard of anyone doing that before.

Try barbequeing it, it is excellent. Never turn down a groundhog! :salivating:

Oh, I was born and raised in West Virginia, we ate any critter we shot or trapped.

Pushrod

Patriot
Well hell, seems like I have been missing out. May have to give the GH a try.

Naw, you don't want to do that, we were just yanking your chain. When you shoot a groundhog, just give it to me and I will make sure it is properly disposed of :wink: ;)

JoeMac

No, I'm talking about the hunter in season who would leave a deer instead of tracking it, or just shoots it to kill it, not for the meat. I can understand farmers and crop damage. I have a farm myself and suffer from bear, dear and other critters foraging where I don't want them to. Myself, if I had to take an animal off season to mitigate crop damage, I would have it processed (except bear, nasty meat), especially ground hog, love the meat.

Bears?

I have been wanting to try ground hog for a while. I figure they are plant eaters they can't be that bad.

Any predator should be skinned out or given to a trapper. They will be glad to take them, including skunks. The only thing I can think of they probably don't want is an opossum, but foxes, coyotes or anything like that.