Going away Gift

Freefaller

I have an 18 year old nephew who will be leaving soon for basic training for the Marine Corps. Does anyone (You military types) have a suggestion on a small going away gift that I can give him. Is this an apropriate thing to do? Thoughts please...

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I have an 18 year old nephew who will be leaving soon for basic training for the Marine Corps. Does anyone (You military types) have a suggestion on a small going away gift that I can give him. Is this an apropriate thing to do? Thoughts please...

He cant take it with him, better to wait and give him a gift after he graduates basic.

If you get his address in boot camp you can send him the padded insoles for his boots. Much appreciated. Dr. Scholls or something. Probably not the first few weeks. Wait til later.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
1) He is going to BOOT camp, not basic training.
2) Have a going away party and throw some beers with him.

I had a (family & tight friends) going away party thrown for me and we just hung out had some great food and icy cold adult beverages.

DO NOT SEND HIM PACKAGES IN BOOT CAMP! He will have to open them in front of the DI's then deposit them into the trash more than likely. If the Marine Corps wants him to have something, they will issue it to him.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
1) He is going to BOOT camp, not basic training.
2) Have a going away party and throw some beers with him.

I had a (family & tight friends) going away party thrown for me and we just hung out had some great food and icy cold adult beverages.

DO NOT SEND HIM PACKAGES IN BOOT CAMP! He will have to open them in front of the DI's then deposit them into the trash more than likely. If the Marine Corps wants him to have something, they will issue it to him.

When I was at Paris Island, we hated getting care packages. If they had candy, cookies, etc., everyone would eat them right before PT. :barf:

When I was at Paris Island, we hated getting care packages. If they had candy, cookies, etc., everyone would eat them right before PT. :barf:

Might depend on the CC. My boy asked for boot inserts and I was doubtful, but sent them, he got to use them.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Beer and a stripper, maybe a tatto

onebdzee

off the shelf
Find out if he has a bank account and throw some money in it....if he doesn't have one, get him a reloadable Visa card so he can get what he wants/needs

When they go to basic training/boot camp they get everything taken away from them and put in a locker until graduation, with the exception of his wallet

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Wait until he graduates. As everyone has mentioned, everything gets taken away and locked up upon arrival.

PsyOps

Pixelated

I think the best thing you can get him is to get family together and throw a party. Knowing where he is likely going, the last image he should see before he leaves is the people that love him most.

Salutes to your nephew. :patriot:

Last edited:

FED_UP

Going away party, don't get anything he will have to carry because you can only come with very little.

Freefaller

Thanks

To those who made thoughtful suggestions, I thank you. We've decided on a big family party and I will wait until he graduates before giving him a gift.

For those that gave smart ass answers, well, it was expected. Your type infect discussion boards everywhere so there's always going to be your type of responses. So go ahead and re-read your own responses, laugh at how clever you are and move on to the next post. We just have to sort thru your crap!

edinsomd

To those who made thoughtful suggestions, I thank you. We've decided on a big family party and I will wait until he graduates before giving him a gift.

For those that gave smart ass answers, well, it was expected. Your type infect discussion boards everywhere so there's always going to be your type of responses. So go ahead and re-read your own responses, laugh at how clever you are and move on to the next post. We just have to sort thru your crap!

Now now, lots of military here who have been there and done that. Expect some snark from old curmudgeons. They really mean no harm, even if annoying. Congrats to your kin for entering the service, and I wish him well. Letters are gold and care packages are always welcome. All his basic needs will be covered, so write and ask! I remember cookies and beef jerky were big hits. Anything you send will be greatly appreciated, and shared with his platoon mates.
AW1Ed
USN (Ret)