Greatest bass lines in modern music

What do you think are the greatest bass lines in modern music (roughly, anything post classical, post-big band)? e.g., the bass line in Another One Bites the Dust or that from Beat It

Toxick

Splat
My favorites:

Rob The Prez O Dent - That Handsome Devil
Superfreak/U Can't Touch This - Rick James/M.C. Hammer
Money - Pink Floyd
Lowrider - War
Anesthesia/Pulling Teeth - Metallica

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What do you think are the greatest bass lines in modern music (roughly, anything post classical, post-big band)? e.g., the bass line in Another One Bites the Dust...

Oh, for crying out loud! My fish could play that line and I don't even have a fish!

This is a great bass line;

Smoke on the Water
Down on the Corner

(are those bass lines?)

You might be referring to the bass line in Smoke on the Water, but I'm not sure - the bass line isn't the most prominent part of the song, but it's prominent enough that it could be what catches you. I doubt you're referring to the bass line in Down on the Corner though - most likely Fogerty's lead, though it has a definite bass line sound to it.

Oh, for crying out loud! My fish could play that line and I don't even have a fish!

This is a great bass line;

I didn't ask what the most difficult bass lines were. Sometimes, part of what makes a bass line great is its simplicity (and that it's strong enough to hold a whole song together even though it's the same short riff repeated over and over for the whole song, e.g. in Beat It).

EDIT: Oh, that Barney Miller bass line doesn't exactly compel my body to reflexively move when I hear it - that's a big part of what makes a great bass line a great bass line to me.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I didn't ask what the most difficult bass lines were. Sometimes, part of what makes a bass line great is its simplicity (and that it's strong enough to hold a whole song together even though it's the same short riff repeated over and over for the whole song, e.g. in Beat It).

No! Never! Barney is a GREAT bass line. ABTD is pabulum. Pulp. Child's plays.

Now, I suppose we ought to discuss what makes a bass line great and, to me, it's gotta go somewhere. I can argue that the bass lines in many Judas Priest songs are 'great' but, the fact is, they are great backbones for the songs but, not great lines as in something you can really build some music around and, to me, that's where 'great' comes in.

:buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Smoke is a guitar riff with a bass line that comes in behind it

The bass line isn't the riff that every kid learns how to play when they first pick up a guitar - duh duh duh, duh duh duhduh, duh duh duh, duhduhduh - but the part that comes in about 30 secs into the song, after the lead and the drums are established.

Right? Or no?