Goats

highnote

Field fence is the best ( not the wielded wire, it bends too easily), but we have had an electric strand around our fence before to keep them off the fence and it worked. How many strands of wire are on your fence?

Currently two strands, but we could easily add a 3rd (or even a 4th) if we needed to.

I just can't imagine a goat pushing through an electrified fence. If he can't get under or over it, he would honestly push through while being shocked?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Currently two strands, but we could easily add a 3rd (or even a 4th) if we needed to.

I just can't imagine a goat pushing through an electrified fence. If he can't get under or over it, he would honestly push through while being shocked?

3 different goats I had did (get shocked to escape) and I didn't even have them all at the same time for 1 for mimic the other ..... it was their drive to escape that fueled them I guess. However, I have known people to have a goat or two that did not try to escape but that was certainly in the minority.

highnote

3 different goats I had did (get shocked to escape) and I didn't even have them all at the same time for 1 for mimic the other ..... it was their drive to escape that fueled them I guess. However, I have known people to have a goat or two that did not try to escape but that was certainly in the minority.

What breed/gender/age were yours, and what breed/gender/age were your friends' who did not escape?

Trying to determine if I would be OK with electric fence as long as I get the right breed & the right gender & the right age :) Maybe there's a common thread in finding that "perfect goat"!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What breed/gender/age were yours, and what breed/gender/age were your friends' who did not escape?

Trying to determine if I would be OK with electric fence as long as I get the right breed & the right gender & the right age :) Maybe there's a common thread in finding that "perfect goat"!

I wish I could be more helpful but I only recall that Noah was a cross breed and the other 2 were purebred but I don't recall the breeds. The ones I know that didn't try to escape belong to my neighbor and they are pygmy's (size) and probably are mixed breed.

Maybe one of the goat people would have a suggestion.

Cowgirl

My friend has goats and keeps them in with a 4 strand electric tape fence. They do respect it if they learn early, IMO. I have a hot wire inside my field fence and it works great, they never even touch the fence. I have seen goats jump right through an electric fence though. It really depends on the breed. I have Oberhaslis and they are the most laid-back breed of goat I've ever owned. They're quiet and calm and not nearly as naughty as other breeds I've owned.

jedi2814

I have 6 pygmy crossbreeds (somewhere back in the lineage was a Nubian I think) that do just fine in the electric fence we have set up. 4 does and 2 whethers. The only time they get out is when something happens to the fence, i.e. the GFI trips, tree limb took part of it out once, etc. they won't go through it if it is on, but they WILL test it every once in awhile and they will go through if it is off.

As far as feed goes - mine are spoiled rotten!! They get a small amount of sweet goat feed every day. The previous owner had done this and even though they don't need it particularly they make a lot of noise and generally raise cain if they don't get a least a little daily. They also like animal crackers, lol!

All that said I am looking to get rid of 3-4 of them -- they were given to me for my kids as a 4-H project but I can't afford to keep all of them anymore. PM me if interested. In the interest of full disclosure I will also say that they are not as tame as they once were. They are not at all mean and they don't butt people or anything, they just are not fond of human touch or petting or the like. We have a hard time getting our hands on them when it comes time to trim hooves and deworm. We usually sucker them in with the aforementioned animal crackers!!