Gout

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I have no freaking clue how I broke my toes. :shrug:

I am wearing a surgical shoe, whick keeps the pressure off the toes. It's not so bad. :yay: I'll be good as new in 3 - 4 weeks.

It's easy to break toes. You trip, stub it on something and there you have it. They are so fragile for something that has to support our whole bodies! Take it easy Nanny Pam and hope you get better soon.

Nanny Pam

OK troops....I want ya'll to know that I have been a guinea pig....trying to find a way to eat my favorite shell fish..... and I'm found something that works!! It wasn't easy, but after a few attempts, I have the solution.....

Swanson Superior Herbs HiActives Tart Cherry Extract 465 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products

I have tried these 3 or 4 different times and each time I was Gout free!
Valentines Day I ate about 2 lbs of scallops and about 15 huge fried shrimp! (AYCE seafood buffet')

:yikes: <---- that would have been me, without these pills, instead...
-----> this was me :biggrin: by having 5 cherry pills 3 hours before the feast! The cherry is reducing the uric acid in my blood. :yay:
Thus enabling me to have my pie hole stuffed with seafood!

:yahoo:

I have informed both of my Doctors and they are now passing this info on to other gout sufferers in the office.

I'll try to find cures for other illnesses.
What's next?

Nanny Pam

You heard it here, first!

also, I should add that I have been taking one a day since January. The day of Valentines buffet' I took 5 of them, knowing I was going to eat the shellfish.
Since then, it's been just one a day, as well. (without the shellfish)

Believe me....I'll be at the "shrimp fest" next year! :cheers:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
also, I should add that I have been taking one a day since January. The day of Valentines buffet' I took 5 of them, knowing I was going to eat the shellfish.
Since then, it's been just one a day, as well. (without the shellfish)

Believe me....I'll be at the "shrimp fest" next year! :cheers:

N.P., Dr. Lenny questions whether you really had gout. High uric acid level in the blood doesn't necessarily mean the pain, heat and swelling in the foot was due to gout. Only way to know is for a doctor to stick a small needle in the joint and look at the fluid under a microscope.

But, broken toes like you describe (second and third toes between the piggies and the arch) are known as march fractures (happen in young military recruits). People don't remember an injury but it's usually due to unaccustomed activity or new foot-wear.

Keep using the cherry extract stuff when you like, but most importantly, drink lots of fluids (non-alcoholic) to keep any uric acid from concentrating in your kidneys and causing stones. You might ask the doctor to check your blood uric acid level when you don't have symptoms to see if it's up or normal.

And one last thing for everybody, aspirin can cause uric acid levels to elevate and might make a gout attack worse.

Nanny Pam

N.P., Dr. Lenny questions whether you really had gout. High uric acid level in the blood doesn't necessarily mean the pain, heat and swelling in the foot was due to gout. Only way to know is for a doctor to stick a small needle in the joint and look at the fluid under a microscope.

But, broken toes like you describe (second and third toes between the piggies and the arch) are known as march fractures (happen in young military recruits). People don't remember an injury but it's usually due to unaccustomed activity or new foot-wear.

Keep using the cherry extract stuff when you like, but most importantly, drink lots of fluids (non-alcoholic) to keep any uric acid from concentrating in your kidneys and causing stones. You might ask the doctor to check your blood uric acid level when you don't have symptoms to see if it's up or normal.

And one last thing for everybody, aspirin can cause uric acid levels to elevate and might make a gout attack worse.

What! :yikes: I take an aspirin a day, everyday.
I have asked the Doc to check uric acid levels every six months with the cholesterol bloodwork.

How is it you know all this?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
What! :yikes: I take an aspirin a day, everyday.
I have asked the Doc to check uric acid levels every six months with the cholesterol bloodwork.

How is it you know all this?

Two years of fellowship in Rheumatology/Immunology after med school and and internal medicine residency, 30 years of medical practice. The one aspirin a day may raise the uric acid a little but it may not be enough to cause gout or stones. In a steady state, it may not be meaningful. Just need to be aware. That's why checking the levels between bouts of symptoms is useful.

Nanny Pam

Two years of fellowship in Rheumatology/Immunology after med school and and internal medicine residency, 30 years of medical practice. The one aspirin a day may raise the uric acid a little but it may not be enough to cause gout or stones. In a steady state, it may not be meaningful. Just need to be aware. That's why checking the levels between bouts of symptoms is useful.

at last check, it was 9.