Got My Taurus 17 HMR Revolver...

S

somdebay

JustynSayneBand said:
There's no problems with that at all, I used to hunt them a bb gun myself, I just like to take advantage of the ones that are beyond 10 foot range as well.
Sorry, the opportunity was just there. LOL

...but it was more like 50 feet...but a shotgun works great on them at 10 feet!

R

RadioPatrol

Gee my Colt .44 came w/6 shots load 5 leave the hammer on empty #6 - worked in DC as a plumber for 4.5 yrs figured if someone tried to jack the truck the smoke and noise would give me a chance to get away and if i actually hit them the soft lead round ball would make a mess and be hard as hell to trace ........ hehehehe

JustynSayneBand

dustin said:
ever tried .22 shotshell? i heard its good on rodents up to 10 feet...

Yes, I have in fact, I have a brand new box of CCI's with the blue poly tip, great for mice, rats, chipmunks, and pesky non-song birds.

JustynSayneBand

Is there anyone else in Southern Maryland that has a 17 HMR rifle or pistol, Im curious to know what kind of opinions there are locally about the 17 HMR.

Ponytail

JustynSayneBand said:
Is there anyone else in Southern Maryland that has a 17 HMR rifle or pistol, Im curious to know what kind of opinions there are locally about the 17 HMR.

What kind of opinions are looking for? Like every other caliber on the market, there's gonna be folks that love it and hate it. I don't see a need for one in a revolver. But the rifle is just plain fun.

My opinion is that it is a REALLY sweet youth trainer and super accurate target/plinking/varmint gun. I believe the .223 can be just as good for accuracy and varmint but not really all that great for all around target and plinking, nor is it very good for a youth trainer (too much bang), but it is much cheaper to shoot (I believe) than the 17HMR.

My opinion is that if I wanted a youth trainer, I'd get a .22 just cuz they can be had for a song and shot all day long for less than that. For Varmint, I'd get a .223, though currently I use varmints as targets and conditioning for my deer rifle (.270 :biggrin:)

I ALMOST bought a 17 HMR. I think I have myself talked out of it now though.

JustynSayneBand

Ponytail said:
What kind of opinions are looking for? Like every other caliber on the market, there's gonna be folks that love it and hate it. I don't see a need for one in a revolver. But the rifle is just plain fun.

My opinion is that it is a REALLY sweet youth trainer and super accurate target/plinking/varmint gun. I believe the .223 can be just as good for accuracy and varmint but not really all that great for all around target and plinking, nor is it very good for a youth trainer (too much bang), but it is much cheaper to shoot (I believe) than the 17HMR.

My opinion is that if I wanted a youth trainer, I'd get a .22 just cuz they can be had for a song and shot all day long for less than that. For Varmint, I'd get a .223, though currently I use varmints as targets and conditioning for my deer rifle (.270 :biggrin:)

I ALMOST bought a 17 HMR. I think I have myself talked out of it now though.

I ALMOST bought a 17 HMR. I think I have myself talked out of it now though.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll be honest with you, the Taurus Tracker 17 HMR Revolver is expensive to shoot and they are not much good for anything except squirrels, and shooting holes in paper. Ok, for ground hogs out to about 50 yards free hand.

I just wanted something different I guess, I have all the .22 I need and most of my small game is taken with blackpowder, but, the revolver is really fun to shoot. It's a rock solid handgun.

I guess I'm mostly curious to see if this going to be big hit fad or is it going to grow old fast once the newness wears off, nationally, the 17 hmr has taken off like a rocket, and i've seen some video of groundhogs, it certainly does the job there.

The cost of ammo is the biggest problem.

Ponytail

JustynSayneBand said:
...The cost of ammo is the biggest problem.

Yea, that was my problem with it. Cost to benefit ratio just wasn't in my favor. There's similar battles going on with the high power rifle magnums now though too.

Years ago, my cousin purchased the Remington .280 when it was taughted as shooting flatter and faster than the .270. That it did. I watched him take a Whitetail at 250 yards as it jumped over a fence line...was the only shot he had. Lucky as hell in my opinion, but not a shot I'd even bother with with my .270. He got it, killed lots of other deer and chucks with it. But it also ruined much more deer meat than my .270 does. That .280 rifle sits unused, and ammo is hard to find. And you don't hear too much about that .280 caliber anymore.

dustin

UAIOE
hopefully with the increase in popularity of the .17hmr manufacturers will start to make more of it and drive the cost down a little with competition.

I'm eyeballing the Walther G22 now. :biggrin: CDNN had some on sale for $270.

JustynSayneBand

Ponytail said:
Yea, that was my problem with it. Cost to benefit ratio just wasn't in my favor. There's similar battles going on with the high power rifle magnums now though too.

Years ago, my cousin purchased the Remington .280 when it was taughted as shooting flatter and faster than the .270. That it did. I watched him take a Whitetail at 250 yards as it jumped over a fence line...was the only shot he had. Lucky as hell in my opinion, but not a shot I'd even bother with with my .270. He got it, killed lots of other deer and chucks with it. But it also ruined much more deer meat than my .270 does. That .280 rifle sits unused, and ammo is hard to find. And you don't hear too much about that .280 caliber anymore.

Well my biggest fear was buying a handgun with that small caliber and finding that it was junk heap, believe me there was a lot of thought and shopping, and a lot more internet research that went into buying this thing, certainly not a "spur of the moment, gotta have it now" type thing at all...

Now for the 17 HMR ammo, ballistic tip on small game, no way! I only use the CCI Full Metal Jacket ammo, solid copper, I have taken a few squirrels and I could not even find the entry / exit holes, it's a clean bullet, maybe too clean.

JustynSayneBand

dustin said:
hopefully with the increase in popularity of the .17hmr manufacturers will start to make more of it and drive the cost down a little with competition.

I'm eyeballing the Walther G22 now. :biggrin: CDNN had some on sale for $270.

I posted a message here a few days ago about Cascade Ammo, they had several types of 17 HMR on sale for $7.95 a box, that's a steal, however it was mostly the poly tip ammo, But, I did order 4 boxes of the "gamepoint" for $7.95, which is not a hollow point, but, more of a dimple in the tip, should not be too bad, but, I'll see what happens. Now, for my birthday, My mother and my sister picked me up 3 boxes of the CCI FMJ at Fred's in Waldorf, and she paid $12.98 a box for them, so as you see the price differs dramatically for those who want meat and those who don't, I guess I should learn to eat tree rat burger, the ammo would be cheaper LOL!

Ponytail

Well, you own the gun. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks now. You have a VERY good legitimate use for a tack driver. I only shoot squirrels for nuisance elimination from grandma's house. Enjoy it. Like I said, it's a really fun caliber. I know people that have them and think highly of them. You can read reviews from the "experts" till you are blue in the face. Only time will tell if it will be a caliber that sticks around awhile. :yay:

have you checked Sportsmans Guide for Ammo? Also, check with Dicks Sporting Goods in Waldorf periodically. I got a really good deal on Remington .45 ammo. I bought a case of it, iand it brought the price down to about $6.00 a box!!.

Last edited: