Fuel Pump

D

dems4me

Thanks for all the advice... I will heed to it and will try to drive carefully and roll windows up before smoking going home and then check for leaks tonight!!! Thanks!!! :huggy: Y'all have a good night!!! I'm outta here :getdown:

D

dems4me

jazz lady said:
There IS a God, because my prayers have been answered. :lmao:

Nooooot soooooo fasttttttt... :lol: I think both of us were praying for the same thing... 5:30- to get here :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
dems4me said:
1999 Chevy Silverado POS
You need a new car. I have one for you to purchase. It gets excellent gas mileage, is very cute, and really dependable. When people see you driving it, they will say "Hey, look at Dems in that cute, and earth-friendly vehicle", instead of just ":gossip: Hey, look at Dems". You can pick it up this weekend.

D

dems4me

Nickel said:
You need a new car. I have one for you to purchase. It gets excellent gas mileage, is very cute, and really dependable. When people see you driving it, they will say "Hey, look at Dems in that cute, and earth-friendly vehicle", instead of just ":gossip: Hey, look at Dems". You can pick it up this weekend.

I have a 97 tracer, I just need to replace the breakpads, windshield and battery... and I just recently sold my other car I had. Thanks anyways... I'll stick with the ":gossip:.... hey, look at sexy Dems, just don't light a match" :roflmao:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Your fuel pump list price is in the $500 range for a 1999 V8 Silverado for a name brand aftermarket pump. Someone mentioned above that the dealer list is about $650 if the part came from GM. To do the job correctly, your mechanic would need to drop the tank and clean the crap out of it to prevent damage to your new pump. So, $800 doesn't sound overpriced for that job. Expensive yes, but a fair price.

When you go to start the engine, turn the key to ON before trying to start your engine. You should hear the fuel pump running/buzzing behind you for about 2 seconds. It is pressurizing your fuel lines. If it runs longer than that, or you have to crank it for a long time to get it started (as you described,) you probably have a leak. Turn the key to on, count to 5, and then try to start it. Might help you deal with the hard start until you get the leak fixed.

You might be able to find the leak just by switching the key to ON without starting the engine then tracing the fuel lines from the tank forward. If not, start the engine and look for a leak without smoking or using a match for light.

Good luck! :cool:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Nickel said:

Is that the car that everyone here warned you not to buy? :confused:

D

dems4me

Oz said:

No, I never solicited advise on whether to buy a truck or car... I've had both before even joining the forumite asylum -- I asked about buying a used computer :shrug:
Maybe you just heard someone talking about my mileage meaning something else :shrug:

:lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Oz said:
No, it's the car that I owned (well, still own) previous to that. I love my "new" car, and only a few people told me not to buy it. Besides being rear-ended in it on like, day 2, it's been smooth sailing.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
dems4me said:
No, I never solicited advise on whether to buy a truck or car... I've had both before even joining the forumite asylum -- I asked about buying a used computer :shrug:
Maybe you just heard someone talking about my mileage meaning something else :shrug:

:lol:
He was talking to me.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I'm not a qualified mechanic by any means, but either they didn't tighten down the fuel line fittings from the tank sufficiently, or they stripped them(crossthreaded) them, and that is where her problem lies.

There would be no reason to replace the entire fuel line , all the way through to the injection manifold, so that is what I suspect; it's at the rear of the vehicle.

The only other reason I could think of for the leak, is if the mechanic somehow "dinged" the fuel line with a sharp object,(trimming off excess gasket material?), but they're going to have to inspect the entire fuel system anyways.

**But, Dems, if I were you, I would refrain from smoking in the vehicle - period.**

You've been lucky so far; no spark from a discarded cigarette has managed to ignite the vapors, but how long do you think your luck will hold out?

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
dems4me said:
About a month ago I had my fuel pump replaced.... every single time I drive it now I'm being inundated with the smell of gasolene - mostly when I stop or after I shut the engine off... it's very over powering and it's to the point where I'm leary of smoking during this phase.... Is this normal after you get a fuel pump replacement :shrug:

No it is not normal. And you need to take it to a mechanic.. NOW !

Before it catches on FIRE

D

dems4me

gumbo said:
No it is not normal. And you need to take it to a mechanic.. NOW !

Before it catches on FIRE

I'm at work - can't do it... but will take care of this before next week... :huggy: I've already got my escape route out of the truck if it does catch fire and have stopped wearing my seatbelt in case I need to jetison out and I've even started using the truck's ciggerette lighter to avoid sparks... and have been using the ashtray in truck :huggy:

Thanks... I'll let you know what it was in case anyone else has or will have this problem.. :huggy:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
dems4me said:
I'm at work - can't do it... but will take care of this before next week... :huggy: I've already got my escape route out of the truck if it does catch fire and have stopped wearing my seatbelt in case I need to jetison out and I've even started using the truck's ciggerette lighter to avoid sparks... and have been using the ashtray in truck :huggy:

Thanks... I'll let you know what it was in case anyone else has or will have this problem.. :huggy:
:twitch: :nono: STOP SMOKING AND FIX THE TRUCK

Vince

Fire triangle. Heat, fuel, oxygen. Dems lit Cigarette, truck leaks fuel, oxygen (all over the place) = Truck goes BOOM. :yikes:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
dems4me said:

Dems, I can't believe you. Several people have warned you about smoking in this vehicle in it's present condition. I know, you've been doing this for a month now, and it's been fine so far.

They talk about the president "spending capital": what you are doing is "spending luck"!

If a spark ignites the fumes in the vehicle - yes, if you are smelling them, they are IN the vehicle! - then any escape plan you have devised, as well as not wearing your seatbelt - will do absolutely no good.

If that shaitt ignites, you won't have to worry about anything else, because you'll be blown from the vehicle, and we'll be hearing about you on the Channel 7 news at 6:00pm. :duh:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Vince said:
Fire triangle. Heat, fuel, oxygen. Dems lit Cigarette, truck leaks fuel, oxygen (all over the place) = Truck goes BOOM. :yikes:

Oh but that won't really matter because she has a FIRE ESCAPE ROUTE and is driving to DC daily WITHOUT A SEATBELT.

I normally think Dems is picked on too much, but between this and the propane incident.....I just can't believe anyone would do this crap.

D

dems4me

bresamil said:
Oh but that won't really matter because she has a FIRE ESCAPE ROUTE and is driving to DC daily WITHOUT A SEATBELT.

I normally think Dems is picked on too much, but between this and the propane incident.....I just can't believe anyone would do this crap.

:huggy: I was just trying to get feedback for this fuel thing - that's all. Penn... you try spending an hour and a half one way in traffic in the morning not going anywhere, horns blowing, people cussing and cutting you off and see if you don't want to reach down for a ciggerette.
The propane thing (my bad apparently it was butane) happened a month or so ago... I never shared it because it wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done admittedly, but I figured if I posted it back to someone as we were doing in a joking fashion, most folks would just gloss over it. It's not like I posted it in the Chit Chat section, etc... I thought maybe 4 or 5 folks would read it and that would have been that. I had no clue the circus that would be created due to it. If anything I hope this serves as a warning for others who may be in the same predicatment. :ohwell: