Got the rona, here's what it feels like

Still no smell/taste - that is the most annoying part of this whole thing. I'm hungry and dreaming of cheeseburgers and tacos, but nothing tastes like anything so there's no point in eating it. Inside my nose smells faintly like PlayDoh and my mouth tastes like a stale ashtray even though I haven't smoked in over a week. I can taste sweet and sour, but not what it is. Like, I can tell the jello I'm eating is sweet but not that it's strawberry.

I'm at the grouchy stage of the recovery process. :mad:
How many days in are you from first day of symptoms?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are you saying that the ‘rona is the cure to stop smoking?

Well, honestly, I only smoked maybe 3 cigarettes a day anyway. I'm thinking about trying to smoke to see if I'll be able to smell it or taste it, but the thought turns my stomach. I'm a little queasy right now just thinking about it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How many days in are you from first day of symptoms?

It's hard to tell. When Monello came home 10 days ago with his diagnosis, I was sinusy - I chalked that up to psychosomatic crazy because before he came home and told me he had the rona I was fine. A couple days later I had a mild headache but no other symptoms. I started this thread on Monday, and that was the first day I had defined and severe enough symptoms that I knew it was the rona. So maybe 5 days? Or it could be 10 days.
:jameo:

It's hard to tell. When Monello came home 10 days ago with his diagnosis, I was sinusy - I chalked that up to psychosomatic crazy because before he came home and told me he had the rona I was fine. A couple days later I had a mild headache but no other symptoms. I started this thread on Monday, and that was the first day I had defined and severe enough symptoms that I knew it was the rona. So maybe 5 days? Or it could be 10 days.
:jameo:
Typically, It’s around the 7th 8th day when you start on the upswing or take the turn for the worse.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If I get shot by MS-13, don't let them record me as a covid death. :jet:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's annoying is that the "medical experts" are all over the place as to when I can expect get my smeller back. Five studies produce five different results - you can google it yourself. Of course studies are only as good as the people studied, and researchers rely on those folks to tell the truth .... So according to the CDC most people get their smell back in a couple of weeks, or up to a year, or never.

Way to nail it down, CDC. :lol:

TPD

the poor dad
There will be a new vaccine coming out shortly that guarantees your smell and taste to come back. Of course it will only be free if you got the first vaccine. The unvaccinated will have to pay $1000. And it will only be 75% effective.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
What's annoying is that the "medical experts" are all over the place as to when I can expect get my smeller back. Five studies produce five different results - you can google it yourself. Of course studies are only as good as the people studied, and researchers rely on those folks to tell the truth .... So according to the CDC most people get their smell back in a couple of weeks, or up to a year, or never.

Way to nail it down, CDC. :lol:
You’re going about this all wrong.

Now is the time for a Chili w/ Beans, Deviled Egg and Dark Beer Extravaganza.

All the way or even partially?

It's helpful to get info from real people rather than the fake crap on the internet.
Each case is individual. Of the 4 of us who had it at the same time each had there own experience of when there senses came back and how well they’ve worked since. Nothing you read will tell you. You have to wait and see.

Reactions: rio

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Each case is individual. Of the 4 of us who had it at the same time each had there own experience of when there senses came back and how well they’ve worked since. Nothing you read will tell you. You have to wait and see.

Wait and see isn't helpful. What is helpful is having people say specifically what they experienced and how long etc etc. That's why I'm putting all my nitnoids out there, in case it might give someone else an idea of what to expect. Obviously each person will be different on some level, but I'd rather have info from people I know instead of rando Tide Pod eaters on the internet.

So in your family, how long did it take for each to get their mojo back? Are you all smelling and tasting normally now, and if not what is the approx. decline?

Clem72

All the way or even partially?

It's helpful to get info from real people rather than the fake crap on the internet.

3 months and I got partial smell back. At 8 or so months now and it's still pretty much the same as at month 3. I would say I have maybe 33% of the normal smells back, about 33% of things I can smell, but they smell wrong, and 33% I still can't smell at all.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Z got his back quickly, about three weeks, it took L about two months.
3 months and I got partial smell back. At 8 or so months now and it's still pretty much the same as at month 3. I would say I have maybe 33% of the normal smells back, about 33% of things I can smell, but they smell wrong, and 33% I still can't smell at all.

Thanks!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My oldest took nearly 3 weeks. (upper 20's)

His GF's father said it was 6-8 weeks. (mid 50's)

Girl in my office (35) 2 months

I have a question, have you run a fever?

None of the people who lost smell and taste ran a fever but tested positive.

When I thought I had it but couldn't get tested end of Feb 2020/March 2020, I ran a fever but did not lose taste or smell although everything tasted and smelled like Play-Doh.

I ran a fever (100 to 101 average) for 7 straight days. 100% loss of taste and smell on 4th day. 95% came back immediately on 8th day which was 1st full day with no fever. Husband had least amount of symptoms, never 100% loss of senses. Son lost his on 4th day in and it took 3 months to come back. Mom lost hers on 8th day in and 1 month to come back. I was only one to run a fever. All 4 of us were on the upswing by day 8. All of those who I know that ended up hospitalized or dead took turn for the worse day 7-8 some were unexpectedly caught off guard because they thought they were getting better. I looked up the 7-8 day marker and found several medical studies who backed up what I was seeing.

Edited to say all of us have 100% senses back.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My oldest took nearly 3 weeks. (upper 20's)

His GF's father said it was 6-8 weeks. (mid 50's)

Girl in my office (35) 2 months

I have a question, have you run a fever?

None of the people who lost smell and taste ran a fever but tested positive.

When I thought I had it but couldn't get tested end of Feb 2020/March 2020, I ran a fever but did not lose taste or smell although everything tasted and smelled like Play-Doh.

I haven't had a fever, but can relate to that Play Doh thing.

PeoplesElbow

I love the smell of play doh, do gross things even smell that way?

Did losing your smell and taste help anyone lose weight?