Greetings from Bastrop, TX

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Fresh fish is the best. Do you let them go after injured? Is it just a sport? Just wondering.

I use lures or flies. They end up hooked in the mouth. They are easy to release to fight another day. Some places require barbless hooks which are super easy to release. I agree with the fresh fish comment. Nothing better than fresh caught Alaskan salmon or halibut.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I use lures or flies. They end up hooked in the mouth. They are easy to release to fight another day. Some places require barbless hooks which are super easy to release. I agree with the fresh fish comment. Nothing better than fresh caught Alaskan salmon or halibut.

I like that you go fishing in dress shirts. You deserve to be king of the forum. :smile: I came from a fam that hunted, and married a man who hunts. I don’t know why I have such an aversion to that when I buy meat in the grocery. I am not a vegan. I guess it is because I don’t want to slaughter them, myself. It makes me not responsible. :lol:

Monello

PREMO Member
I like that you go fishing in dress shirts. You deserve to be king of the forum. :smile: I came from a fam that hunted, and married a man who hunts. I don’t know why I have such an aversion to that when I buy meat in the grocery. I am not a vegan. I guess it is because I don’t want to slaughter them, myself. It makes me not responsible. :lol:

Long sleeve shirts while fishing provide both bug and sun protection. They aren't so much dress shirts as they are fishing shirts. The ones they make today are quite comfortable to wear, even in hot weather.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Long sleeve shirts while fishing provide both bug and sun protection. They aren't so much dress shirts as they are fishing shirts. The ones they make today are quite comfortable to wear, even in hot weather.

Thanks for the education on that. From your pics, I was thinking you are the best dressed fisherman that I have ever seen. Happy fishing! :smile:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Am I the only one who is most interested in seeing photos of the RV interior re-do? I want to see the pretty changes. Not that fish aren't pretty.......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dehydrated ice cream sandwiches are a thing. You know the freeze dried ice cream you get at the Air & Space Museum? Like that, only as an ice cream sandwich. They had them at the Bastrop farmers market so of course we had to try them. They're tasty but stick to my teeth.

Once I get my rug and throw pillows I'll post pics of the makeover. Right now it looks better, but not amazing.

Monello

PREMO Member
There was a bomb threat called in to the local Buc-ee's. More proof that Al Qaeda hasn't been totally eliminated.

For the uninitiated, Buc-ee's is a chain of "Texas-sized" gas station/convenience store chain offering industry staples (and more) on a massive scale. Motorists driving up to one of more than three dozen Buc-ee's facilities in Texas rarely need to wait to fuel up given the dozens of pumps at the typical store.

Inside each expansive Buc-ee's store, visitors can stock up on snacks for their drive, including items not offered at standard convenience store options — the chain's signature "Beaver Nuggets" referencing its titular mascot, comprising light, caramel-flavored puffs that can prove to be an addicting snack; candied jalapeños that are poured over cream cheese and often served with crackers for unique noshing purposes; "Sizzlin' Saltines" spicy crackers for those preferring a salty dining option; sugar-coated pecans; a dizzying array of beef jerky; and other unique food fare.

There are now 40 Buc-ee's locations in Texas, with the chain's status as an industry phenomenon firmly established. In 2012, the chain opened its largest travel center in New Braunfels, Texas, just outside San Antonio along Interstate 35. The New Braunfels location is the largest convenience store in the world at 68,000 square feet, features 120 fueling positions, 83 toilets, 31 cash registers, four Icee machines, and 80 fountain dispensers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thank god the Buc-ee's is safe.

We have been in almost nonstop rain since early August. It followed us to Gatlinburg, then Scranton, then Nebraska, and back to Texas. Since we got to Bastrop we've had a few days of rain-free weather, and one or two days in the 80s. Last year this time we were floating in the pool in St. Augustine and having drinks at tiki bars by the water.

Hello rain and cold??? We're trying to avoid you. Stop following us! :smack:

Last night Monello and I had our semi-annual fight to clear the baffles and ward off boredom. Dishes were thrown, cops were called, and we both spent the night in jail until the campground owner could come and post our bail.

Just kidding. Our fights are boring and consist of me telling Monello I'm pissed about something, him going, "Okay", and then we start talking about buying kayaks and what amenities we need in future campgrounds.

When I book a campground, I go on the town's tourism site and check out their events calendar so I can fill my datebook with things we want to do. There have been some fun things going on in this surrounding area, but rain and cold has hosed up a lot of them. Saturday we went to Pine Street Market Days downtown, which happens every month, second Saturday. A bunch of crafters and artisans, gifty type of stuff, and they had a big car show for Veteran's Day. This week is a bit sparse. There's a band that sounds good at Neighbor's this weekend, so we'll go to that.

People sometimes think that we're constantly on the go go go, but it's not like that. We live pretty much the same as anyone else, just in different locations. Laundry, grocery shopping, we're in the middle of a Modern Family marathon starting with Season 1, like that. It's not like vacation, it's just life.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Last night Monello and I had our semi-annual fight to clear the baffles and ward off boredom. Dishes were thrown, cops were called, and we both spent the night in jail until the campground owner could come and post our bail.

My FIRST reaction was: Broken dishes?? if you're living in an RV why haven't you invested in melamine dishes or at least the unbreakable corningware ones :confused: :lmao:

Monello

PREMO Member
The river is back within it's banks. Now it's just cold. It should pass once the weekend gets here.

Before
DSCF9678.jpg DSCF9726.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
Last night the local community gardens had steak night. The gardens is a sort of Wentworths meets a classy flea market. They have an odd mix of retail with the bulk being plants and assorted outdoor garden items. It's hippy chic in an Austin, TX sort of way. It's 1 of those businesses that you hope it makes it. They are a business but you get the impression that they are striving to make a difference.

The first time we went there we didn't really have any expectations. It was a just pop in and see what is going on. Vrai got a mum for our picnic table. There's a stocked pond and they have loaner poles. Kids have access to chalk so they can channel their inner Michelangelo and do murals on the sidewalk. The outside is dotted with picnic tables, elevated bar tables and several fire pits.

1 of the outdoor tables
garden1.jpg

Stage & tables
garden2.jpg

Our steaks were well seasoned. The check in process was a bit clunky. The line to check in was really slow. You got a ticket with a number on it. Steaks were cooked in batches of 20. We met our neighbors there. It wasn't planned, they saw us and came over as we were getting our table. Since it was nice, we decided to eat outside. The band was busy setting up and doing their checks. There was a cash bar but not a lot of beer selections. After we got our steaks we went inside to get the salad and potatoes. The spuds were enormous. We ended up chatting and comparing notes with our tablemates. He's also retired military, so we had a lot in common.

It was a pleasant evening with good company. The music was decent but it wasn't the focal point of the night, at least not for us.

And we now have our cable TV back. The campground updated their cable but ran into some compatibility issues. So we used the antenna and got 9 channels, 4 of which were spanish language. It's 68 degrees out. We have the screen door open and life is good.

Monello

PREMO Member
Campgrounds all over the country have a few things in common. In my pre-Vrai days, I often camped in state parks. Most are decent places with some amenities. They are a reasonable choice for the fiscally conscious. They are most often surrounded by forest. You get a bath house, site with a picnic table, most likely a fire pit, maybe a post to hang a lantern. The rest of the park is yours to enjoy.

Now we stay in commercial campgrounds. They have upgraded amenities and more of them. We seek out places that have a swimming pool. Bonus points if it's heated. There may be a hot tub. Many places have a social hall or some sort of meeting place. Plenty of places have cabins or other buildings that you can rent if you don't have camping gear.

Commercial campgrounds have a pattern to them. Late Sunday until around late Thursday afternoon we have the run of the place. Then the migration begins. All the weekenders show up. There is a lot of movement in the campground. You start to see more kids. The average age of the campground drops. Here a few of the sites have a fire pit. Ours doesn't have one and if it did, we wouldn't use it anyway. By Friday evening you can smell the aroma of the campfires. Adults will sit around them and drink. Most groups aren't very loud. Just working folks trying to recharge their batteries and destress.

This weekend, one of the weekenders showed up with a towable smoking grill. This guy wasn't playing. It had 2 large cylinder grills and 2 attached propane tanks. He had a bunch seasoned wood with him. We never did see what he was making in that beast. Only someone that is serious about their barbeque would own a contraption like that. But then again we are in Texas, the BBQ capital of the universe.

It poured last night. Today it's overcast and colder. Now the exodus begins. The weekenders are breaking camp. 2 of the tent sites were occupied last night. I'm sure it sucked being in a tent in a downpour. It reminded me of the time when we were in Marathon in the Florida Keys. 2 young couples were tent camping on the point at the campground. It was windy as could be and was probably going to storm later in the evening. The 4 of them were in the pagoda getting hammered. They were past the point of no return and were facing the night of having their tents blown away while they were in them. I told them to just set up in the pagoda, this way they would have some sort of roof in case the skies opened up. They were gone the next day and I never found out how they fared the previous evening.

Just a few more days here. We have BBQ brisket and beef ribs along with fajita chicken meat in the refrigerator. The anticipation is growing for our next destination. There appears to be a lot of things to do in Corpus Christi. We will be in a campground that is very close to the naval air station. I see some golfing and bay fishing in our future. Anyone that has been to CC, make sure you let us know the must see and must avoid places. TIA

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Last week in Bastrop and I'm in forward mode - checking out the events in Corpus Christi and filling my calendar. It happens that Three Dog Night will be at the Corpus arena on Nov 30, so I told Monello, "Guess what you're getting me for my birthday? Give me your credit card...." :jet:

It'll be nice to get back to the beach. I'm kind of scared, though, that I'll find another happy place in CC. I have too many happy places as it is, so I hope it's just another cool place and not somewhere I fall madly in love with.

When we go somewhere, I check out their tourism websites and other community resources. The official tourism site for CC is lame and makes me want to punch it. Their calendar showed nothing, yet a quick run around the website shows all kinds of events listed individually so you have to dig for them. Why is it so hard to put them on the, you know, events calendar?

It's rained most of the time we've been here in Bastrop, but we've enjoyed it anyway. It's still a contender for when we decide to come off the road and land somewhere permanently.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We were supposed to leave today but Monello had a medical thing and is in the hospital in Austin overnight for observation. He can tell you about it if he wants to, and as of this writing he is alive and well. Pushed everything back a day and will be leaving tomorrow instead. Yes, I'm worried but trying not to get upset because I'm sure he will be fine. Neither of us is allowed to croak over until after Grand Canyon.

We were supposed to leave today but Monello had a medical thing and is in the hospital in Austin overnight for observation. He can tell you about it if he wants to, and as of this writing he is alive and well. Pushed everything back a day and will be leaving tomorrow instead. Yes, I'm worried but trying not to get upset because I'm sure he will be fine. Neither of us is allowed to croak over until after Grand Canyon.
He has to make it to the Grand Canyon! Its to die for! But tell him NOT LITERALLY!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
He has to make it to the Grand Canyon! Its to die for! But tell him NOT LITERALLY!

:jet:

We're getting our ducks in a row to book our reservations for the same time you guys are out there -so he needs to get better fast! :mad:

:love: But for real & seriously, we are here for you if you need us. Keep up posted. :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
<3 Best wishes to Monello. Hope he is on the mend quickly, and ready to safely travel on to your next adventure.