Got My Taurus 17 HMR Revolver...

Ponytail

star said:
what would be a nice small gun that I could carry for protection?

Don't do it if you don't have a permit. And good luck getting one.

But my Taurus .25 is ok for that. Can't argue with free. Though I'd rather carry something larger...9mm. Better would be the S&W titanium 357 Mag.
There are a TON of different ones out there for carrying. There's at least 12 that i can think of that I'd like to carry. Not all at once though...ok, maybe when shopping in Waldorf, but that's about the only place. :lol:

As for the Red Dot sites, I have the Bushnell holosite on my Super Redhawk, and I absolutely love that thing. I want to get something similar for my 1911. I'm a big fan of the Holosites and there's a few nice ones on the market that are similar. I never liked the Red Dot scopes though.

That Tracker is pretty sweet. I'm gonna have look into one of those. That's pretty cool. Good 'Chuckin' gun. :yay:

Ponytail

desertrat said:
Sounds like a nice gun, but I don't see how you push a bullet efficiently when the bore of the cylinder is larger than the bullet and the barrel? Seems to work though.

High power rifles are designed the same way. The 17HMR started as a Rifle cartridge. FUN caliber.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
star said:
what would be a nice small gun that I could carry for protection?
None in this state.
The government doesn't feel safe with allowing citizens tha ability to protect themselves.

Ponytail said:
High power rifles are designed the same way. The 17HMR started as a Rifle cartridge. FUN caliber.
Yeah, I just had a problem getting my head around the idea of a revolver with the cylinder shaped to hold a shouldered round.

Ponytail

desertrat said:
Ponytail said:
So it's illegal to have a handgun in your possession?

You can have it in your possession as long as it isn't loaded in your car, and there are 3 steps to getting it loaded. It can not be in the glove compartment, under your seat or on your person. It must be locked, in the trunk or obvious that an effort was made to make it unaccessible during transport.

You ARE permitted to have it in your home provided it is registered.

Ponytail

From MarylandLaw, NRAILA.com,

"...Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.
It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person. It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.
A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:
• To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
• Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
• While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
• By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.
During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person."

:yay: HTH

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Go with black powder revolvers. Not a firearm unless wielded in a crime.

dustin

UAIOE
JustynSayneBand said:
I'll be honest with you from my experiences. I paid good money for a couple of red dot sights, and I'll be the first one to tell you, they are just junk.

I don't care for them at all, most of them have those stupid little fuzzy dots and when hunting in low light I never could see what I was aiming at, the dots just covered up the animal / target and in bright light I never could see that stupid little dot.

So, I went back to putting a real crosshair on my guns. I think the makers know those red dot scopes have flaws, after all a cross-haired scope does not come with a shaded filter lens for bright light.

Those red dot sights remind me of those silly little useless red dot sights for BB guns, ever tried to zero in a red dot sight? What pain in the crack.

The BSA Pistol Scope I have mounted on those 2 pistols is a 2 X 20 and they come in silver matte, black matte, black gloss, and camo and you can find them for around $30.00, I have the black matte on my .32 caliber Traditions Deerhunter ball and patch, hammer-lock, muzzleloader, which is another awesome small game rifle I have.

Absolutely love the compact size and price, and never fogs up.
well if i got one it would be a cheapy, so yeah it would be somewhat of a gimmick.

i'll probably just stick with open sights, that way i can holster the gun at the range.

How is the DA on yours? mine is pretty tough. SA is smooth and crisp though. I shoot it more in SA than in DA. I've got about 350 rounds through it now and it's starting to get feel better in DA.

I'd also like to get my hands on a SAIGA 12 :biggrin:

JustynSayneBand

desertrat said:
:yay: How long before they plug that hole though?

That's why everything I own is blackpowder, except for my .22 Marlin my dad bought me years ago and my Remington 870 Express Magnum shotgun. I use blackpowder for 3 main reasons.

1) NO waiting periods for back ground checks
2) Can be used during all deer seasons, plus small game hunting.
3) More challenging than putting a bullet in the gun and pulling the trigger...
3a) That 1 shot better count and you better keep your powder dry.

I think blackpowder has become so popular for 2 reason, no background waiting time and advances in design.

Anyone want to buy Knight Wolverine LK93 for pretty cheap, I'm gonna buy a new one this year. I even have a whole bunch of #11 caps, like 4 tins of them. I am going to re-blue the barrel this year, I might even just keep it.

To answer the question, the probably will never put a plug in that hole. I don't see too many criminals robbing a bank or store with the intent to use a muzzleloader in a crime, that's just dumb.

Furthermore I'm not too sure the "average" criminal even has the sense to load a muzzleloader. I think most criminals buy guns pre-loaded out of a car truck and all they know is to pull the trigger. After the shoot up the clip they go buy another gun (LMAO) like a disposable cigarette lighter.

I can hear the criminal now, "Muzzleloader, what' dat?

However, I would love to watch a criminal reload after the first shot during a crime, you know what it's like reloading after the first shot while hunting? well, just imagine having the cops involved LOL, that would be funny to watch, just getting the bullet and powder in the right way would the challenge, and don't think I have not done it backwards myself, only once, but it's easy to do.

Let me know if you ever hear this on the 10 o'clock news:

"The suspect in the shooting standoff was armed with a Hawken .50 caliber sidelock blackpowder rifle"

Know what I mean?

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
How is that? The smoke give the person a chance to run before the bang?
No clue why it's like that, but with the antique or replica black powder revolvers you can carry them concealed (as long as you aren't committing a crime while doing so).

JustynSayneBand

Ken King said:
No clue why it's like that, but with the antique or replica black powder revolvers you can carry them concealed (as long as you aren't committing a crime while doing so).

This true, however, the catch is, you can not have the rounds capped.

JustynSayneBand

somdebay said:
I shot a squirrel between the eyes with a bb gun...and it only cost me $30 :)

There's no problems with that at all, I used to hunt them a bb gun myself, I just like to take advantage of the ones that are beyond 10 foot range as well.
Sorry, the opportunity was just there. LOL