From Sports Bar to Soup Kitchen

OccamsRazor

If I may ...

I am not saying there are those that can't, haven't, continue to make a go of it. The one's making it today most likely have, over the years, paid down, or paid off, any business related debt, or mortgage, allowing them to operate with way less overhead. I would wager that the ones, small business owners, (and not the federal definition of 50 employees or less small business), that are currently operating would have an extremely difficult time starting from scratch today.
Exactly my point. It is quite a bit more difficult however, if people were to actually SUPPORT these mom and pop businesses instead of just complaining when they fail, they would have a much better chance at survival.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Exactly my point. It is quite a bit more difficult however, if people were to actually SUPPORT these mom and pop businesses instead of just complaining when they fail, they would have a much better chance at survival.
That would require people being more sociable and getting to know their "neighbor" owned business, and those that patronize it. People prefer, it seems, to like the sterile environments the corporations offer, which require less interaction with others. People have become lazy and do not want to try to fit in with an established business and it associated customers. Too scary. Cause some of these people look like, gasp, blue collar type people that drink beer from a can, or straight from the bottle, rather than a glass. But I understand your points.

CPUSA

Apparently those bars/businesses are gone because there weren't enough people supporting them. Just like many businesses around here. People whine and complain that they are gone but you never see them come out to support them until they are closing and having "Going out of business sales."
Yeah. That's exactly what did it. Not the crackdown on drinking & driving. Not the State Troopers hanging out across from the bars on softball night, pool league night, darts night, etc. Didn't have anything to do with higher & higher taxes, food costs, snowflakes demanding $15.00/hr to CONTINUE being failures at their menial jobs...It was ALL like you said...especially after NOT knowing how it was before....Maybe you should go back to being clueless, because when you express yourself with HALF a clue, you sound....completely clueless still

OccamsRazor

Yeah. That's exactly what did it. Not the crackdown on drinking & driving. Not the State Troopers hanging out across from the bars on softball night, pool league night, darts night, etc. Didn't have anything to do with higher & higher taxes, food costs, snowflakes demanding $15.00/hr to CONTINUE being failures at their menial jobs...It was ALL like you said...especially after NOT knowing how it was before....Maybe you should go back to being clueless, because when you express yourself with HALF a clue, you sound....completely clueless still
The final hiding spot for those without the means to rationalize... the insult.
If this is the case, then why did many other places manage to stay in business? Were the sheriffs picking on YOUR favorite establishments? Were the successful businesses able to evade their tax increases? Increased food costs not hit them? Were they importing workers from another state to avoid paying those "high dollar" wages? Please... do tell how other businesses in the area manage to stay in business. Enlighten us with your in-depth knowledge of how YOUR businesses got screwed while others get a free ride. I'll wait.....

OccamsRazor

List them. The number of bars plummeted over a 20 year period and never rebounded...and never will.
Toots
Last Drop
Hole in the Wall
ABC
Green Door
BDP
Heavy Hitters
Tiki Bar
Old Town Pub
.... a few others.

Seem to be doing well. Some name changes but, they are all bars that are still open.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

That would require people being more sociable and getting to know their "neighbor" owned business, and those that patronize it. People prefer, it seems, to like the sterile environments the corporations offer, which require less interaction with others. People have become lazy and do not want to try to fit in with an established business and it associated customers. Too scary. Cause some of these people look like, gasp, blue collar type people that drink beer from a can, or straight from the bottle, rather than a glass. But I understand your points.
A lot of it is simply the hours they are open vs the corporate giants. Can't patronize them if they are only open while I'm at work.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Toots
Last Drop
Hole in the Wall
ABC
Green Door
BDP
Heavy Hitters
Tiki Bar
Old Town Pub
.... a few others.

Seem to be doing well. Some name changes but, they are all bars that are still open.
yep..not many left at all compared to what it was back when I owned a bar. Plus Old Town is new(er)...Tiki has new owner(s)..

OccamsRazor

yep..not many left at all compared to what it was back when I owned a bar. Plus Old Town is new(er)...Tiki has new owner(s)..
Argument was that many of the closed establishments were due to policing, taxes, etc. My argument was how these businesses survived when others apparently fell victim to oppression from police, increased taxes, and higher demanded wages. Still waiting for that reply :whistle:

CPUSA

Argument was that many of the closed establishments were due to policing, taxes, etc. My argument was how these businesses survived when others apparently fell victim to oppression from police, increased taxes, and higher demanded wages. Still waiting for that reply :whistle:
I thought I explained it very well in my reply, but since you didn't understand it, here we go:
Stop commenting on a subject you apparently knw NOTHING about.
Now run along to one of those establishments you rattled off & pretend it hasn't changed hands 6 times already since to 70s...

I can't wait for you to find maybe 1 that has the original owners so you can come back to prove me "wrong"...
I'm sure it will bore me just as much as it will thrill you...

Clem72

Toots
Last Drop
Hole in the Wall
ABC
Green Door
BDP
Heavy Hitters
Tiki Bar
Old Town Pub
.... a few others.

That can't be all of them? I'll admit it's been some time since I last went to a bar, but what about the VFW? The FRA? Elks Lodge? FOP?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My hometown in NJ and the next town over had a lot of corner & neighborhood bars. It was about half blue collar workers in the 1960s & 1970s. The corner bar near where I lived opened early. By 8am, all the bar stools were occupied by the night shift workers. These were a shot and a beer drinkers. Nobody was ordering a brandy alexander in those places. I never saw any women in there unless it was the owner's wife. Many guys had their designated bar stool.

Now when I go home, there is only 1 bar left. It is now a sports bar and they serve food from a quite large menu. It's not the smoky joint it once was. The next town over had a bar that I drove past last year. It's gone and the restaurant next door took over that space.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My hometown in NJ and the next town over had a lot of corner & neighborhood bars. It was about half blue collar workers in the 1960s & 1970s. The corner bar near where I lived opened early. By 8am, all the bar stools were occupied by the night shift workers. These were a shot and a beer drinkers. Nobody was ordering a brandy alexander in those places. I never saw any women in there unless it was the owner's wife. Many guys had their designated bar stool.

Now when I go home, there is only 1 bar left. It is now a sports bar and they serve food from a quite large menu. It's not the smoky joint it once was. The next town over had a bar that I drove past last year. It's gone and the restaurant next door took over that space.
You just back memories of Gloucester City, NJ. The corner neighborhood bar across the street from the main gate was MT Pockets. Wasted many a dollar in there.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You obviously were not around here when DUI enforcement kicked in to high gear.