From Sports Bar to Soup Kitchen

OccamsRazor

The reason it wouldn't sell is simple economics..the bar business truly sucks rocks these days.
Interested in why you would say this. Don't know of any other local bars that are suffering. Maybe during the 'rona they were having difficult times but, now they seem pretty good.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Interested in why you would say this. Don't know of any other local bars that are suffering. Maybe during the 'rona they were having difficult times but, now they seem pretty good.
The bar business in my area started going down back in the 90s... Many closed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Interesting. No really big changes to 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 8th. :sshrug: Most likely because that is where most of the people reside.
The districts I listed were once famous (infamous) for having so many, many bars. And now almost none in any of them. It wasn't just locals frequenting them either....far from it...I remember when Swanns (my bar), Tall Timbers Tavern, Tall Timbers Marina (when the restaurant was a night club), Oakwood Lodge (when it was a night club, before it became a restaurant) etc etc were jam packed to legal capacity on any given Friday or Saturday night. Parking was my biggest problem....it would be up and down the road on the shoulders and spill over in to the fields where the Piney Poin landing parks are now. And every one of those places had a live band on at least one of those two nights.

Grumpy

The districts I listed were once famous (infamous) for having so many, many bars. And now almost none in any of them. It wasn't just locals frequenting them either....far from it...I remember when Swanns (my bar), Tall Timbers Tavern, Tall Timbers Marina (when the restaurant was a night club), Oakwood Lodge (when it was a night club, before it became a restaurant) etc etc were jam packed to legal capacity on any given Friday or Saturday night. Parking was my biggest problem....it would be up and down the road on the shoulders and spill over in to the fields where the Piney Poin landing parks are now. And every one of those places had a live band on at least one of those two nights.
First time in southern MD back in the 60s, buddy of mine's band was playing in Tall Timbers..Fun time til the lead singer said to a group of sailors 'Bite my crank, maties'

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
From memory...these are all closed, just in 7D: T's Cove, Club Paradise, Victory, Old Gum, Quade's
Well, if you go back far enough, didn't SMC have the most bars per capita in the US? Priorities huh?
I believe the Sun or the Post did an article on that.... ;-)

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The bar business in my area started going down back in the 90s... Many closed.
I think that's been like that nearly everywhere. Many of the bars I got thrown out of in the 70s have closed, although some of that is because the jobs that the customer base had disappeared (coal, manufacturing, trucking, etc.). My guess it was a combination of the Baby Boomers aging out of hanging around bars (and their predecessors, the "Greatest" Generation who were real serious barflies, dying) on Fridays and Saturdays, a change in interests and you can't forget the stepped up enforcement of DUI laws which really ramped up then.

OccamsRazor

Apparently, you're not familiar with how it was...
How it was? No. How it is? Yes. Apparently those bars/businesses are gone because there weren't enough people supporting them. Just like many businesses around here. People whine and complain that they are gone but you never see them come out to support them until they are closing and having "Going out of business sales."

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

How it was? No. How it is? Yes. Apparently those bars/businesses are gone because there weren't enough people supporting them. Just like many businesses around here. People whine and complain that they are gone but you never see them come out to support them until they are closing and having "Going out of business sales."
How about too many corporate eateries and corporate backed franchises, (using cheap or nearly free money by selling corporate bonds, or getting sweetheart deals from banks or financiers, in addition to paying the lowest wages possible), and getting volume discounts of all equipment, supplies, foods and liquors, undercutting the price points of the locals making it extremely difficult to compete.

There is no level playing field when it comes to competing against corporations, because of favoritism from banks, politicians, and local zoning and permitting processes, make it nearly impossible compete. Unless an individual is individually wealthy and has the dedication to see their vision or passion realized by funding an entire enterprise themselves. And by already owning the land to use for such an adventure outright before even starting.

In addition, the tax bill for the Texas Road house property for 2021 is $21,512.22
Tall Timbers Marina for 2021 is $32,495.18
Fitzie's Marina & Pub for 2021 is $12,073.50
Olde Town Pub in Leonardtown for 2021 is $6,017.75

And this doesn't even begin to cover licences, permits, liability insurance, etc. So how is the small mom and pop small business operator supposed to compete?

Reactions: TPD

OccamsRazor

If I may ...

How about too many corporate eateries and corporate backed franchises, (using cheap or nearly free money by selling corporate bonds, or getting sweetheart deals from banks or financiers, in addition to paying the lowest wages possible), and getting volume discounts of all equipment, supplies, foods and liquors, undercutting the price points of the locals making it extremely difficult to compete.

There is no level playing field when it comes to competing against corporations, because of favoritism from banks, politicians, and local zoning and permitting processes, make it nearly impossible compete. Unless an individual is individually wealthy and has the dedication to see their vision or passion realized by funding an entire enterprise themselves. And by already owning the land to use for such an adventure outright before even starting.

In addition, the tax bill for the Texas Road house property for 2021 is $21,512.22
Tall Timbers Marina for 2021 is $32,495.18
Fitzie's Marina & Pub for 2021 is $12,073.50
Olde Town Pub in Leonardtown for 2021 is $6,017.75

And this doesn't even begin to cover licences, permits, liability insurance, etc. So how is the small mom and pop small business operator supposed to compete?
Well, I cannot speak for Tall Timbers or Fitzie's but, the other 2 establishments you list are examples of both a chain and non-chain business. Both seem to do VERY well. Especially Old Town Pub. Packed every single day! Doing great business. My guess is because they have a good reputation, quality service, good food, and of course... alcohol! You see, people tend to give repeat business to places they can rely on for a quality experience. Regardless, bottom line is that mom and pop places will survive IF people spend their money OFTEN at their establishment. Period! One cannot complain that there are no mom and pop alternatives but eat out every night at Texas Roadhouse or Red Robin.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well, I cannot speak for Tall Timbers or Fitzie's but, the other 2 establishments you list are examples of both a chain and non-chain business. Both seem to do VERY well. Especially Old Town Pub. Packed every single day! Doing great business. My guess is because they have a good reputation, quality service, good food, and of course... alcohol! You see, people tend to give repeat business to places they can rely on for a quality experience. Regardless, bottom line is that mom and pop places will survive IF people spend their money OFTEN at their establishment. Period! One cannot complain that there are no mom and pop alternatives but eat out every night at Texas Roadhouse or Red Robin.
I am not saying there are those that can't, haven't, continue to make a go of it. The one's making it today most likely have, over the years, paid down, or paid off, any business related debt, or mortgage, allowing them to operate with way less overhead. I would wager that the ones, small business owners, (and not the federal definition of 50 employees or less small business), that are currently operating would have an extremely difficult time starting from scratch today.