From Sports Bar to Soup Kitchen

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Interested in why you would say this. Don't know of any other local bars that are suffering. Maybe during the 'rona they were having difficult times but, now they seem pretty good.Keep moving them goal posts!
My initial and ONLY argument here was that there are plenty of establishments/bars that are still open despite the obstacles that you mentioned. Feel free to add or remove needless side-notes to your point to validate what you are saying in response to my point but... ya' know... insults and straw men will definitely shield you from admitting being wrong.
I think the point being made here is the bar business used to be recession proof. You opened a bar and people gave you money. We had maybe not hundreds but tens of tens. We are now down to a pitiful few and very few are local establishments. You can keep arguing the point that some few have survived, but you can’t deny that we’ve lost a majority of them over the last decade.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
yep. But Ocambuttboy knows more. By osmosis, apparently
They also have regular events. Cornhole, live bands Friday, Saturday and sometimes on Sunday Funday, karaoke, darts, movie nights, oyster roasts, BBQs, charity events, etc.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

One MUST also factor into the equation that liquor boards now require there be a certain ratio of (real prepared) foods sales to liquor sales. Pretty sure ratios vary from county to county, I think. But, and however, this requirement, (which is always inspected by liquor boards to be used and verified), [free salted peanuts sitting atop the bar don't count], can be an absolute detriment to a hole in the wall type establishment. Betting that is the main reason there aren't those local bars anymore where blue collar men would just quench, tell their stories, and possibly settle a score/grudge, or two, on the premises, with both back to the bar stool afterwards, after a long day's work on the water, the farm, building things, etc.. To afford to install a proper health department regulated kitchen and associated food grade appliances, grease traps and upgraded septic systems, and annual inspections, would be cost prohibitive for many. It is the goody two shoes control freaks that know better than everyone else sitting on liquor boards that caused the unnecessary closures, aside from retirements, and possible fiscal and business mismanagement.

In addition, any grandfathered business, would lose that grandfathered status after a sale or transfer of such a business, along with necessitating a transfer request for the liquor licence, or the need to apply for a new liquor licence, and the need for the updating of the business to current codes. There now are also requirements for bars to have a written and submitted "security plans" and operational plans. Every employee that makes/mixes or serves alcohol must get an Alcohol Seller-Server Training & Certification. It is not as easy as it once was to just operate a bar business as it was in the good 'ole days. Regulations, micromanagement, and do gooders, aka government, killed the local hole in the wall bar. Because now bars, must now be restaurants also.

So @OccamsRazor. Here is the answer to your inquires.

OccamsRazor

If I may ...

One MUST also factor into the equation that liquor boards now require there be a certain ratio of (real prepared) foods sales to liquor sales. Pretty sure ratios vary from county to county, I think. But, and however, this requirement, (which is always inspected by liquor boards to be used and verified), [free salted peanuts sitting atop the bar don't count], can be an absolute detriment to a hole in the wall type establishment. Betting that is the main reason there aren't those local bars anymore where blue collar men would just quench, tell their stories, and possibly settle a score/grudge, or two, on the premises, with both back to the bar stool afterwards, after a long day's work on the water, the farm, building things, etc.. To afford to install a proper health department regulated kitchen and associated food grade appliances, grease traps and upgraded septic systems, and annual inspections, would be cost prohibitive for many. It is the goody two shoes control freaks that know better than everyone else sitting on liquor boards that caused the unnecessary closures, aside from retirements, and possible fiscal and business mismanagement.

In addition, any grandfathered business, would lose that grandfathered status after a sale or transfer of such a business, along with necessitating a transfer request for the liquor licence, or the need to apply for a new liquor licence, and the need for the updating of the business to current codes. There now are also requirements for bars to have a written and submitted "security plans" and operational plans. Every employee that makes/mixes or serves alcohol must get an Alcohol Seller-Server Training & Certification. It is not as easy as it once was to just operate a bar business as it was in the good 'ole days. Regulations, micromanagement, and do gooders, aka government, killed the local hole in the wall bar. Because now bars, must now be restaurants also.

Thank you for the reply. Good to know info. Surprised some of the self-proclaimed previous "bar owners" couldn't present this.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Places like Applebee's & Outback are now getting the bar crowd after work. It aligns better with the white collar crowd. The shot & beer joints were better suited for the blue collar folks.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

What portion of receipts must be food in St Mary's?

Hasn't that been a requirement since the late 80s due to the drunk driving crackdown? I remember it as a way to control college bars back in the 90s.

Grumpy

Hasn't that been a requirement since the late 80s due to the drunk driving crackdown? I remember it as a way to control college bars back in the 90s.
Was involved with a bar/restaurant in the mid 70s in PG and there was a requirement then, damned if I can remember what it was ,tho.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I dunno. Pretty sure there's a regulation somewhere about it online, somewhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Our bar tenders did all have to pass the required training course. Never had anyone from liquor board ever ask about food sales though. All we'd see were the periodic attempts by under-age police cadets to purchase alcohol (something they still do regularly around the county to this day), and an occasional friendly vist from Skip Stewart just poking his head in to see how things were going.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Never had anyone from liquor board ever ask about food sales though.
Is this because some equate a regular old bar/club with a restaurant that has a BWL license? Restaurants have to have receipts from food sales greater than receipts for alcohol sales, but can't find this requirement for bars.