From Sports Bar to Soup Kitchen

OccamsRazor

The number of bars plummeted over a 20 year period and never rebounded...and never will. You need to read posts. ;-p
Why do you insist on responding to a post NOT directed at you with cut-n-paste replies from a different conversation? Seems "moronic" to me.
No wonder threads go "off the rails"
I don't need to know what happened here in the "Good 'Ole Boy-Been here all ma-life I know everyone and everything" to know how businesses rise and fall.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A lot of folks still miss my old place....that ariel photo and May Lou's painting both done while I owned it.

Swanns in 1996 when I owned it.jpg
Swanns painting Troutman.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If only we had a lot more alcoholics in southern Maryland these treasured public houses would not have faded away. :cds:
You nailed it. The days when every Tom, Dick, Harry and waterman drank their weight in alkyhaul after work every day have left us behind.

As the owner of what was once the largest bar complex in St. Mary's, I accumulated a LOT of stories. Some funny..many not. Like the time I came up behind a feller that had raised a chunk of firewood over his head to thump his wife a good one for dancing too close with some other feller. I snatched the block of wood out of his hand right at the top of his upstroke...close one. Kicked 'em both out. Or the time I got a phone call from Pat at the liquor board: "Bill...you can't have your bartenders laid out on the bar giving away belly-button shooters" LMAO..had just hired a hot new bartender and was not yet aware of her rather unique "skill set".. One of my favorites though: Local fella was in every afternoon around 2 and always left at 5. One day he's right back in around 6. I ask: "What's up, Bud?..not like you to come back like this so late in the evening" Bud: "[grumbles] ole lady said she was tired of me coming home half-drunk for dinner so I came back to finish the job". :lmao:

Grumpy

Anyone remember the bartender at boatman's that would take her top off all the time?
Wasn't down here during my formulative years, but we had a few bartenders up my way in the DC/MD area. Lot of fun times back in the day, a friend brought his horse in for a drink one day, a patron wanted attention so she disrobed in the ladies room and strolled around the bar for a bit (gorgeous,BTW). Lots of stories..:lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wasn't down here during my formulative years, :lol:
I was on one of the many dart teams that existed back in the 80s..when there were so many many more bars then, that all sponsored them. It was an excuse to drink a lot on a week night... I shot for T's Cove #2 team. Their #1 team was a perennial contender for the Tricoda championship. We, on the other hand...well...we used to brag : "We got knocked out of last place once, but we fought our way back".

mitzi

Toots
Last Drop
Hole in the Wall
ABC
Green Door
BDP
Heavy Hitters
Tiki Bar
Old Town Pub
.... a few others.

Seem to be doing well. Some name changes but, they are all bars that are still open.
The top three I would say location. One hop to another. Heavy Hitters has only been a bar for maybe 15 years. Old Town Pub maybe the last 10. They've all changed owners over the years.

Grumpy

I was on one of the many dart teams that existed back in the 80s..when there were so many many more bars then, that all sponsored them. It was an excuse to drink a lot on a week night... I shot for T's Cove #2 team. Their #1 team was a perennial contender for the Tricoda championship. We, on the other hand...well...we used to brag : "We got knocked out of last place once, but we fought our way back".
Shot darts all around the DC/Bmore area, can only think of once that we were close to Somd (Waldorf) Thinking Tricoda was after my time, I belonged to WADA and MADA. (DC/MD darting assoc). Went to alot of tourneys, did finish 4th in one but that was a fluke. Guy I ran with and I always had a blackjack game going all weekend in our hotel room..always paid for our weekends..lol This was all back in the mid to late 70s.

Been watching alot of the European Dart tourneys on youtube, those guys play a game I am not familiar with..180s commonplace, 170 outs aren't rare..9 dart 501 games..crazy good

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The top three I would say location. One hop to another. Heavy Hitters has only been a bar for maybe 15 years. Old Town Pub maybe the last 10. They've all changed owners over the years.
Yup. Mostly catered to the surrounding neighborhood locals.