FYI: Serious Accident on TJ Bridge, Bridge Closed

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No excuse. The lanes are wide enough for all vehicles including dump trucks. It's on the driver to drive within his/her lane.

^This^

Driving across the bridge without mishap is a simple matter of paying attention and staying in your own lane. It's not difficult.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I see it every day driving to/from work, cars drifting over into another lane or on the shoulder only to be jerked back into their original lane.

Monello and I were behind this nitwit the other day, all over the road, drifting, overcorrecting, drifting again. Normally I just avoid these people but for some reason I had a moment of road rage, so I honked at her several times to get her attention. This did not seem to have any effect, so I just sped up and went around her.

She was in the classic position - head down, one hand on the wheel, glancing up every few seconds....

But I'll bet if you asked her she would say, "Oh, I drive just fine when I'm texting..." because she was completely oblivious to anything going on around her.

Monello and I were behind this nitwit the other day, all over the road, drifting, overcorrecting, drifting again. Normally I just avoid these people but for some reason I had a moment of road rage, so I honked at her several times to get her attention. This did not seem to have any effect, so I just sped up and went around her.

She was in the classic position - head down, one hand on the wheel, glancing up every few seconds....

But I'll bet if you asked her she would say, "Oh, I drive just fine when I'm texting..." because she was completely oblivious to anything going on around her.

I'd rather have her in front of me where i can see what she's doing and avoid her. If she's behind you, you can't control her ramming you from behind.

3CATSAILOR

Impairment by cellphone. There may have been alcohol/drugs involved but there seems to be more head-on collisions lately and I attribute that to texting/distracted driving. I see it every day driving to/from work, cars drifting over into another lane or on the shoulder only to be jerked back into their original lane.

Grumpy, you are absolutely correct! Based on the new statistics, 1 out of 3 are texting in St. Mary's/ Calvert, it is very likely the person was texting. I am not sure why the police don't get serious about this problem. I can say that the "police" is becoming part of the problem by NOT enforcing the laws they are sworn to enforce. How many more people need to get hurt? And worse, how many more need to die? The police have let this get out of control and over come them. Have you seen the deputies drive down the road? Aren't they distracted by their on board computers? I was behind a marked police car that was going on and off the road one day. I followed him to Lexington Park. Eventually he pulled in a parking lot. I happened to know him. I asked if he was okay. He said yes and asked why I was asking. I said it was because you were going on and off the road all the way down Route 5. He didn't realize how bad he was driving. This shows it is easy to get distracted. Anyone can do it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Let's just be brutally honest. Impaired / Distracted driving is a problem. It's a problem for a number of reasons.
You have people trying to proclaim they are better than the mathematically calculated average time and measured times to react
On the flip side, you have those who are completely focused on one technology.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'd rather have her in front of me where i can see what she's doing and avoid her. If she's behind you, you can't control her ramming you from behind.
I was on the receiving end of a young kid texting while driving; though this is a suspicion. Didn't hear the screech of tires until right before he plowed into the back of our pickup.