Goat needs help

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
um...goats get on their knees to graze on a regular basis. might not be her feet at all.
Just a thought....
Glad she got help. I was out there about a year ago, and trimmed them. they were long, but certainly not abused, and the housing conditions were absolutely fine! Sorry i just haven't had time to slip out Dems, this flooding where i work has been a mess for me plus school and rottncop is on lates. :dead:

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
K

kwillia said:
Dems... the goat is still hurting...:frown: Don't you have some extra pain meds you can share with Bessie since this is going on 48 hours or so...:frown:

The goat is fine.....oh yeah. When the barn door was left open earlier, she was just fine in her escape towards the veggie garden. :lol:

PrepH4U

river rat said:
The goat is fine.....oh yeah. When the barn door was left open earlier, she was just fine in her escape towards the veggie garden. :lol:
That's good to hear, did you see my mention of tidewater vet clinic for in the future? Also now would be a good time to maybe go to the horse forum for a list of farriers. There are many posts in there about farriers.

Atir211

river rat said:
I need a farrier that will clip a goats hooves. BAD!!
She is down on her knees :bawl: and I just can't master this for some reason.
Happy I know you tried to learn me but some things I just ain't good at and that's one of them.:ohwell:
Could ya'll drop some farriers names and numbers?

I was just going by what was stated in the original post. "I just can't master this for some reason". Sounds like someone who has animals they don't know how to take care of.

And if you have owned the same animals for years and they need routine care - I would think that you would either be able to do it yourself or know who to contact to have it done before things got out of control and you needed a forum to ask for help.

As for being criticized for being harsh about possible animal neglect and judging someone that I don't know - when you come onto a public forum and don't explain the whole situation - expect it from people who actually do care about animals and their welfare!

spinner

goats feet

Most farriers will not come to trim anything but horse's feet. Tidewater might be able to help you- a couple of their vet's have had goats and I know at least one woman in the office did when she was in 4H. If you can get them trimmed to a good length, do them regularly so they don't get too long. Some goat's feet just grow fast. I have one here now that is like that, he needs them trimmed every couple of weeks. Find a 4Her than can show you how to do it properly, I was amazed at how much you have to take off, not just the outside but the inside and the heel also. Once somebody teaches you it isn't so hard, but if you have a bunch to trim a stand is a good idea, makes it easier on your back.
Goats will also get on their knees if they have CAE and it is flaring up. Look at her knees and see if they are swollen. Goats with CAE can live a long time but it flares up if they are stressed. They also can get foot scald, look in between the toes for redness, use the "Hoof and Heel" to dry it up. They can get hoof or foot rot but thats unusual, they are more apt to get the scald.
I don't know what county you are in but there are lots of willing helpers out there if you ask. We all need help sometimes.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Better now

Lilypad said:
How's your goat today?? :flowers:

She is doing soooo much better now.
Busterduck fixed her up real good :yeah:

Busterduck came, saw and kicked butt, Goatie Goat is on the road to grazing again.
What is funny though is know I am afraid she is going to go back to her mischevious ways. She was always so good at breaking out of the barnyard.

Lilypad

Great news! :kiss:

Each sunny day upon my way
A goat I pass;
She has a beard of silver grey,
A bell of brass.
And all the while I am in sight
She seems to muse,
And stares at me with all her might
And chews and chews.

Upon the hill so thymy sweet
With joy of Spring,