Gas Prices

slik

aps45819 said:
Several million gallons burned up in England

We don't supply England and they don't supply us. Price of sweet crude has actually dropped on US market.
I though congress was investigating this but I don't see any action or the results of the hearing yet.

Just torques me.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
slik said:
We don't supply England and they don't supply us. Price of sweet crude has actually dropped on US market..
The market is global
I think that if you remove 30 million gallons of refined product from the market, it's going to create a demand to replace it. Maybe BP is shipping less here to fill the void.
(post story said 20 tanks @ 3 mil ea.)

Toxick

Splat
slik said:
OK - call me ignorant but is there a reason the prices of gas have gone up other then the execs want a larger Christmas bonus ? :burning:
You're ignorant.
You have no idea how the oil market works.
Gas prices are exactly where they should be.
They need it and they deserve it.

Todays post is brought to you by the letters 'sarc' and 'asm'. And the number 'wry'.

Toxick

Splat
StarCat said:
whatever the reason, it still sucks :mad:

What's funny is that I was watching CNN Headline News one morning last week. They were rejoicing over the fact that "Gas prices have fallen 11 cents per gallon over the last two weeks, and that trend is predicted to continue".

That's funny because, since I've moved back to Maryland a month ago, gas prices haven't gone down one effing cent.

Even funnier: I heard that news story on my way to work. On my way home, I noticed that gas prices had gone up 4 cents per gallon at almost every station I passed.

Yeah - I know it was a snow day... still. I thought it was funny to hear that on the news, and then see the opposite in reality.

And by funny, I mean "sucky".

ylexot

Super Genius
StarCat said:
whatever the reason, it still sucks :mad:
If it sucks for you, do something to reduce your dependence on oil.

For me, the gas price increase equates to ~$1 a week :yawn:

Elle

Happy Camper!
2 weeks ago = $2.05
last week = $2.09
last night = $2.15

I don't see that as a major hike in prices. Yes they have gone up but I guess since I don't have but a 5 mile commute to work that it doesn't really affect me as much as some of you.

ylexot

Super Genius
aps45819 said:
:yeahthat: even riding the bike, I'm still spending around $10 a week on gas.
I only use ~10 gallons/week. I have a relatively short commute at mostly highway speeds with a reasonably fuel-efficient vehicle (~25mpg). So, a $0.10/gallon price hike equates to ~$1 increase per week.

SamSpade

slik said:
http://www.forbes.com/business/healthcare/feeds/ap/2005/12/15/ap2394225.html

OK - call me ignorant but is there a reason the prices of gas have gone up other then the execs want a larger Christmas bonus ? :burning:
It's winter time..

Like EVERY other thing that has happened with gas prices, it's all about supply and demand. There's a higher demand for heating oil in the wintertime.

Why is it just OIL companies that get a bad rap, when their prices fluctuate according to the market? Why don't people get their panties in a wad when cell phone service prices go up, for example? Isn't it because THEIR executives want more money?

Toxick

Splat
SamSpade said:
There's a higher demand for heating oil in the wintertime.
Just like there's a higher demand for driving oil in the summer time.

So pretty much, the only time gas prices can go down is... never.

SamSpade said:
Why is it just OIL companies that get a bad rap, when their prices fluctuate according to the market?
Visiblity?

The fact that they're netting insane vast amounts of record-shattering profits, while I can barely afford to get back and forth to work.

The fact that unless I want to live like Fred Flintstone, I HAVE to pay the prices they set... It's not like there's an alternative.

There's probably other reasons they get a bad rap.

SamSpade said:
Why don't people get their panties in a wad when cell phone service prices go up, for example?
My panties do.

ylexot

Super Genius
Toxick said:
The fact that they're netting insane vast amounts of record-shattering profits
Movies shatter profit records all the time too. It's not because more people are going to the movies, it's because the price of the ticket goes up.

When was the last record profit made? Who made it? How much was it? Why didn't anybody complain about it?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
ylexot said:
Movies shatter profit records all the time too. It's not because more people are going to the movies, it's because the price of the ticket goes up.

When was the last record profit made? Who made it? How much was it? Why didn't anybody complain about it?
Because I don't have to go to the movies. I do have to get to work everyday and that requires I buy gas.