Goat needs help

Chasey_Lane said:
There is an abundance of groundhogs this year. I see one at least once a week. The other day I was pulling out of my neighborhood and saw a mommy & baby. :smile:

Don't let them show up in my dad's garden, they may disappear. :whistle:

spinner

goats feet

You don't trom goat's feet the same way as a sheep, you pick up the legs like you would clean a horse's hooves. Call the extension agent for your county and see if they have a 4Her willing to help you. We used to do it all the time. And get some Hoof and Heel to squirt on after. Goats need to have their feet trimmed 'way more then sheep.

Atir211

spinner said:
You don't trom goat's feet the same way as a sheep, you pick up the legs like you would clean a horse's hooves. Call the extension agent for your county and see if they have a 4Her willing to help you. We used to do it all the time. And get some Hoof and Heel to squirt on after. Goats need to have their feet trimmed 'way more then sheep.

I'm sorry, but why do people own animals that they can't or don't know how to take care of???? Really urks me! Hello people out there - before you purchase an animal, make sure you know what it's going to take to at least make sure it's healthy !

PrepH4U

Atir211 said:
I'm sorry, but why do people own animals that they can't or don't know how to take care of???? Really urks me! Hello people out there - before you purchase an animal, make sure you know what it's going to take to at least make sure it's healthy !
:yeahthat: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the hooves are getting long and needed a trim months ago. Whoops walking on their knees now, I guess I should post in a forum and try to find a farrier's number now or better yet get someone to do it for free, before I call a vet for her medical needs so it doesn't look like I don't take care of her. I am not a fan of goats but, just thinking about that poor thing having to walk on it's knees is really pissing me off! :wench:

D

dems4me

PrepH4U said:
:yeahthat: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the hooves are getting long and needed a trim months ago. Whoops walking on their knees now, I guess I should post in a forum and try to find a farrier's number now or better yet get someone to do it for free, before I call a vet for her medical needs so it doesn't look like I don't take care of her. I am not a fan of goats but, just thinking about that poor thing having to walk on it's knees is really pissing me off! :wench:

I know this person and she is not at all an animal hater. She does do the hooves well. And I've helped on occassion and other "experts" have helped. I personally know that all her other goats hooves get done and are just perfectly fine so its NOT the way she is doing it would be my conclusion. Again, the other goats have never had problems or rot. The more I think about it, the goat is overweight and I think its arthirits. JMTC only because I can't believe everyone is being so quick to slam and judge someone so cruely and harsh.

I'm sure if she was walkingaround on her knees and in pain as the post implied, knowing River as well as I do, she would have shot it and put it out of its misery without hesitation so it tells me right there, it can't be all that bad as implied. Could be she was just trying to get a number of a farrier as her posted stated, and this is something the goat was doing temporarily.

The goat enclosuer that is set up is very dry and more than adequately
designed for space, no leaks. They practicaly have their own house that yes she built on her own providing for these very loved goats. There is also acres for them to roam, she's donated practically her entire yard keeping these fenced in - yes a fence she put up for her loved (NOT ABUSED) goats.

I cant sit by and watch a friend get unfairly judged the way she was on here, and therefore this post. River Rat wasn't asking for an opinion on whether ANYONE thought she was fit for animals, it is quite clear and quite concise in her post. She was merely asking for a number of a farrier who would probably be able to answer all of her concerns more fully and I guess she's probably learned a lesson. Don't EVER come onthe forums trying to get help no matter what. She put the goats need above her own by creating a post asking for farrier suggestions, recommendations or phone numbers and as a result the thread ended in condemnation of someone YOU ALL DON'T EVEN KNOW IN PERSON just from what is perceived from a few words posted on a thread. That is NOT enough to completely judge someones character and have it tarnished like it was in this thread.

To all that responded harshly, unless you can recommend a goat weblink, assistance or a farrier, please go back to the rock you crawled out from under - you're comments are negative, highly unnecessary and not beneficial to the topic at hand. Its crap like this that makes me ashamed to even be a part of these forums anymore. :frown:

PrepH4U

dems4me said:
I know this person and she is not at all an animal hater. No one said she was an animal hater.
She does do the hooves well. Ok whatever....
river rat herself posted -
She is down on her knees and I just can't master this for some reason.
Happy I know you tried to learn me but some things I just ain't good at and that's one of them.

And I've helped on occassion and other "experts" have helped. I personally know that all her other goats hooves get done and are just perfectly fine so its NOT the way she is doing it would be my conclusion.
Ok see above post

Again, the other goats have never had problems or rot. The more I think about it, the goat is overweight and I think its arthirits. JMTC only because I can't believe everyone is being so quick to slam and judge someone so cruely and harsh.
I'm sure if she was walkingaround on her knees and in pain as the post implied, knowing River as well as I do, she would have shot it and put it out of its misery without hesitation so it tells me right there, it can't be all that bad as implied.
Oh really??? What is wrong with calling a vet for a house call instead of shooting it or finding out what is wrong???

Could be she was just trying to get a number of a farrier as her posted stated, and this is something the goat was doing temporarily.
That is a statement I agree with, it may not need a trim at all but a hoof problem which would require a farrier or a vet.

The goat enclosuer that is set up is very dry and more than adequately
designed for space, no leaks. They practicaly have their own house that yes she built on her own providing for these very loved goats. There is also acres for them to roam, she's donated practically her entire yard keeping these fenced in - yes a fence she put up for her loved (NOT ABUSED) goats.

And that is what responsible pet owners are supposed to do, that is not above and beyond in my opinion.

I cant sit by and watch a friend get unfairly judged the way she was on here, and therefore this post. River Rat wasn't asking for an opinion on whether ANYONE thought she was fit for animals, it is quite clear and quite concise in her post. She was merely asking for a number of a farrier who would probably be able to answer all of her concerns more fully and I guess she's probably learned a lesson.
She should have already had on hand a fairriers number that she dealt with if she can't trim the hooves herself. :shrug:

Don't EVER come onthe forums trying to get help no matter what. She put the goats need above her own by creating a post asking for farrier suggestions, recommendations or phone numbers and as a result the thread ended in condemnation of someone YOU ALL DON'T EVEN KNOW IN PERSON just from what is perceived from a few words posted on a thread. That is NOT enough to completely judge someones character and have it tarnished like it was in this thread.
Dems this is a general public forum, which all responses will have different opinons and answers. Maybe she should have posted clearly and concisely the condition of the animal and no one would have misinterupted the condition of the animal.

To all that responded harshly, unless you can recommend a goat weblink, assistance or a farrier, please go back to the rock you crawled out from under - you're comments are negative, highly unnecessary and not beneficial to the topic at hand. Its crap like this that makes me ashamed to even be a part of these forums anymore. :frown:
Crawling out from under my rock to say, get a dam grip. Are you saying you don't remember many posters before not knowing how to take care of an animal? Are you forgetting about a horse that was rescued because of this forum. Animal lovers are a passionate group so whenever someone posts about a problem expect to get many questions in order to come to a proper answer. Maybe she should have posted... excuse me I am Dems friend and I am having this problem with my goat, so all the answers and opinions would have been sanitized to meet your expectations.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
spinner said:

Same premise is what I was getting at. And if they're that bad, you can't trim much to begin with.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

PrepH4U said:
Crawling out from under my rock to say, get a dam grip. Are you saying you don't remember many posters before not knowing how to take care of an animal? Are you forgetting about a horse that was rescued because of this forum. Animal lovers are a passionate group so whenever someone posts about a problem expect to get many questions in order to come to a proper answer. Maybe she should have posted... excuse me I am Dems friend and I am having this problem with my goat, so all the answers and opinions would have been sanitized to meet your expectations.

Yes, but folks dont understand the breadth of the situation in its entirety, how do you know she didn't rescue these goats and it was a condition when she got them? Answer is yes, they were rescued as they were meat goats - all three of them and she's had them for at least 7 years that I'm aware of. If she's such a bad owner than why after 7 years is this a sudden problem instead of a recurring problem. Another forumite came to help a few years ago and said the toes were fine and she'd been doing a good job and there was no funky rot smell or anything. Im thinking it could just be arthiritis or something. Im sure shes called a vet but I know from my experience alot of local vets can't help with goats and I cant see her lugging them into a borrowed truck then into a waiting room full of cats and dogs in Waldorf then cleaning up their droppings every 5 minutes. I personally don't know of any vets that make house calls either. I suggested she post a thread and maybe someone can suggest some recommendations. During the tornado of 2002 was River inside during the tornado while living in LaPlata? No, she was out in the barn with her animals making sure everything was ok and they were calm during the tornado and huge hail balls. I was there telling her to take cover inside a house, not a barn with her three goats. Then she posts a thread and folks say she doesn't deserve animals. That just irratates me. Has nothing to do with "its ok, itsa friend of mine" it has to do with people judging people they don't even know by one post in a thread or something. And in a thread about an animal they know nothing about. I think it was just mean but then again, I'm not the one going around calling myself an ass salve.

dems4me said:
Yes, but folks dont understand the breadth of the situation in its entirety, how do you know she didn't rescue these goats and it was a condition when she got them? Answer is yes, they were rescued as they were meat goats - all three of them and she's had them for at least 7 years that I'm aware of. If she's such a bad owner than why after 7 years is this a sudden problem instead of a recurring problem. Another forumite came to help a few years ago and said the toes were fine and she'd been doing a good job and there was no funky rot smell or anything. Im thinking it could just be arthiritis or something. Im sure shes called a vet but I know from my experience alot of local vets can't help with goats and I cant see her lugging them into a borrowed truck then into a waiting room full of cats and dogs in Waldorf then cleaning up their droppings every 5 minutes. I personally don't know of any vets that make house calls either. I suggested she post a thread and maybe someone can suggest some recommendations. During the tornado of 2002 was River inside during the tornado while living in LaPlata? No, she was out in the barn with her animals making sure everything was ok and they were calm during the tornado and huge hail balls. I was there telling her to take cover inside a house, not a barn with her three goats. Then she posts a thread and folks say she doesn't deserve animals. That just irratates me. Has nothing to do with "its ok, itsa friend of mine" it has to do with people judging people they don't even know by one post in a thread or something. And in a thread about an animal they know nothing about. I think it was just mean but then again, I'm not the one going around calling myself an ass salve.

So... did she find help for the goat yet or what...:confused:

D

dems4me

kwillia said:

Yep!! :huggy: But I really don't think its the feet. Theres never been problems with the other goats and there's no funky smell and she certainly is one of the finest animal caregivers around and just recently took in a dog from Lucky Ones. What worries me is maybe its something more serious like arthiritis. Or things could get lucky and come tofind out its just a pebble or something that got embedded in the hooves :shrug: I do still regret however suggesting to her to post asking for advice though. :frown: I guess the goat forum can be meaner than the horse forum :lol:

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
spinner said:

Thanks spinner....4H.....why didn't I think of that???

PrepH4U

dems4me said:
Yes, but folks dont understand the breadth of the situation in its entirety, how do you know she didn't rescue these goats and it was a condition when she got them? Answer is yes, they were rescued as they were meat goats - all three of them and she's had them for at least 7 years that I'm aware of. If she's such a bad owner than why after 7 years is this a sudden problem instead of a recurring problem. Another forumite came to help a few years ago and said the toes were fine and she'd been doing a good job and there was no funky rot smell or anything. Im thinking it could just be arthiritis or something. Im sure shes called a vet but I know from my experience alot of local vets can't help with goats
So she did call a vet and they refused to help?

and I cant see her lugging them into a borrowed truck then into a waiting room full of cats and dogs in Waldorf then cleaning up their droppings every 5 minutes. I personally don't know of any vets that make house calls either.
For your future use -Tidewater Vets in Mechanicsville make house calls for farm animals and many people take their livestock there if they have no house call appts available. I believe the "droppings" you mentioned is something they are used to.
I suggested she post a thread and maybe someone can suggest some recommendations.
I did post a recommendation, I said call a vet! What was wrong with that advice?

During the tornado of 2002 was River inside during the tornado while living in LaPlata? No, she was out in the barn with her animals making sure everything was ok and they were calm during the tornado and huge hail balls. I was there telling her to take cover inside a house, not a barn with her three goats.

Then she posts a thread and folks say she doesn't deserve animals. That just irratates me. Has nothing to do with "its ok, itsa friend of mine" it has to do with people judging people they don't even know by one post in a thread or something.
Do you think a little history about the animal would have helped in the post? Yes it would have saved a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings. I am sorry the goat is sick right now, I hope it gets better.

And in a thread about an animal they know nothing about. I think it was just mean but then again, I'm not the one going around calling myself an ass salve.
hmmm why did I call myself an ass salve? Just for people just like you who post their life history on the net and then get bent out of shape if they get advice or posts they don't like. :jameo: :jameo: Have a good night

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
no

kwillia said:

No not yet. No farrier's numbers posted on this thread.
However Spinner informed me that 4 H'ers are a good contact.

However, I have been informed that I suck and should not have goats. :killingme:

D

dems4me

river rat said:
Thanks spinner....4H.....why didn't I think of that???

I'll beat them to the punch before they do -- the answer is "you should surround yourself with smarter friends" :lol:

dems4me said:
I'll beat them to the punch before they do -- the answer is "you should surround yourself with smarter friends" :lol:
Dems... the goat is still hurting...:frown: Don't you have some extra pain meds you can share with Bessie since this is going on 48 hours or so...:frown:

D

dems4me

PrepH4U said:
hmmm why did I call myself an ass salve? Just for people just like you who post their life history on the net and then get bent out of shape if they get advice or posts they don't like. :jameo: :jameo: Have a good night

Just be careful what you are shoving up your azz :huggy: