Games of the XXXI Olympiad (Rio 2016)

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Avoiding Olympic spoilers should be an Olympic sport. 2016 and NBC can't show this stuff live.

GO TEAM USA!!! :patriot:

Hessian

Slavery & Global warming---highlights of the showy arena opener....
Problem: One graphic showed the shrinking Arctic ice---stopped in 2008. Hmmm, why not keep showing it up til 2016? ANSWER: Because it ruined their propaganda! NASA has plenty of photos of it growing rapidly. They totally ignore that Antarctica has also been adding hundreds of square miles of ice.

Yes Brazil held Slaves all the way to 1888. So...Any noise about reparations? BLM?...The show just moved on to the ravaging of the rainforest and other impugned thoughts of guilt. More Africans were taken to Brazil than to North America by a factor of 4. Seems to me that they have found some equilibrium over the horrendous practice. (SIDENOTE: ISIS this past week said that if they had existed in the last century they would have continued the flood tide of African slavery...but the media felt that was not worth a comment.)

So...apart from the parade of woes in the opener...looks like we might dominate the medal count now that a lot of Russians are miffed at doping charges, and there are plenty of mosquito nets available. (NOW that would have been a cool graphic: A massive mosquito net draped over Christ the Redeemer statue.)

Clem72

Avoiding Olympic spoilers should be an Olympic sport. 2016 and NBC can't show this stuff live.

GO TEAM USA!!! :patriot:

The NBC Sports app (or Roku channel) has about 800 feeds on it (no joke). They show pretty much everything live. I watched 3.5 hours of ping pong on Sunday.

DipStick

The NBC Sports app (or Roku channel) has about 800 feeds on it (no joke). They show pretty much everything live. I watched 3.5 hours of ping pong on Sunday.

Yeah, I've been watching a lot on there. They have something called "Gold Zone" which runs multiple feeds on the same screen at the same time.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Apparently unconsensual sex is also being practiced

Practicing safe sex should be a sport, too, right?

2 Olympic boxers have been arrested for rape. Maids cleaning the rooms in the Olympic village were targeted as easy pickings and Rio women are viewed as promiscuous due to Carnival's sexy image.

Hassan Saada, a Moroccan boxer, was arrested on allegations of trying to rape two Brazilian maids at the Olympic Village, authorities said Friday.

In the red corner, from Morocco, rapist #1

Namibian team flag bearer Jonas Junias has been arrested at the Rio Olympics Athletes Village accused of the sexual assault of a housemaid.

In the blue corner, from Namibia, rapist #2

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, a couple questions;

For one, tennis, golf, NBA players from any nation, soccer, ALL must be banned. Those should not be Olympic sports.

For two, what if a permanent home? I read a good piece describing what a fiasco this is moving from nation to nation. Each new venue being an economic debacle for the host, loss of experience each time, trying to make the new venue work each time instead of getting better and better.

There were two good suggestions; one, hold them in Greece, permanently, or, two, disperse the events, let Greece be the home of, say, track and field, some other nation, the US, home of swimming, perhaps South Korea the home of archery, etc and so forth. Simply have everyone fly into Greece for the opening ceremonies and then off you go to the nation that hosts your event every time.

Clem72

I think having it in one location makes sense (or two rather, one for summer and one for winter), though I am not sure that location should be Greece. Romantic ideals aside, the modern Olympics has virtually nothing in common with the religious festival it's namesake was based on, and the originator of the modern Olympics wanted it to be permanently in Paris.

Clem72

For one, tennis, golf, NBA players from any nation, soccer, ALL must be banned. Those should not be Olympic sports.

Why would you ban these sports in particular, is it because (for them) the Olympics is not considered their most prestigious event? I feel like there should be even more reason to keep popular sports as it makes the playing field a bit more competitive as there is a chance that smaller nations have actually heard of/played the sport before. Or do you think a lot of Cubans go curling on the weekend or Ethiopians practice their horse dressage skills in the evenings?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why would you ban these sports in particular, is it because (for them) the Olympics is not considered their most prestigious event? I feel like there should be even more reason to keep popular sports as it makes the playing field a bit more competitive as there is a chance that smaller nations have actually heard of/played the sport before. Or do you think a lot of Cubans go curling on the weekend or Ethiopians practice their horse dressage skills in the evenings?

Tennis; we have plenty of it and not all the best are even bothering. Golf, same thing. If NBA, why not the NFL or major league baseball? I like the uniqueness of the 'other' sports. :buddies:

Clem72

Tennis; we have plenty of it and not all the best are even bothering. Golf, same thing. If NBA, why not the NFL or major league baseball? I like the uniqueness of the 'other' sports. :buddies:

I can't speak to why they include some sports and not others, they apparently have committees for that stuff. That said, internationally basketball is played much more than American rules football, so it seems obvious why one is included and the other is not.

But then you have sports that are played in virtually every country such as variation of Billiards and Bowling that are ignored, while performance art like synchronized swimming is included (why not a singing competition, or who can paint the best Bob Ross style landscape, or combat yoga, or any of a million other completely subjective artforms)

DipStick

They should paint that building the pool is in red, white and blue because Team USA OWNS it! Phelps went full Ledecky on that relay!

#21 :patriot: