Get rid of the A-10 ????

Chris0nllyn

Power is what keeps the peace, not Diplomacy.

I am no Historian , but I can see what happened in WW2, a time when everyone was cutting the military and it took so long to recover.
IMO we could not recover today. Our manufacturing processes have been sent to the 4 corners of the world.
Before we could manufacture the supplies we would need to fight we would first have to manufacture the manufacturing.

Is it?

Iceland has no military, and is the most peaceful nation in the world. Iceland also only has 47 prisoners per 100,000 residents, so in total, the country has less than 150 inmates. In contrast the U.S. has 716 prisoners per every 100,000 people, and millions of inmates as we all know.

Denmark is downsiziing their military. It also boatsts a homicide rate of 1 murder per every 100,000 residents is just a fifth of the United States' rate.

New Zealand cancelled the purchase of fighter jets in order to focus on economic priorities (imagine that!). While they have a relatively high incarceration rate, they are also working on a "common bordeR" agree emnt with Australia. Imagine the US doing that with Mexico!

In Austria violent crime is extremely low, and military spending is only 0.8% of the GDP. In contrast, U.S. military expenditures are equivalent to 4.7% of America's GDP.

Switzerland may have tons of guns per capita, but they aren't involved in conflicts around the world. they also do not export any weapons to countries involved in conflict. Switzerland is very tranquil, with extremely low levels of violent crime.

Japan's constitution prevents its defense forces from developing "war potential," which means that Japan is not a military threat to its neighbors nowadays. The country only has 55 prisoners per every 100,000 people and gun purchasing laws are extremely strict.

Finland is also looking at ways to cut defense spending. This northern European country, wedged between Russia and Sweden, has not been part of any international conflicts since World War II.

Canadians do not seem to be keen on military spending, their government has actually cut the army's budget by 22% since 2010. Military expenditure which is equivalent to 1% of GDP, and you'll remember that US's military expenditures is 4.7% of GDP.

While Swededn is one of Europe's biggest arms exporter, Sweden has less than 1 murder, per every 100,000 residents. The country registered 9,200 robberies in 2011, while in that same year, the US tallied more than 350,000 robberies.

Nothing have happened on a gloabl level since WWII. The US has stuck it's nose where it doesn't belong, again. We don't need a massive military.

C

czygvtwkr

Is it?

Iceland has no military, and is the most peaceful nation in the world. Iceland also only has 47 prisoners per 100,000 residents, so in total, the country has less than 150 inmates. In contrast the U.S. has 716 prisoners per every 100,000 people, and millions of inmates as we all know.

Denmark is downsiziing their military. It also boatsts a homicide rate of 1 murder per every 100,000 residents is just a fifth of the United States' rate.

New Zealand cancelled the purchase of fighter jets in order to focus on economic priorities (imagine that!). While they have a relatively high incarceration rate, they are also working on a "common bordeR" agree emnt with Australia. Imagine the US doing that with Mexico!

In Austria violent crime is extremely low, and military spending is only 0.8% of the GDP. In contrast, U.S. military expenditures are equivalent to 4.7% of America's GDP.

Switzerland may have tons of guns per capita, but they aren't involved in conflicts around the world. they also do not export any weapons to countries involved in conflict. Switzerland is very tranquil, with extremely low levels of violent crime.

Japan's constitution prevents its defense forces from developing "war potential," which means that Japan is not a military threat to its neighbors nowadays. The country only has 55 prisoners per every 100,000 people and gun purchasing laws are extremely strict.

Finland is also looking at ways to cut defense spending. This northern European country, wedged between Russia and Sweden, has not been part of any international conflicts since World War II.

Canadians do not seem to be keen on military spending, their government has actually cut the army's budget by 22% since 2010. Military expenditure which is equivalent to 1% of GDP, and you'll remember that US's military expenditures is 4.7% of GDP.

While Swededn is one of Europe's biggest arms exporter, Sweden has less than 1 murder, per every 100,000 residents. The country registered 9,200 robberies in 2011, while in that same year, the US tallied more than 350,000 robberies.

Nothing have happened on a gloabl level since WWII. The US has stuck it's nose where it doesn't belong, again. We don't need a massive military.

Put a few hundred miles of ocean between us and Mexico and I bet the border situation would be better.

If those European countries didn't think that we were protecting them I bet they would spend a little more on defense.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What weapons does the US really need?

We could have used nuclear weapons to get Saddam out of Kuwait in '91 by either directly bombing enough to get him to move or make sure he believed we would do it starting with incremental attacks. Instead, we went 500,000 men, thousands of pieces of armor and artillery, aircraft galore and naval stuff.

There was no need and no reason to do that. None, in terms of national security.

Our next folly, in '03, was more of the same but...more. This time we set up to do 'regime' change. Afghanistan is more of the same; war for...economic reasons.

All of this stuff is not for national security; it is for economic reasons.

C

czygvtwkr

What weapons does the US really need?

We could have used nuclear weapons to get Saddam out of Kuwait in '91 by either directly bombing enough to get him to move or make sure he believed we would do it starting with incremental attacks. Instead, we went 500,000 men, thousands of pieces of armor and artillery, aircraft galore and naval stuff.

There was no need and no reason to do that. None, in terms of national security.

Our next folly, in '03, was more of the same but...more. This time we set up to do 'regime' change. Afghanistan is more of the same; war for...economic reasons.

All of this stuff is not for national security; it is for economic reasons.

There is a fine line between economic and national security, I don't see that much of a stretch saying economic security is national security. Most wars have been fought over economics when you break things down into their simplest forms.

Need is an interesting word, most people throw it around entirely too much.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There is a fine line between economic and national security, I don't see that much of a stretch saying economic security is national security. Most wars have been fought over economics when you break things down into their simplest forms.

Need is an interesting word, most people throw it around entirely too much.

Ah, yes but, that is the crux, the heart of the matter; what IS economic security? A sound dollar is anathema to growth and growth is the new economic god whereby, BECAUSE we so devalue the dollar with most everything we do, discourage savings, obliterating the value of blue collar labor, growth is the only tonic for that sort of economic strategery. Thus, build new wiz bangs to replace perfectly sound platforms. I mean, think about it; in the economy most of us learned as a kid, the A10 would be THE thing to do. Paid for, proven, cheap, robust.

Not no more.

C

czygvtwkr

Ah, yes but, that is the crux, the heart of the matter; what IS economic security? A sound dollar is anathema to growth and growth is the new economic god whereby, BECAUSE we so devalue the dollar with most everything we do, discourage savings, obliterating the value of blue collar labor, growth is the only tonic for that sort of economic strategery. Thus, build new wiz bangs to replace perfectly sound platforms. I mean, think about it; in the economy most of us learned as a kid, the A10 would be THE thing to do. Paid for, proven, cheap, robust.

Not no more.

It might not be entirely that simple. I think a big part of it is that Air Force just not wanting to be in the role of ground support. But aging aircraft have usually had their life extended multiple times. Aluminum is a finicky metal, it has no lower fatigue limit, meaning it will eventually fatigue without even being over stressed, couple that with age and certain items just no longer being available (I had an issue finding certain connectors for an aging aircraft not long ago). The Navy retiring the F-14, saved a lot of maintenance costs, otherwise it was a fine aircraft that many favored over the F/A-18.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
problem is, Zomies don't like the A-10

its not a sexy zoom and boom aircraft
[think Top Gun]

it does not get the women excited

its like flying a cargo plane

which Pilot is going to get more action a 'Fighter' Jock or some shelp flying a C-17

I never bought the argument an F-16 [now 35] moving @ 500 knts can do the same JOB loitering over a battle field

There's talk of bringing out new variants of both the OV-1 and OV-10.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
You think a woman on a Harley gets turned on, wait till you get one flying around in a strap on 20mm cannon.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It might not be entirely that simple. I think a big part of it is that Air Force just not wanting to be in the role of ground support. But aging aircraft have usually had their life extended multiple times. Aluminum is a finicky metal, it has no lower fatigue limit, meaning it will eventually fatigue without even being over stressed, couple that with age and certain items just no longer being available (I had an issue finding certain connectors for an aging aircraft not long ago). The Navy retiring the F-14, saved a lot of maintenance costs, otherwise it was a fine aircraft that many favored over the F/A-18.

Interesting stuff but, that's not where I was going with this; how much army, navy, air force, marines, do we really NEED in the first place? Look what we've deployed and used in defense of a bunch of Saudi's with box cutters who would have most likely been stopped by the FBI had they been allowed to do so. We, as American's, go about things in the most expensive, least efficient way possible AND aren't getting good results. The US is much diminished this past 11 years and there isn't any two ways about it; using what we have have not served us well. We have hugely wasted the efforts and sacrifices of our people in uniform. We've used them instead of dealing with the larger strategic issues.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Couple of questions cause I'm curious:

1) I get the P-3s are older aircraft. Other than age of aircraft, what's wrong with them that we need to completely scrap them and go to the P-8? I mean, really, aren't we flying B52 Stratofortresses that have been around longer than I have? (I just turned 37 this past Nov) they just tweak here and there and ZOOM! off they go (while coughing up enough smoke to piss off a greenie, which always brings a smile to my face)

2) The A-10 is an awesome bird. Basically a huge ass gun wrapped in a super tough aircraft. What aircraft do we have now that has the maneuverability AND the survivability (if that's a word) WITH the firepower of the A-10? Cause honestly, I don't think we have that in our current fleet. I mean I hear all the hullabaloo over the F-35 but so far it's not impressing me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not for us.. It's going to be used in the A-10 role for countries that can't afford aircraft like the A-10..

What if we were to do a weapons exchange say, an Affordable Weapons Act, whereby we set a group of basic weapons plans and you choose the one that is right for you, your tribe and your budget?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Iceland is one of the whitest homogenous places on the planet .... and Al Sharptoune [and other race baters]are not there string up the Africans

C

czygvtwkr

Iceland is one of the whitest homogenous places on the planet .... and Al Sharptoune [and other race baters]are not there string up the Africans

They even have a dating app for their phones just to make sure that they aren't related too closely before they get busy.