Gel Nails - pink and white

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've only tried nails a few times but I've never gotten two weeks out of them before they started to come off. Not just pulling up on the edges but actually coming OFF off. This time I got around 10 days out of them.

I actually have better luck with fake nails looking real by gluing fake nails to my my own nails and polishing them myself (not the pre-colored ones). The nail glue doesn't last very long, but I usually only use those for a special event, so they only have to last 1 day usually. The glue is weak enough that I can get them off within a few days w/o too much trouble.

In the past I tried super glue and boy that stuff lasts a LONG time :nono: so I won't do that again LOL

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You ladies are asking for them to be thin right? You can ask for that...

That's what my co-worker said - I decided to not continue due to the cost mostly - even if they could have done them the way I liked them to look, it still was going to be a high maintenance thing and I'm just not a high maintenance person. I like to keep things inexpensive and simple as much as possible.

I work my FT PAID job in part to fund my FT unpaid rescue work <g>. So I can't have too many extra expenses. I'd rather buy critter food than have nice nails all the time.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I bought the Shellac system with UV curer last year and use it often. It was a great investment and has saved my nails (and my cash). :smile:

fjennell

Yea, pink & white is not the way to go if you don't care for the "fake" look :lmao: I don't mind them bc I used to always get them before gel and shelac manis became a thing. But my roomie turned me on to gel manis, and if I wasn't so broke I'd always have them done with gel! For awhile I could keep up on going every 2 weeks. Kims in LP is our go-to and she always does fun designs for us. We just show her our pinterest nails and she does her magic :yahoo: When I had the manis all the time, my nails were definitely stronger. But once you stop, it takes a little bit for them to grow out so its best to always keep up with them, or not at all.

Also, whether I get acrylic, gel or shelac, I always keep my nails quite short. My hands just look weird with long nails, but mostly bc I'm a clutz and always manage to break even the hardest of nails on something if they're too long!

When you say "Gel manis" here are you referring to just the gel polish?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
When you say "Gel manis" here are you referring to just the gel polish?

yes :yay: the regular gel manis where they paint one layer at a time, curing each layer with a UV light. If you go to the right place, you don't have to just pick one color and get that all over. Most places will do designs for you. Roomie gets the gel manis regularly but she prefers to just get the "tips" done in color...so its like a colorful french manicure. I always like to get some kind of "accent nail".

Sweet 16

^^8^^
You ladies are asking for them to be thin right? You can ask for that...

You can also tell them you don't want the big "hump" on top, what shape you want (rounded, square), how much white vs. pink, etc. Many salons will use the cheaper light pink powder which is inferior to the darker pink kind. If they keep coming off then you have an inexperienced tech or one that just doesn't give a crap. Be specific and tell them what you want or they will do it *their* way.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You can also tell them you don't want the big "hump" on top, what shape you want (rounded, square), how much white vs. pink, etc. Many salons will use the cheaper light pink powder which is inferior to the darker pink kind. If they keep coming off then you have an inexperienced tech or one that just doesn't give a crap. Be specific and tell them what you want or they will do it *their* way.

I didn't know the customer had so many options but I should have assumed so. Now that I know more, I still doubt I will do regular nail upkeep like that (other then periodic mani/pedi visits) due to my farm lifestyle.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I didn't know the customer had so many options but I should have assumed so. Now that I know more, I still doubt I will do regular nail upkeep like that (other then periodic mani/pedi visits) due to my farm lifestyle.

I have gel nails, have for years. I do everything with them and very rarely ever break one. Go see my guy he is the absolute best have used him for over 10 years. Davis Nails 301-645-2418 ask for an appt with Davis the owner. It will cost you about $30 every two weeks for up keep. After my appt ill post a picture for you :)

Wenchy

Hot Flash
20 years later my thumbnail beds are still damaged.

On the rare occasions I go to a salon, I will only get a traditional mani/pedi.

I learned the hard way and have hideous thumbnails to prove it.

acommondisaster

I've been reading this with a lot of interest - haven't had acrylic nails in years (maybe 10); I gave up on them when I had a couple of bad breaks, so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to nails. What are shellacs? Gels are more natural looking than fake? Do they feel as thick as acrylics? How do I tell them I don't want them to have a hump? What will a full set of gel nails run - they need maintenance about every 2 weeks?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I've been reading this with a lot of interest - haven't had acrylic nails in years (maybe 10); I gave up on them when I had a couple of bad breaks, so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to nails. What are shellacs? Gels are more natural looking than fake? Do they feel as thick as acrylics? How do I tell them I don't want them to have a hump? What will a full set of gel nails run - they need maintenance about every 2 weeks?

Ok shellac is basically the same as gel, slightly different quality but not much different. Gels look exactly like a regular polish manicure except its stronger and feels ever so slightly thicker but not by much bc of the process of how the gel is applied. Basically each layer is "cured" with a minute of UV light. They paint on a layer, set it with the UV, paint another layer and set it with the UV, then either a third layer of color or their special top coat, and again set it with a UV. This whole process leaves you with a stronger color and literally seconds after you set the top coat you can shove yours hand into your purse and fish out your keys. Gel manis are not thick like acrylic at all and you won't have to worry about the hump acrylics can get. Also the term "fill" doesn't apply to gel manis bc after the 2-3 weeks are up, they soak the old color off and you pick a new color and do the process all over again with a brand new gel mani. A typical gel mani is about $25-30 and usually need to be redone within 2-3 weeks. I find certain colors last longer than others and the skill of your nail tech helps too. Does that help? :buddies:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ok shellac is basically the same as gel, slightly different quality but not much different. Gels look exactly like a regular polish manicure except its stronger and feels ever so slightly thicker but not by much bc of the process of how the gel is applied. Basically each layer is "cured" with a minute of UV light. They paint on a layer, set it with the UV, paint another layer and set it with the UV, then either a third layer of color or their special top coat, and again set it with a UV. This whole process leaves you with a stronger color and literally seconds after you set the top coat you can shove yours hand into your purse and fish out your keys. Gel manis are not thick like acrylic at all and you won't have to worry about the hump acrylics can get. Also the term "fill" doesn't apply to gel manis bc after the 2-3 weeks are up, they soak the old color off and you pick a new color and do the process all over again with a brand new gel mani. A typical gel mani is about $25-30 and usually need to be redone within 2-3 weeks. I find certain colors last longer than others and the skill of your nail tech helps too. Does that help? :buddies:

Sure helped me - I want gel now and I want to call San's guy ....... <G>

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
OK Heres some pics of my nails

Attachments

• Nail 1.jpg
    Nail 1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Nail 2.jpg
    Nail 2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Nail 3.jpg
    Nail 3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 91

lucky_bee

RBF expert
OK Heres some pics of my nails

:yay: love that pink!
but one question, I know you said you get gel, but are those your natural nails? Or do you get acrylic with gel on them? They just look so long! My nails never look like that, unless I put the "tips" on them. I have such child-like hands :lmao: small, short and stubby!

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
:yay: love that pink!
but one question, I know you said you get gel, but are those your natural nails? Or do you get acrylic with gel on them? They just look so long! My nails never look like that, unless I put the "tips" on them. I have such child-like hands :lmao: small, short and stubby!

Thank you me too, my nail guy is always trying to get me to use a different color but it looks so nice :)
They are my nails with the acrylic/gel over top. When I first started I had to get tips then as they grew out they become just yours with no tips. So I still get them filled every two weeks because they grow like crazy (I could go every week for a fill) first he fills with powder, then does all the buffing and stuff, then nail polish, then gel, then uv dried.

My hands are the oppsite so long I have to get my nails trimmed done each visit or they look extra long because my fingers are so long to begin with :killingme