Good Hair Salons in the Saint Mary's area?

lbreder

2into4
I just stopped in Bella salon today to make an appointment with Christie and was given an appointment for April 8th. I've heard a lot of good comments about her from various people and now this post. When I got home to check my calendar, I noticed a conflict so I called Bella to change the appointment. I find out only several hours later that she no longer works there as of last week. (someone must have not gotten the memo) They would not tell me where she went, so now I'm curious, and a bit baffled too, but does anyone know where she went?

What??? Wow! I love her shes awesome. Thats sad she left cause I have soooo much hair to work with and shes always done such a great job. I saw someone put where she works now, but where exactly is that place? Thats sad to see someone go like that.

bluewater

Hey CBB, pull your head out of your butt for a minute. I am a client at Bella, always have been and always will be. Christie has done mine and my sisters hair many times and we loved her. Employment is not indentured slavery, people have choices, thats what makes the world go round, so get your panties out of a bunch and get on with life.

puggymom

Not sure if amyone is still looking for recommendations but I had an appt. with Cindy at S-Kape today. I feel like I have a whole new look (that is what I was going for btw) and was very happy with her.

angelbaby

In this economy you guys are still paying those high prices for haircuts? :whistle:That's crazy. Haircuttery is $16 for a haircut and $21 for haircut and blowdry. Before you get into the big discussion on you get what you pay for just remember this...they have the same education as your stylists do. They hold the same licenses. Matter of fact, they have continuing education and attend the same hair shows your stylists do. Just a thought. If you're happy with your stylist by all means stick with them. If you're still looking for somewhere to go I encourage you to give them a try.

lin

Ever wonder why those people are so easy to get in with? I agree that it is not "WHERE" your stylist is, but it means "EVERYTHING" that they don't have enough clients to be in demand, and if they were good then why aren't they working in a higher quality place and getting paid more? Not trying to argue, but that is how it works. Any talented stylist will only work at a chain place until they are good enough to get hired by an upscale salon. And if by some chance the stylist is happy at a chain, what would be the excuse for not being fully booked?

angelbaby

Ever wonder why those people are so easy to get in with? I agree that it is not "WHERE" your stylist is, but it means "EVERYTHING" that they don't have enough clients to be in demand, and if they were good then why aren't they working in a higher quality place and getting paid more? Not trying to argue, but that is how it works. Any talented stylist will only work at a chain place until they are good enough to get hired by an upscale salon. And if by some chance the stylist is happy at a chain, what would be the excuse for not being fully booked?

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. There are girls there that are fully booked with appointments and then there are some who are not because they are just starting to build their clientele. I'm just saying paying more does not mean better quality. There are also stylists there that have been at the upscale places and chose the chain over them. Some of the upscale palces don't get the walk in clientele needed to supplement the stylists income. One thing you have to understand is they are paid by commission at most places no clients no pay.

sweetprincess23

In this economy you guys are still paying those high prices for haircuts? :whistle:That's crazy. Haircuttery is $16 for a haircut and $21 for haircut and blowdry. Before you get into the big discussion on you get what you pay for just remember this...they have the same education as your stylists do. They hold the same licenses. Matter of fact, they have continuing education and attend the same hair shows your stylists do. Just a thought. If you're happy with your stylist by all means stick with them. If you're still looking for somewhere to go I encourage you to give them a try.

i agree with you. I have had my hair done and eye brows done at several of the local high end salons in the lexington park area because i was given gift certificates, or some other reason. Guess what, i prefer going to hair cuttery where i have the same two ladies do my hair. Once i had my eye brows done at one of the "better" salons and they burnt my eye lid, scarred and hurt for days. And the hair styling wasnt any better than what i get for way cheaper at the cheaper chain salon i go to. I am not knocking going to a pricier place either, I say find a stylists that you like and keep them but just because the haircut cost more doesnt mean it is better.

sweetprincess23

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. There are girls there that are fully booked with appointments and then there are some who are not because they are just starting to build their clientele. I'm just saying paying more does not mean better quality. There are also stylists there that have been at the upscale places and chose the chain over them. Some of the upscale palces don't get the walk in clientele needed to supplement the stylists income. One thing you have to understand is they are paid by commission at most places no clients no pay.

I also noticed that several of the girls at the chain salon i go to and other chain salons are here because of military hubbies. Maybe they stick with the chains because its easier to transfer to the next one when they move.

angelbaby

I also noticed that several of the girls at the chain salon i go to and other chain salons are here because of military hubbies. Maybe they stick with the chains because its easier to transfer to the next one when they move.

That makes sense. I can see why they would do that.

lin

Yeah, i am not saying they are all horrible, and to reply to an earlier point, Yes they are on commision. So to work in an upscale salon without alot of walk-in traffic, that tells me they are damn good! Because they are busy and commanding more money because of the reputation they have built for themselves, and clients will pay for the best! A woman's hair is everything!Consider going to Hair Co. or S-kape both in Leonardtown, they have different prices for different stylists and the lower level stylists are learning from the best! just my opinion......

angelbaby

Yeah, i am not saying they are all horrible, and to reply to an earlier point, Yes they are on commision. So to work in an upscale salon without alot of walk-in traffic, that tells me they are damn good! Because they are busy and commanding more money because of the reputation they have built for themselves, and clients will pay for the best! A woman's hair is everything!Consider going to Hair Co. or S-kape both in Leonardtown, they have different prices for different stylists and the lower level stylists are learning from the best! just my opinion......

Just a little more info. Look in the Enterprise for today (friday) in the community section. On the front page is an article for the Great Mills High fashion show. Haircuttery was one of the salons that volunteered their time. Look at the pictures and see the work that is showcased. You might be impressed. :shrug:

Last edited:

angelbaby

One more thing, I read a poll once that said 60% of people choose their stylist because of their personality NOT their ability to do their hair. Go figure that one! :lol:

lin

That's awesome! I believe in being involved in the community and volunteering, and if those girls gave their time and talent for free then it shows their ambition. Hopefully they will one day get paid what they deserve instead of half of $16 bucks!It takes high self esteem and courage in any career to believe that you are worth more. That being said, my original point is that if you are good at what you do then you should be compensated properly. I will pay over $100 for my hair no problem if the skills are there to back it up and the end result is awesome! good luck to everyone on their great Hair quest ; going to sleep now

lin

I am new at this, but in reply to the poll about personality, I agree with you to a certain extent. Yes, my hair has to look great, but I also have to have repor with someone and "enjoy their personality and the whole experience. In most of the "cheaper" places, with an exception or two, I find the stylists tacky, and yes even "trashy" I want intelligent conversation and professional clothing and environment. I want someone who is classy and confident and smart enough to know that if she is talented then why is she accepting so little pay. I wouldn't have cosmetic surgery at a cheap place either because a "great" doctor is booked and charges for it. No difference

Verbena62

Bella is horrible!

bella has lost all of their good stylists. has anyone figured out that BLUEWATER is the owner making good comments about the salon and stylists.

I use to go to Bella until I got tired of feeling like I was walking into a tween club in the evenings - the music was so loud I couldn't even hold a conversation with my stylist, Megan. She has since left and gone to Michelangelo's in Lusby. I would highly recommend her to anyone - she comes from VA once a month so her client's didn't have to find someone new when her hubby was transferred. That's dedication :D

Katie is ok, but she's still pretty new - she cut my husband's hair once and he wasn't happy with it and he's pretty simple.
Beverly couldn't tell time if her life depended on it - I was originally going to her, but the 3 appts I had with her had wait times ranging from 30 mins to over an hour. She's good, but not worth waiting like for - so I switched to Megan and have never looked back. I overheard several comments regarding Beverly's lack of concern about appointment times, so don't hold your breath if you make an appt with her - plan on spending extra time!

Calidreamer

I am beginning to wonder if there is anywhere in SOMD thats really all that good. I've been to quite a few places over the years and some were better than others but it seems hard to find some place to stay. Bella is a good example. I loved Christy but now she is gone. I even went to a Hair Cuttery for a while and liked the girl there but just as I got used to her, poof, she leaves and goes somewhere else. St Mary's seems to have more options but I live up in Northern Calvert and I hate driving that far just to get my hair cut. I don't really want to drive over to PG county either. I wish there was something this side of the bridge in Calvert. Sigh. Maybe I should hike up to Annapolis or somewhere...but again I'm driving forever to get my hair cut. I'm frustrated.

kalmd

I went to Hair Cuttery in California (next to Target) and the girl did a really good job. I think her name was Deshaun or Leshaun. I had several pictures I showed her and there was actually another girl working there who had hair that I liked, so she really knew what I wanted. I mainly just got a trim, but I had her give me bangs which I didn't have before. I'm really happy with the job she did.

DosGattos

I have been going to HairCuttery for about a year now. I really like Jessika. She does excellent hair. I have changed my hair drastically over the past year and everytime she does a great job.