Gay TV

PmoneyandTT

Reading the Atl Journal - They are thinking of having a TV channel - exclusively for GAY TV.. What are some of your insights on this.. Im sure this debate will be quite interesting..

S

ShellyCW

Personally, I hope the gay tv thing doesn't pan out.  All the other networks dedicated solely to segments of the population are pretty useless (Oxygen, WE, Lifetime, BET, etc).
Economically it probably makes sense.  I keep seeing more women's channels all the time, so it seems that segmented tv makes money.

PmoneyandTT

Well in that case - since you selected a few channels.. Why not include - MTV - VH1 - TNT - TBS - Nick - HGTV - there are plenty of  caption TV stations.. What are the reasons - that you would not want this broadcast to air?  And the others you have posted about?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I don't think it will work out and here's why...It is geared to a very small percentage of the population, that by itself is not economically viable to me.  People will protest their sponsers.  At first glance it will have a following from homosexuals and curiosity seekers but will probably lag in ratings later.  Hey, what do I know about TV?  We have cable and DirecTV--500 channels of mostly crap.  Although I do like movies I hardly ever watch sitcoms or TV shows.

TT...let me hear your views since you brought it up.

B

BigBrothaCon

I will stay out this debate.  Way too controversial and personally I am strongly against this kind of broadcasting.  I will leave this to the moderates, liberals, and compassionate right.

S

ShellyCW

"Well in that case - since you selected a few channels.. Why not include - MTV - VH1 - TNT - TBS - Nick - HGTV - there are plenty of  caption TV stations.. What are the reasons - that you would not want this broadcast to air?  And the others you have posted about?"  

The kinds of channels that I listed seem unnecessarily divisive.  Nick is geared toward a specific segment of the population, but most adult entertainment isn't appropriate for children.  The problem with the rest of the channels I listed is that they air the exact same stuff regular channels do, just under a different rubric.  MTV, VH1, HGTV don't accentuate differences that we should really just start trying to get over, IMO.  Oh well, live and let live, I've got an ignore option on my remote control.

PmoneyandTT

Thanks BBC - you always have something inspiring to say..

I knew this would cause alittle bit of controversy.. But anything new would.. Well let me give alittle more detail - then I will express what I feel about the whole gay channel..

This is what some areas are thinking of doing.. CAble subscribers would have to specifically request and pay extra for it. This is Viacom.

Now a company called MDC said its planning to launch its own gay-focused channel next year 2003.  This one would be sold to subscribers as part of a package of channels.  So as a cable subscriber you would get it whether you want it or not.

My insight in all this - I know my true feelings about homosexuality.  If I had a choice not to have it - I would elect not to have it. But if it came as part of my cable channels - then it would be like other channels - not allowed to watch it in my house.  Because it goes against what I believe - and I will not promote that lifestyle..

PmoneyandTT

Well I guess the history channel should be banned also.. We can't hide or run away from past events.. It seems more and more - our past history is being shut out - and not taught to the children.. We will make the same mistakes if we don't teach our children that what happened - was a mistake.. No man should be treated like an animal..

Honestly what will a music video - do for you in the working world - unless you plan on being in that industry.. And even if you do - you gotta know the fundmentals of not getting screwed over.. MTV - is one of the most liberalist tv programs out there.. JACKASS being one show - I would say that accentuates - making a fool out of yourself - and thinking its cool..

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I almost fell over one day when I asked my sons what they were watching and they told me "Jackass".  It is appropriately named--those people are crazy.  Every fool has an audience.  They do watch the history channel, TLC, and Discovery more than the stupid channel.  

PmoneyandTT

I think that's our first mistake as a country - we don't promote education as much as we should.. Those educational channels are great - because they go beyond the classroom.. They just aren't promoted enough.. If we stop trying to promote more sexual past-time - maybe our children would stay on the top.. If we keep going like we are - in the next decade - china or even japan will be on top - because they take education very seriously.. We shouldn't use TV to string our children along in education - but we seem to put to much effort in trying to feed the flesh with sex...

We are infested with STD's.. Maybe because we allow TV to promote casual sex - in the homosexual community and the heterosexual community..

S

ShellyCW

I've never seen Jackass, but I can only imagine.  I stopped watching MTV years ago when they stopped playing music videos. :confused:

I'm not sure if I understood TT's History Channel example correctly.  But if I did-- History is a different matter.  We should all know where we came from as Americans, but try to look forward to a common future.

B

BigBrothaCon

TT,

TV, Media, and the entertainment industry all have one thing in common.  Money.  The mighty dollar.  Money is and always has been the root of all evil if it is used for greed and deception.  And that's what all these industries have in common, greed.  They know what people feed off of so they exploit it and use it for their own personal gain without adding any certain values to the programming.  People nowadays don't have any values or moral ambivalence, they have sex, greed, moral decadence, and sexual immorality on the brain.  The downfall of this society surely won't come from any bomb or terrorist act, but by the destruction of our spritual faith, values, morality, and family structure that were once the fabric of this great nation and the foundation of its beginning.  We are headed towards a future unseen and uncharacteristic of anytime before and frankly I don't see it getting any better.

As far as the gay channel is concerned, I will be sure that that channel will be blocked if DirecTV airs it.  I will not contribute to finances of that broadcast.

S

ShellyCW

Welcome to the ranks of the moderates, liberals and compassionate right.  :razz:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don’t know what the ruckus is all about.  There are tons of specific programs that I don’t care to watch and I don’t.  That is how I will treat this if it ever comes to reality.  As long as there isn’t a major public funding like PBS airing the show I feel it is fine.  BBC pointed it out that it is about money and if the program doesn’t get sponsors it won’t last.

Damn, BBC twice in one week I agree with you, are our biorhythms synched up or what?  

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm back!  Miss me?

Since I know something about television, having spent 5 years in the money-making end of it (advertising), I can tell you that a gay TV channel will last a year, get novelty ratings, then die.  It's a question of demographics, as Sharon pointed out.  Too small of an audience and, frankly, some advertisers will be hesitant to target a gay audience for fear of upsetting Ma and Pa Conservative.  They may think twice because, discrimination cries aside, gays nationwide have an above average household income, but eventually they'll give it up because the numbers just aren't there.

B

BigBrothaCon

Hey I am headed for a home run.  Twice in one week Ken agrees with me.  This might be a start to a beautiful relationship.:getdown:

PmoneyandTT

Its the money issue - but I think Gay tv will be here to stay.. People like that show Queer as Folks.. People love to see kinky sex.. Sex in the City is one of the top shows on HBO... there are alot of Undercover freaks out there.. This isn't going to die.. Im running into more gay men - then I did just 5 years ago.. So don't think its going to go away..

Amazing - Ken and BBC getting along.. Maybe you guys eating the same wheaties these past few days..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Keep in mind that Ken's on medication...:lol:

One show is a lot different than a whole network.  And if they want to have programming as graphic as QAF they're going to have to be a pay channel.  But what the heck - if they can make a go of it, good luck to them.  Cable is filled with niche programming so maybe a gay channel will do well.

TT, I'm curious why you think a gay channel would only be about sex?  Gay people honestly have more on their minds than that.  I think they're just trying to find programming that more reflects their lifestyles and issues.  The only thing on TV that's caught my interest recently is a documentary on SEAL training that Discovery is doing.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Quote: from vraiblonde on 2:57 pm on Jan. 24, 2002[br]Keep in mind that Ken's on medication...:lol:

Funny, that thought went thru my head too when I read that...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Hey, my agreeing with BBC has nothing to do with medication.  After the locals wore off I've been medication free.  Granted not pain free but medication free.