GOP clown car has first occupant for 2016 ride: Ben Carson

acommondisaster

I prefer an honest athiest to a hypocritical Christian
Who wouldn't? Both groups require faith in their belief - so who would choose a hypocrit over an honest person? It's an obvious choice. There are plenty of Christians who wouldn't vote for an atheist, based on his/her faith that there is no God and there are atheists who would not vote for a devout Christian, based on his/her faith in God. Silly that religion enters the argument at all.

SamSpade

My mom told me that she knew him at Hopkins. "Did you know I scrubbed up with him at Hopkins?". She said what I had already surmised - that he is a positively brilliant man with a high degree of personal integrity.

That said, I still don't know if that's enough to be a good President. I'm reluctant to give the green light to anyone who hasn't at least governed a state or shown any sort of executive experience. As I've mentioned before I have a handful of "life axioms" that I see the world by, and one of them is that nothing speaks like experience. I'm far more likely to trust the successful experience of a man with average intelligence than the lack of experience of a man with exceptional intelligence.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My mom told me that she knew him at Hopkins. "Did you know I scrubbed up with him at Hopkins?". She said what I had already surmised - that he is a positively brilliant man with a high degree of personal integrity.

That said, I still don't know if that's enough to be a good President. I'm reluctant to give the green light to anyone who hasn't at least governed a state or shown any sort of executive experience. As I've mentioned before I have a handful of "life axioms" that I see the world by, and one of them is that nothing speaks like experience. I'm far more likely to trust the successful experience of a man with average intelligence than the lack of experience of a man with exceptional intelligence.

See, that's a reasonable approach, experience matters but, in the presidency, in politics, what we'd like to see, does it really matter? I mean, with Obama, OK, there is the obvious; clueless, but, he has NO experience at ANYTHING other than avoiding work and responsibility and winning beauty contests by speaking of world peace. Before him, on paper, served, MBA, political family, two term governor, Bush looked great but, he made awful decisions. Before him, Clinton was the hybrid; no private sector background or service but, two term gov. He was pretty good on many things BUT, like Reagan, it seems that was as much a function of willingness to deal with political opposition that held lots of power than any intent.

So, does it matter if it is someone with a heck of a non political resume? He deals with people, is accomplished, people speak very well of him, etc.... so?? Maybe that's a good thing?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Cheating was established by JFK
Lying was Nixon
Rape? FAIL

JFK was protected by the press as was prior folks. That was the times.
Nixon got kicked out for lying. Bubba, who stated as a young man that Nixon had to go for lying, not so much.

Google Juanita Brodderick.

SamSpade

So, does it matter if it is someone with a heck of a non political resume? He deals with people, is accomplished, people speak very well of him, etc.... so?? Maybe that's a good thing?

I was going to write more, but figured I didn't really want to - but I knew you'd mention this in lieu of our recent Presidents.

In my dad's day they made fun of the poor Presidencies of Truman and Eisenhower. He'd say "Truman proved anyone could be President; Eisenhower proved we really didn't need one". Case in point - if you think Obama golfs too much, he's an amateur compared to Eisenhower.

I think you've got to do more than talk a good game. Lots of people get out on the campaign trail and say all kinds of really blunt things - until they realize they have the real possibility of winning - or losing - the White House. It's easy to say bold things when you're going to lose. Not so much when an ill-spoken word can cost you the election.

So - what do we have? Who *was* a good President? What were his credentials? How far back do we have to go? I'm hard pressed to find one great leader who did NOT reach office with a long resume of accomplishments. Many of them, historical deconstructions notwithstanding were men of exceptional character.

I don't think this is looking through the lens of history with rose-colored glasses, but lamenting the fact that we now have what amounts to a popularity contest which is won by the person with the best PR machine and propping up a person who is beholden to others who hold the actual power.

There are times I wish we had a freakin' emperor.

Amused_despair

I think FDR was a good President. not for his policies that over time have turned out to be the foundation of the welfare circus we have today, but because he did STUFF. he would try to fix problems, if something didn't work he would drop it and try another approach until somehting worked. he enjoyed being President, he didn't shirk his responisbilities. That is not to say he enjoyed the perks and the pomp of the Presidency, he enjoyed being the guy who made the decisions. A big change from what we have today. When FDR and his advisors were developign the New Deal, the big thing they worried about was ensuring that it wasn't a handout program, they wanted people to have to do something to get the aid, that is why we had all of the different programs, the Civilian Conservation Corps, the TVA, all of the infrasturucture being built, etc. I think he would be pissed if he could see how it has all turned from a hand up to a hand out scheme. Did he mess things up? yep. Did he sometimes turn a blindeye to racism and segregation? yep. Was he perfect? nope, who is? But he did the job from day 1 until the day he died. His 100 days are the standard by which others are judged.

Midnightrider

I believe they were calling her a clown, which exactly proves my point. Thank you.

you would be wrong.

its an expression of many things fitting into soemthing too small to hold them.

I hope your point was that you really are that dense. You are welcome

Hijinx

you would be wrong.

its an expression of many things fitting into soemthing too small to hold them.

I hope your point was that you really are that dense. You are welcome

Something -------- Not that I am the spelling Nazi here but someone who calls others dense should know how to spell simple words.

And I realize that your brain is definitely too small to hold much.

But what the hell,being a clown for the idiot Liberty Beacon doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence.

Midnightrider

Something -------- Not that I am the spelling Nazi here but someone who calls others dense should know how to spell simple words.

And I realize that your brain is definitely too small to hold much.

But what the hell,being a clown for the idiot Liberty Beacon doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence.

hang on, are you calling me a clown or a clown car? since you dont seem to know the difference between the two i just want to make sure :killingme

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was going to write more, but figured I didn't really want to - but I knew you'd mention this in lieu of our recent Presidents.

In my dad's day they made fun of the poor Presidencies of Truman and Eisenhower. He'd say "Truman proved anyone could be President; Eisenhower proved we really didn't need one". Case in point - if you think Obama golfs too much, he's an amateur compared to Eisenhower.

I think you've got to do more than talk a good game. Lots of people get out on the campaign trail and say all kinds of really blunt things - until they realize they have the real possibility of winning - or losing - the White House. It's easy to say bold things when you're going to lose. Not so much when an ill-spoken word can cost you the election.

So - what do we have? Who *was* a good President? What were his credentials? How far back do we have to go? I'm hard pressed to find one great leader who did NOT reach office with a long resume of accomplishments. Many of them, historical deconstructions notwithstanding were men of exceptional character.

I don't think this is looking through the lens of history with rose-colored glasses, but lamenting the fact that we now have what amounts to a popularity contest which is won by the person with the best PR machine and propping up a person who is beholden to others who hold the actual power.

There are times I wish we had a freakin' emperor.

I know very little of Carson so, I don't know that he is saying blunt, unrealizable things. If you say he is, I wouldn't argue because I don't know. And I am not advocating for some new, untarnished person to be able to do much of anything in terms of new policies. A good deal of sound governance is in what you don't do and I think someone could, easily, spend 8 years tearing junk and weeds out and not really need to do much of anything new. So, don't come at this from a 'oh, what can the great man give us!?". Dubbya, again, ran a wonderful campaign against Gore. "Don't need to do much, leave it to the American people, be humble, especially with foreign policy..." Someone like Carson may, maybe, be the kind of person who is actually strong and wise enough to be more about what they don't do, avoid dumb mistakes, than what they do get done. We have this awful view of Carter but, frankly, he didn't screw much up because he didn't do much. Bush and Obama have proven that might be an under valued characteristic.

:shrug:

daileyck1

JFK was protected by the press as was prior folks. That was the times.
Nixon got kicked out for lying. Bubba, who stated as a young man that Nixon had to go for lying, not so much.

Google Juanita Brodderick.

"Broaddrick later recanted that affidavit when questioned by FBI agents working for independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr, who found her account inconclusive" and "But Broaddrick could not remember the date, even the month, of the alleged 1978 incident"
swing and a miss.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"Broaddrick later recanted that affidavit when questioned by FBI agents working for independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr, who found her account inconclusive" and "But Broaddrick could not remember the date, even the month, of the alleged 1978 incident"
swing and a miss.

Not so fast, shorty....

Broaddrick claimed she did not remember the exact date or even year in which she was allegedly raped, but she did supply the name of the hotel (Camelot), and the reason she was visiting Little Rock (a nursing home seminar) when the incident had allegedly occurred.[6] NBC News found that a nursing conference was held in the Camelot Hotel on April 25, 1978. The hotel was located in the state capital, where news reports indicate Clinton was that day, also suggesting that he had no known official commitments that morning. The Clinton White House declined to release his official schedule for the date.[5] Three weeks after this date, Broaddrick attended a Clinton fundraiser. According to The Wall Street Journal (February 19, 1999, p. A18), "Her [Broaddrick's] friend Norma Rogers, a nurse who had accompanied her on the trip", found Broaddrick distraught shortly after the time of the alleged attack

coinkydinks? Shirley.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
swing and a miss.

It has been quite the education watching women and the excuses made to protect him the last 23 years.